Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A bittersweet, painful ending to a chapter in my life.

With all the cynicism abounding here, and my heart goes out to you...

I am VERY blessed. I took on three stepsons years ago. We now also have two of our own. NO difference anywhere - They/WE are ALL family. I am VERY BLESSED!

My oldest stepson, 25, is getting married to a wonderful girl in Sept. He is estranged from his biological father. He told his mother, anyone can be a bio father, but Steve (me) is my Dad. That makes it ALL worthwhile for me.

His younger brothers (other 2 stepsons) basically feel the same. This means a lot to me. And, all 5 boys are thick as thieves.

Unfortunately, your generosity bit you. But it doesn't always turn out this way. You obviously have a lot invested in your adopted daughter (and I do NOT mean monetarily), and I hope you find out where she is and that she is doing ok. It is obviously weighing you. Just know that you did all you could do. Take care.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    A family who prays together, stays together (for the most part). Parents are obligated to teach their children who the Boss is and why they were created. The parents should also teach them that the parents are nothing but overseers until they are fully capable of doing the Lord's work intended for them. According to a poll on our board some time ago, something like 20 percent of us do not believe in the Lord. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I listen to a lot of Dave Ramsey while driving between customers during the week.

Guy makes a lot of sense about a lot of things. His handle on family and money is spot on!

1 never co sign never.

2 if a family member needs money give it do not loan it if and only if you can afford it yourself.

3 do not go into business with family, the fastest ship to sink is a partnership!

4 do not sell anything to family, particularly cars or trucks! Gift if you can afford it otherwise no deal.

These are pretty simple rules to live by and have worked well for me.

My oldest girl wanted a new car when she was able to get her license I refused to buy her a car and I refused to co sign for a car.

I did offer to help select a good used car and add to her down and secure insurance.

You have no idea what an Alpha Hotel I was for about a month! During this time I was dragged to every low life used car lot in the OC.

During these visits the girl child learned that car dealers, particularly used car dealer, have no ones interest in heart but thier own. Since thats how they make a living I fault them not but it was a good learning experience for her.

In the end we found a local guy that ran a small repair shop, you know smog and fix it, who dabbled in cars. She struck a deal for a 92 Concorde no interest 6 month payments 10% down.

We'd down some small business with him over the years, we lived ( and still do) within walking distance of his shop so he knew us by reputation ( this is something else I have taught the girls "rep is everything")

The kid had the car paid of in 4 months drove it for a year then traded up to a Sentra and drove that until last year when she traded up to a camry.

She has done all this on her own credit rating ( over 800 ) and never needed a cosigner.

Today I am the hero for pointing her straight.

I din't mean to wander off topic.

Recluse I hope things work out well for the adopted child but alway remember tough love is the best love.

Boolit Master
    A popular 1950s TV show stated it very well.

As Desi Arnaz said it:

"Nunca hagas negocios con amigos ni con parientes."

Translation:

Never do buisiness with friends or family.

A popular variation on the theme is "If you can't afford or are unwilling to give family money, don't loan it to them."

Seems it is much easier to say no and deal with the dissapointment once, than say yes, and relive the dissapointment every time you see said family member.

Boolit Master
    Lesson learned? HELP NOBODY, including family.
    I am going to respectfully disagree on several different levels, but I'll touch on only one:

Giving someone something and helping them can be two entirely different things. Sometimes, they are directly opposed to each other.

I do chapel services at a homeless shelter, and the staff daily fights the problem of well intentioned people trying buy solutions to problems that can only be addresses with changes in behaviors, habits, and attitudes.

"We want to donate a car to Cody so he can get back and forth to work, now that he found a job."

"Cody is using one of the shelter's bikes to get back and forth. He doesn't need a car. He needs to learn how to depend on himself and to stop waiting for something to be given to him."

"Well then, we'll drive Cody."

"Cody doesn't need a ride, he needs to learn how to get to work on time, all the time by himself. He is learning that and he is doing well. Thank you for caring, please say a prayer for Cody."

Dave Ramsey is spot on! He is a Christian man who consider it his ministry to help people find financial peace. Worry over money is one of the top if not the top drag on human happiness.

I spent 37 years as a Christian pastor and tried to help thousands of people as they tried to struggle through all of the problems of life. I have seen time and time again, families thrown into turmoil over doing business and making loans to other family members.

I value family over most other things in life and I know that it is a very bad idea to co-sign notes, may payments for them or do business with them in general. It is always a good idea to be generous and give them the shirt off your back if need be.

Sometimes doing business with family works, but all to often it does not. No sense is taking a change. Ramsey is saying what my Grandfather told me 60 years ago. It was good counsel when my Grandfather gave it to me and it still is good counsel coming from Dave Ramsey.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

sorry to heat that! and been there done that too! got the car back was trashed and I was stuck with the pile of junk!

The only time I ever relented on the No friends-No Family rule was with a bud after 20 years, descreetly "loaning" cash interest free for 60 days with several guns as collateral, at less than 50% of market.
    I relented and loaned a Glock back one weekend to shoot with his son, and it took me 6 months to get it back.... he let his son take it back to college!!
    I'm more than square now, and he won't ask again untill he can relaim them all.
    It's been 2 years at this point, and while I don't want his hardware, I won't return any of it without repayment in full... I'd lke to have it outta here...
    I'll give him 'till the first of 2012, and either get repayment, or will consider the hardware mine, get a bill of sale, and make it all available.
    Bottom line... To friends or family give if you will, but never, never, never tie yourself up in a loan situation.
    Ramseys's right on...life really IS that simple.

Boolit Master
    I've had no trouble doing business with family and friends. I'd happily take a check for the full amount from any of them. In-Laws or Out-Laws.
    I'd never loan anybody money or finanace anything with any expectation of getting it back. If I couldn't live without it, they'd have to go wanting. I got bills too.
    Fortunately, my In-laws and Out-laws have better manners than to ask. Same goes for buddies as well.
    Before anybody thinks I'm too hard-hearted, yeah, I've helped a few bud's out before, and got back every penny. You don't have to be rich to at least have a little pride. Now they've all got jobs and are old enough to know better.

Ditto on Ramsey. Listen to his show if it's in your area, read his books too. He's kinda like the bible, even if you don't agree with everything, he doesn't preach anything that will do you harm.

Boolit Master

I will make very small loans to my children, IF I have it to spare. If loans are not paid back then no further loans will be made until the the original loan is repaid. I will allow the children to work off loans with yard work.

I will not co-sign anything. I will have retirement money once time has come to retire.

Boolit Master
    Good intentions, charitable attitude, and being a generally helpful sort are all commendable traits, but when it comes to vehicles there's an overbearing consideration. I'm not a lawyer, but I'll bet in most states as long as you're the owner on a vehicle title, and it's registered to you, you are liable for damages if the new "owner" causes such. Verbal agreements, etc. are worthless. I would never turn over a vehicle to another person, related or not, until a new title (showing me as the leinholder if that's the case) and registration had been applied for and their tag put on the vehicle. I've sold a couple of vehicles to unrelated individuals in the past, and I always had them meet me at the courthouse where the title paperwork (including odometer statements, etc.) could be handled on the spot, and they can transfer their tag or get a new one. Also adds an air of officialdom to the transaction. If someone refused to meet me under those circumsgtances, no sale.

Moderator Emeritus

Recluse, My son did a lot of hurtful things for a few years, left home @ 16, substance abuse, etc. We kept a relationship and got him into a National Guard Youth Challenge program. He got his GED and I gave him a truck and a couple of guns as a start in life. He was working as a millwright apprentice when he totaled the truck after 6 weeks, hit a deer, didn't know how fast but the kids behind him @ 120 mph couldn't catch him. I co-signed on another and made most of the payments for 8 months before I repo'd it. He has been in and out of the Air Force, sat and bummed for a year or more and watched a close friend do two terms of hard time.
    We still love him and kept lines open though not money. Ten years later we have a good relationship, he is working steady and paying his bills. I feel for you and know that your's has been worse but as an adoptive father I still can't give up and am glad that I didn't.\
    I hope that you get peace as time passes. Each child is different as is each set of parents and circumstances.
    The first thing I would do would be to haul the constant reminder of the car off. Good luck with things, you are successful in so much I know that you have the ability to work this out also. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post

I am truly sorry for your situation. It has got to hurt.
    Thanks, Chargar. Yeah, it hurts. Bad. And it's not going away. I've forgiven my cousin, but I have not forgot--nor will I. And as so long as he continues to feel like HE'S the one who got screwed on the deal because he's not getting any money out of a car that was never his (technically, the deal was between his daughter and me and my wife--the girl has been like a niece to us, but now THAT'S gone as well), I will never forget.

Rest of the immediate family is pretty upset about his attitude as well, but we all knew his dad (great uncle) and we know where he gets it from.

I should've known better. I should've known!

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    A family who prays together, stays together (for the most part). Parents are obligated to teach their children who the Boss is and why they were created. The parents should also teach them that the parents are nothing but overseers until they are fully capable of doing the Lord's work intended for them. According to a poll on our board some time ago, something like 20 percent of us do not believe in the Lord. ... felix
    Felix, I could not agree with you more, but remember: we got this girl when she had just turned sixteen, and through rather awkward circumstances, namely being that she still had close ties with her biological white trash mother.

We got the young lady in church several times--when she was hitting rock bottom or "at her breaking point" as she always called it--but I don't know what kind of an impression it ever made.

I continue to pray for her safety and well-being on a daily basis and I pray that as she grows older, she not hate me for simply caring about her, loving her, providing for her and trying to strengthen her "life compass" to a positive direction.

But my gut tells me she isn't going to make it and that she'll end up being the subject of some country & western song dealing with alcoholism, abused wives, drunken husbands and being flat broke and running from bill collectors.

Did what we could, especially me as she was a "daddy's girl" since she never knew her own dad--which her mom lied about to her and she STILL doesn't know the truth about that matter. Her mom's lied to her her entire life and she still doesn't know it.

I know it because I hired a private investigator after we all parted ways. Too many things didn't add up and I knew I'd never be able to sleep until I got some answers. Answers were not good, which is why I worry about the young lady still, even though she's now 20 and on her own.

We prayed, Felix. We prayed hard and we continue to. But sometimes you have to remember the words "Let THY will be done" rather than "Let MY will be done."

It's why we call it Faith, and times like this it's all that pulls you through on some days.

I appreciate the good thoughts and for those of you who've been down the "family and finances" path, I feel for you.

"Well, if I missed a payment and you had to pay, I'd pay you back eventually"

Now that's funny right there!!! LMAO!!!
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Buddy
    It's only money the their is printing it as fast as they can and in 12 to 16 month it's not going to be worth much anyway

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    JD,
    My wife and I legally fostered 38 children over a period of 10-1/2 years and legally adopted three of them.

In each and every case, if they wanted something - I gave it if I could afford it in exchange for a promise to work it off or pay for it. ONE time only.

Default ONE time and "I don't take checks on a closed account".

Several turned out terrific and a few are not worth the Oxygen they breathe. Some were absolutely incorrigible. We cared for all of them, we loved many of them, but looking back I can only say that we "saved" some of them and that was the greatest gift from God we have ever received.

I feel your pain more than you will ever believe.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master

================================================== ====

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Never EVER loan money to anyone unless you are willing to consider it a gift with NO strings attached.
    ================================================== ====

This is the best advice you will ever get with rregard to lending money.

There is an old saying:

If you loan your money to a friend, you will lose both.

You can't really "lose" a relative but the advice still applies.

Boolit Master
    My wife was appalled at me for not co-signing for my sisters car. 6 months later it was repossessed. The wife was surprised. I expected it.
    Kevin

Boolit Master
    My exdaughter has still not been forgiven for all the **** she caused growing up and continuing her stupid behavior. She is now 30ish and the idiocy continues................ I married the best women in the world, who used to try to bring us together, wife now understands the rift. Some people just dont care I guess, really got dinged by a "friend", should have known better. He is a bad man, be very careful of those who wear their "religion" on thier sleeves, as the saying goes.
    Sorry all this **** happens to us, we will all survive and can look anybody in the eye, unlike the bad ones. Stay strong.

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago, when I was an LEO, an officer whom I casually knew approached me in the locker room and related to me that he was in a financial jam. Apparently, the tax refund which he had expected had not yet come through. It was obvious that it was distressful for him to ask me for a loan, with a promise to repay me as soon as his refund arrived.

We worked different shifts, so I never saw much of him. Within a month, he came to my home with an envelope with the cash amount of the initial loan plus some extra for interest. He expressed his gratitude and told me that not even his relatives would ever help him.

Though professionally we went our separate ways, our families have maintained a close friendship for nearly thirty years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast