Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Best wad for fiocchi hulls?

Best wad for fiocchi hulls?

I loaded some some lee slugs in clear fiocchi hulls using waa wads and they seemed to work just fine.But the other day I put a few in my coat pocket and a couple in my shotgun and went for a hike across the canyon.when I got back I pulled the shells out of my pocket and noticed a lot of powder had migrated past the cup on the bottom of the wad and had ended up in the leg section.This cant be good for consistency.I figure it is because the waa wads are made for a tapered hull and the fiocchi is a straight wall making for a loose fit over the powder.Has anybody else noticed this?I am looking at using some federal wads next...Robin
    Last edited by Box13; 07-17-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem with Chedite. WAA wads too small. Tried Federal 12S4 still working on how they shoot.

Banned
    Hello Box13, Its a no win situation, too many variables in a shotgun and components.

I wish I could have helped you. The only time I see its ok if you were to use just the shot cup
    from the wads and use OP wads like this and many other types.
    Or use a thin over shot card on top of the powder followed by your wad!

Last few years I have only used Fiocchi clear hulls.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 07-18-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Fiocchi hulls are straight walled hulls, like the Federal High power, and need wads made for a straight walled hull. Win AA wads are made for the AA or HS hull, a taper inner based case.. I used the lavender Fiocchi hulls that are somewhat see through..

I beleive that the wads that you are looking for are if I get the spelling right ,Guilandi . They fit these hulls and are in fact what Fiochi uses at the factory level!

Boolit Buddy
    Call Ballistic Products 888-273-5623. I have same setup, they say to use Federal 12S4. They say it is a straight wall case and same as Fiocchi & Federal. I am still in testing to try to get mine to shoot accurate, so playing with loading yet. I was using roll crimp, cards to bring height up, etc., Maybe Fiocchi works.

Thanks guys,good info here.I think Ill try some federal wads because I have some but Ill be on the lookout for some gualandi wads also.Now Im wondering if other hull/wad combos leak powder and how much!..Robin

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

wads

I have used the Fiocchi Black Paper hulls for CAS shooting and the best wad that I have used is the ones from Guilandi that are made in Italy. I purchased them from Precision Reloading. The Fiocchi hull is great to load because of it's very generous hull capacity.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I wonder if dipping the wad's gas seal portion in melted beeswax, (like on a 15*-20* degree angle), before inserting the wad into the hull would help with that problem. It might also help with the gas seal during the burn. In clear hulls they might not be as pretty as some of VdoMemories reloads, but might help. My next slug loading session I'm going to try it. Because, I've had the same issues or was thinking to try the powder cup.

Well just for fun I put a few of the first batch of fiocchi hulls loaded with waa wads and lee 1oz slugs into the center console of my truck.After 3 weeks of rolling around and vibrating they looked a lot worse then any in those pics.I unloaded a few and weighed the powder that was left under the wad and found and average of only 9.5 gr.Im going to go out on a limb and say that load is only good if the shells are left standing on thier head while being stored,otherwise They have to be ****,if not downright dangerious.I dont know what the powder in the leg section will do when it ignites.Might just blow the wad apart and or leave a section of wad in the bore.This is going to make me rethink other mismatched hull/wad combos I have loaded that seem to work fine when freshly loaded but loose something after some time being hauled all over the country while hunting...Robin

Banned
    Hello Robin, we can all learn from your experiance. What I have done from time to time is to use a thin over shot card on powder and then the wad as usual to stop powder migrating issue.
    One of the best over powder wad I found is Powder cup, the very best in gas sealing capabilities, but you do need a .125 nitro card of 20 gauge to fill the upper cup and give it a solid sopport like this!

If you fail to put the nitro card it could give you a pressure hike by over riding your wad or sabot above it, it has happened to me with my RSS-12!
    Let me also point it out you need to flare the mouth of the hull with a single twist from a regular plier, as the Powder Cup is a snug fit in the Fiocchi hull!

Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 10-17-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Adding picture to help tell the story

Do you think a single wrap of teflon tape around the powder cup on a claybuster waa12/f114 would stop the powder migration?
    Bring the smoke!

The best wads we have found for Fiocchi/Cheddite/Rio has been the wads fron Federal....James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Boolit Buddy
    ummm i don't want to sound like a nut ...but why not use Win AA wads in....wait for it ....Win AA hulls?

ummm i don't want to sound like a nut ...but why not use Win AA wads in....wait for it ....Win AA hulls?

No not sounding like a nut, there's this other three letter word I was thinking of.....
    Bring the smoke!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdr8088 View Post

No not sounding like a nut, there's this other three letter word I was thinking of.....
    wow at a big #7 post and your true colours are shining through!
    I was joking!!! .....read any of my posts and you will see I contribute in 99% ...please don't be a key board hero!

Box 13, I am sorry that i did not add any insight ...but I have nothing to add to Ajay's wonderfull sumations!

Thanks again Ajay, your insight has earned me two more one shot kill deer this year!
    Jonathan

Boolit Buddy
    I have used the Federal,Claybuster [clone Federal wads],and the Guilandi wads.
    they will all work.
    All are designed for straight walled cases.
    Precision reloading and Ballistic products are both good sources for the wads.

Banned
    Greetings, since there are no set rules for any dimentions for hull ID or wad OD and every manufacturer has a mind of his own after visiting the nearest bar, thus far too many variables
    in shotgun. Some barrels are under bored while some overbored, all we can do is try our best and work around it. At times I use a thin over shot card on powder to stop powder migration but you can also use a 1 inch diameter regular paper on powder it should help!

with the powder migration there is no consistancy and all our efforts are going down the drain.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

SPAMMER
    This is probably the best one to come along over the years, It is strong, light and handy....does all the necessary operations. I've had two of them for a long time. The only minor pain for me has been that after around 10 decaps the shell holder has to be pulled to empty the spent primers, but it only takes a few seconds to do that. I'll probably get one of the newer ones soon just to have an extra around and make it a threesome. Lee did a good job with this tool. LLS