Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: It'll be OK when it quits hurting!!!

Boolit Man

It'll be OK when it quits hurting!!!

Hello the camp! The main thing about shooting yerself in the foot is how good it feels when you quit. I've been having fits finding load data for Ranier 165 gr rnfp. I find data for 150 and 175; Ranier sez 'use lead bullet data'! Yup, big help.

Sooooooooo, here 'tis: for HP38, 150 gr goes 5.5 to 6.5 gr; 175 gr goes 4.3 to 5.8 gr. Interpolating, I project 165 gr as 4.8 tp 6.1 gr. Is this correct? Is it truly linear?

For dumb-Webb story #7493 (being Mike Webb's forte), I just discovered my Lyman CBHB dates from '89. I have ordered 4th ed--yeah day late and dollar short--so I'll prolly have an answer in a week or so. Until then, your input is appreciated. thxnregards mm
    Malpais Mike

Mike, that post really didn't make much sense. You didn't even tell us which caliber you are talking about. Nobody can give an intelligent reply unless the original post is comprehensible. I suppose we could guess at what you are talking about, but why bother?

I am not trying to give you grief, just honest feedback.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    Charger, that's one of the reasons I have so many dumb-Webb stories. I'm looking for .40s&w data. Because it all runs together, I'm not sure the .40 was around when the 3rd Ed. was published in '89. Thanks for the catch. mm
    Malpais Mike

Boolit Master
    Mike,

It's not truely linear; however it can be a useful tool to determine starting points. IIRC, charge vs pressure is more exponential. All that to say, I still use it quite often.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

I don't handload for 40 S&W, so I can be specific for that caliber. However, I have been in the situation where there was no published data and had a bullet weight between two published weights. I would use the data for the heavier bullet and work up a little until I was where I wanted to be. Data for a heavier bullet won't get you into trouble with a lighter bullet. You extrapolation might be correct, but I would not start there.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    A fair amount of the early load data for the 40 S&W, is the same data originally used for the old 41 AE (Action Express)

You could always take a look online at the powder manufacturers website at least until your new Lyman book arrives.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Now Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester has all the data in the same place on the web.

They say HP38 is identical, or very similar to W231. Even being told this again and again, there are minor lot to lot variances. I would still start light and work up a load though.

+1 as to what Chargar said.
    When there is no published data and you have a bullet weight between two published weights, use the data for the heavier bullet, and work it up a bit until you get where you want to be.

There is no 165 grain .40 S&W cast boolit data in the Lyman 4th edition Cast Bullet Handbook. There is just 150 grain, and 175 grain data, so you would probably be best served working up carefully using the 175 grain data.

(Source: Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition)
    40 S&W - O.A.L. 1.100, using a Lyman#401638 cast lead boolit.
    Start 4.3 grains W231 Cast 175 grain boolit = 796fps at 16,000 C.U.P.
    Max. 5.8 grains W231 Cast 175 grain boolit = 970fps at 22,700 C.U.P.

40 S&W - O.A.L. 1.125, using a Lyman#4010434 cast lead boolit.
    Start 4.3 grains W231 Cast 175 grain boolit = 863fps at 15,400 C.U.P.
    Max. 5.8 grains W231 Cast 175 grain boolit = 977fps at 22,500 C.U.P.

Also, you might find this helpful.

The Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition shows a J-word load for a TMJ 165 grain .40 S&W loaded at a 1.120 OAL.
    (Source: Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition)
    Start 5.2 grains W231 using a 165 TMJ bullet = 937fps at 19,300 C.U.P.
    Max. 5.8 grains W231 using a 165 TMJ bullet =1050fps at 22,100 C.U.P.

I would also check the HP38 data on the Hodgdon web page and compare it with what you have on hand.

Typos, and other accidents can and do happen. Never blindly trust what you read, especially on the Internet. Double and triple check your data. It also helps to compare information from a few different sources.

Always start low, and work your load up slowly and carefully. Never start at the maximum grain charge, but above all please be safe.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Man
    Much obliged. I've checked online data, will be disappointed in 4th ed. Taking the point of starting with heavy bullet data, I'll probably start at 5 gr HP38 and go from there.
    These are plinking/famfire loads; I never use reloads for carry. I should have dropped breadcrumbs, cuz I saw Ranier as a tmj load in one of my books; just have to find it again. Much obliged for your assistance. See ya round the campfire. mm
    Malpais Mike