Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Adventures making Recluse lube

Boolit Master

Adventures making Recluse lube

I thought y'all might like to hear my adventure. I spent about a month getting stuff together to make some Recluse lube ie: 45/45/10. I bought a hotplate from Ace Hardware for 15 bucks. Sent away for some xlox. Found some JPW. I got out my old lee mold for 44 magnum that I bought in the late 70's. I casted up a pile of bullets. Then one afternoon when the sun was going down I figured I would cook up the JPW. I didn't have a pot I could use (big mistake) so I thought I would just cook it in the container it came in. I fired up the hot plate out on the grass. I sat and tended it for about fifteen minutes. I got it boiling a little and thought it would just cook off. I went over and sat down by the wife and about five minutes later a big flame started. I guess it must have boiled over and started on fire. It wasn't turned very high and I watched it for while before I sat down but it happened anyway. I had about a three foot high fire going on my new hot plate and I had two choices: throw water on it or get the extinguisher. I threw a bucket of water on it. It almost put it right out. But it tried to get going again so I watered it again. This time it went out. Hmmmm, all my JPW is all over the lawn. There is a layer of it still in the can. I poured out the water because the JPW was now a hard layer on top. Then I proceeded to melt the JPW down so I could measure how much was left. Then I added an equal part of xlox. Mixed it up and added 10 percent mineral spirits. The bullets are drying now. It looks like it will work pretty good. I ended up with about 9 ounces total of the Recluse lube. I think it cooked down enough but I won't know what it is supposed to be like until next time. Moral of the story: don't cook JPW in the container it came in. Next time I will get me a pot from the dollar store.

Banned

Ahhh...the "water method". Nice twist on a proven process!

The only mistake that I think you made is having the hot plate in the vicinity of the grass. I cook my JPW over concrete. If the can ignites, you can clamly and slowly put a stainless steel bowl or disk on top of the can, and the flames will go out immediately.

Banned

Having a way to "snuff" a fire is Job One when cooking lube. I always have a well-fitting lid handy and a welding glove I can slip on quickly. Had Beeswax poof on me once in the kitchen, fortunately the Mrs had left a large pot lid in the dish drainer, snuffed it right out and saved my hide, house, and marriage all at once! Couldn't say much for the hair on my forearm, though.

BTW, nine ounces is a lifetime supply of 45/45/10, so don't sweat losing most of the JPW.

Gear

Boolit Master

Wow!! This stuff goes a long ways. It looks about like chocolate pudding when cooled.

Boolit Master

You put out a Class "B" fire with water?! You knucklehead!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    You put out a Class "B" fire with water?! You knucklehead!
    On top of an electric hot plate no less.

Banned

I learn a lot on this site!
    I found it is not good to spit coffee into the keyboard when laughing.
    I have keys that don't work good any more!
    Time to wash the thing out again.
    Booze doesn't hurt much, it dries but sugar from coffee is nasty.

Boolit Master

I unplugged the hot plate first. I was also trying to save some JPW. It was out on the lawn so I wasn't too worried about it getting away from me. Soon as the water cooled it enough, it went out. It probably would have been smarter to have a big lid but like I said it was out on the lawn so I wasn't too worried.

In Remembrance

Quote:Booze doesn't hurt much, it dries but sugar from coffee is nasty.
    Coffee with sugar tastes nasty! Food crumbs block the keys, flip the keyboard over and bang it on the desk.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried these methods, but I put the idea out to the members:
    1) Get an old blender like for making daquiris and such. These will generate a very high shear force that can not only puree your soup but cook it too.
    Add the JPW, LLA, and mineral spirits and let her rip.
    2) Get a clean paint can. Add the JPW, LLA, and mineral spirits. Close and seal the can (tape around the lid/can) and take it to your neighborhood paint shaker. Let her rip for 15 minutes or however long you can get them to allow you to use/rent the mixer. You would be surprised how well the thing will mix anything. Just don't fill the can more than half full.