Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm powders ?

Boolit Master

9mm powders ?

Some of you may have tracked my trail of tears trying to sort out 9mm loads and bullet drama in my Flat Tire thread.

One of the solutions was a slower burning powder and Blue Dot was recommended.

Does Blue Dot meter well in powder measures ? I ask this because this IMR 800 X is a large flake powder and is a PITA to measure loads with.

I don't want to experience large flake powders if I can avoid it.

Pls comment on Blue Dot.

Thank you

Boolit Master
    BlueDot meters well in my Dillon SDB for 9mm nd 38 Super.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    Thank you very much for that information. It takes a lot of mystery
    out of buying powder !

Boolit Master

The two best powders I found for the 9MM with accuracy at jacketed velocities were #1 Hodgdon Longshot and close behind Blue Dot. Both would safely give me 1200 fps+ out of a Browning HP and 25 yd groups in the 2" range with the Lee 120 TC. Actually the BD load(7.5 BD) gave me 1321 fps. Both powders do well with all bullet weights in the 9.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    In my 6 inch Custom Barreled PT 99 THe Lee 125 RNL conventional lube groove boolit Give me a consistant 1450 FPS as a 10 round average using Bluedot.

I use Carnuba Red, size .357, use trimmed to .750 WW case's only for this load. Std Federal small pistol primers and every primer pocket reemed to perfection and flash holes deburred.

Case prep is a lot of work but the end result is worth it!

3.4gn of AP70N ( Universal) has been working very well with my CZ 75 with a 120-125gn boolit, sized to .357" and lube is BAC.

Meters very nicely and burns quite cleanly.

Just my .2 c

Good luck mate,

Mike

Boolit Master

I shot 7 gr of AA #7 with a 125 gr boolit in my match nine at steel plates and it worked great! Fine grain powder and meters well.

Banned

Blue Dot meters about like Alka-Seltzer tablets through some measures, but a tap on the reservoir each stroke seems to help. I've never used Longshot in the 9, but used LOTS of it in the .40, it's great stuff for high-end loads, meters extrememly well as it is a very slippery, fine, flake powder. Like Blue Dot, Longshot needs lots of pressure to burn cleanly, so don't use it for plinker loads because it will coat everything with greasy soot.

Gear

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Some of you may have tracked my trail of tears trying to sort out 9mm loads and bullet drama in my Flat Tire thread.

One of the solutions was a slower burning powder and Blue Dot was recommended.

Does Blue Dot meter well in powder measures ? I ask this because this IMR 800 X is a large flake powder and is a PITA to measure loads with.

I don't want to experience large flake powders if I can avoid it.

Pls comment on Blue Dot.

Thank you
    For what I call OTP (Other Than Plinking) 9mm ammo, the two best powders, without fail, that I've found has been AA#5 for jacketed (I get better than factory accuracy and consistency) and Blue Dot for lead.

I've run the Blue Dot through the RCBS powder hopper, the Lee disk system and my beloved little Lee Perfect Powder Measure and the Blue Dot has done just fine through all three.

With jacketed, I've had extremely good success reloading, but lead is causing me some frustration, so take MY findings with a grain of gone-bad powder.

Boolit Master
    Oh boy, I just ran the minefields of leading and found a slower burning powder is what was needed to eliminate leading.

Now it seems from all accounts, the Blue Dot recommended powder is a PITA to meter for cast bullet loads.

If not Blue Dot, then what slow burning powder is good for cast loads and meters? or is this one of those times where you just bite the bullet and suffer metering issues in order to gain the advantage of slower powders to prevent leading.

This 9mm cast bullet chapter has certainly been high adventure !!!

Boolit Master

BD seems to meter just fine through my RCBS powder measure. I drop 10 charges and shoot for a 69 gr total. Then I randomly check weigh 2 or 3 loads out of every 50. (I visually check ALL cases!). Have never seen a variation greater than .1gr, which keeps everything in safe range for the 125-135 gr cast I use.

Don't use a progressive or have any other powder measure so no comments there. What I do works for me, YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot works very well in my my measures and my pistols.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master
    reloading, particularly cast boolit reloading, is a continues growth hobby.

One of many reasons that it has held my interest for so many years!

Powder measures and metering issues have always been around and will continue to be a spotty problem for as long as either of us reloads.

I remember loading 30-06 for the first time, at 16, and the odd crunching noise the RCBS powder measure made as it "cut" the IMR 4198 my mentor used to charge his cases with. It was "startling" to say the least!

Yet it was amazing how stable the charges were! He also taught me that if I was to put up maximum effort loads with a powder that did not meter well then it was a good idea to charge under my load "goal" and then use a trickler to bring each case up to speed before seating a boolit.

In most case's this has been avoided by simply changing powder or finding a measure that worked with a specific powder.

I've never found Bluedot to give me metering issues in any of the measures I've owned and, since you are still experimenting with loads in the 9mm, I will suggest you get a pound and try it in your measure.

If it works your good if it doesn't buy another powder in the same burn range and try it.

This is what makes reloading fun!

Boolit Master

Although I'm not using right now, BD never gave me problems when I loaded it through my O-Haus Duo-Measure into my 357 cases.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Yesterday I loaded up a few hundred 147gr RNFP using Power Pistol.

Boolit Man
    6 gr. HS-6 125 gr lead droped from Lee die sized .357 lubed with BAC, meters great shoots great with no leading
    Terry

Banned

PP is good too, but a bit fast for high-end loads IMO. It also creates one heck of a muzzle flash.

I didn't say BD was impossible to use, but it doesn't meter as well as some other powders. Just something to be aware of.

Gear

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    6 gr. HS-6 125 gr lead droped from Lee die sized .357 lubed with BAC, meters great shoots great with no leading
    That's another good powder for medium to hard boolits. I use a lot of HS6 with cast.

Gear

Blue dot worked well for me at one point - now I'm loading heavy boolet and plated heavy bullets and use VV320 or VV340 - very clean burning and quieter with a can on the handgun.

Just to through my 2 cents in, I like AA #5 and Power Pistol for my cast boolit loads. I use Mihec's 125 gr HP and the Lee 105 SWC. Leading has never been an issue. Remember size of boolit to the barrel is the answer. By the way Hate the TC boolits for 9MM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast