Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Early Contender Barrel, Help

Early Contender Barrel, Help

I have this 44 mag. 10" barrel that's missing the internal choke but I have the key.
    How would I go about finding just the choke. And can you shoot it with out the choke?
    The picture from GA is NOT my barrel, I'm just using as an example of what I have. The barrel I have is un-fired (new condition). As they say new (old) stock.
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 11-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Bub
    That .44 Mag barrel you have is intended to be fired without the choke with bulleted ammunition, and with the choke when used with shot cartridges.

Try Thompson Center for a replacement choke.

Boolit Grand Master

You probably already checked GB, but what about Auction Arms? Post a want to buy here also. Might post on Speciality Pistols and Greybeard Outdoors also.

Might check with ED's Contenders, don't know if he carrys parts.

Boolit Buddy
    I went through this same thing recently with a 410/45colt barrel. Response from TC Customer Support

The choke and wrench you can purchase from us at 1-866-730-1614 with a visa or master card or you can order it on line. You can also send in a check or money order with the part number and shipping handling to Thompson Center Arms, 400 North Main St, Rochester, NH 03867.
    Call them up and they'll get you set up pretty cheap. I think they run right at $15 or so...

Thanks for the heads up on the information. I called TC and they said that they were sold out. Ed's is out of them also. I guess since TC is moving, I won't be able to purchase one for three months.
    The price for a new one is 13$
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 07-20-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master

It is sometimes possible to find parts on e-Bay. Probably not first choice, but worth doing a search. Hope you find one.

Boolit Master

There are 2 different 44 mag barrels with chokes.
    I have both. The early one were octagon and were made to shoot regular 44 shot loads.and the Hot Shot barrel.
    The one you have pictured is the Hot Shot barrel.
    BTW, you will need a special Hot Shot seating die to load the capsules.....dale

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    There are 2 different 44 mag barrels with chokes.
    I have both. The early one were octagon and were made to shoot regular 44 shot loads.and the Hot Shot barrel.
    The one you have pictured is the Hot Shot barrel.
    BTW, you will need a special Hot Shot seating die to load the capsules.....dale
    I have the hot shot seating die. And 9 boxs of the hot shots capsules.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

Well....I was looking in the spotting scope case today and behold there was the 44 mag. choke. Can't recall leaving it there, even found an extra key for it.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 08-24-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    -- Ernest Hemingway