RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: What's the deal with Federal 45 acp

Boolit Buddy

What's the deal with Federal 45 acp

Noticed recently that a bunch of Federal brass I have has small primers in them. Why and when did this happen? One guy I know say's it's an indoor range thing. What the **** does that mean?
    Reckon they'll shoot just as good so I'll use them. Already have a bunch of small primers anyway.

Boolit Master
    As I understand it, the small primer 45 cases have no mercury in the primers. This must make them safe for whoever or whatever you shoot with them.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

In Remembrance
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    Yep that explains alot. Had a pm from another member advising he'd heard these cases used small rifle primers and not small pistol primers. But after reading this post I believe their all small pistol primers. Thanks

They all use small pistol primers. The only pistol caliber that I'm aware of that is loaded at the factory with small rifle primers is the 9x23 Winchester. All other pistol calibers that use small primers are loaded at the factory with small pistol primers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I keep a box of 1000 of the small primer .45 brass for emergency use. If I run short of large pistol primers or perhaps find another great deal on small primers I can use this brass.

During the last primer scare my pal was nervous that he was low on LP primers but did have many sr IN STOCK. i ADVISED THAT HE COULD USE MY sp BRASS IF NECESSARY. He was calmed and all ended up well.

J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timkelley View Post
    As I understand it, the small primer 45 cases have no mercury in the primers. This must make them safe for whoever or whatever you shoot with them.
    No lead; primers haven't contained mercury for going on 100 years. Lead contamination in indoor ranges is what's driving this. Look for the entire industry to go this way eventually.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

bhn22
    It just occured to me. The small primer brass could be useful for the gonzo 45 ACP loaders who use AA #9 & H110. I need to look into this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    No lead; primers haven't contained mercury for going on 100 years. Lead contamination in indoor ranges is what's driving this. Look for the entire industry to go this way eventually.
    You are correct, it is lead they removed, sorry.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master

I was at a gun show, no one wanted the sp NT brass on the table, I got a big bag for the offered 10 bucks, must have been more than a 1000.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Man
    Hello the camp! This, of course, is what will let me sell my accumulation and buy a better grade of who-shot-john. I recently refurbished my SDB and set it up for small primers--mainly for .40s&w which I love and .38, which I can't seem to get away from.
    In the process, I sold my .45 Colt and .45acp conv kits for same. If they go to sm primers for everything, I'll prolly quit------after I run out of 28# of powder and 30k primers. If they want green, sell it at the indoor range. I can see Mexico from my range; don't know schmidt about indoor. My .02 mm
    Malpais Mike