Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just had a Lead Toxitity Blood Test....High

Boolit Buddy

Just had a Lead Toxitity Blood Test....High

What are my options.... Any one else had this.....I don't see any search method on this forum. I go for another test in two months. afish4570

Stop microwaving food on made in China plates and coffee cups.

What are your actual results? I'm going for a second test soon to see whether mine is coming down. I do believe I was inhaling oxide dust from my casting process.

Chinese home homoeopathic remedies are said to be high in lead too.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    I just got my annual check up at the VA, and my blood work came back with everything in the clear. Cholesterol levels are PERFECT, and everything else is WELL WITHIN normal. I'm only 29 years young, so all that might change in ten years! I hope you get it figured out. Casting lead needs good ventilation, so I hope you are able to figure out how to do it without creating a risk to your person.

-thomas

Boolit Buddy

Lead Level

Thought I was careful. Not breathing fumes from casting, try to stay upwind when casting outside of garage etc. I might have absorbed some by bore solvents contaminated with lead while scrubbing barrels (bores). I began using the dry method with a patch on brass jag with a piece of chore girl....This works quickly and with less contaminates slopping around.....Been wearing nitrile gloves too....afish4570

Besides the major cause of lead poisoning in the USA which is lead in glazed dishes used in microwaves. Made in China dishes are all marked micro oven safe. Well DUGH.

For us casters it is a big no no to use a vacuum to clean up around the area. Vacuuming blows the fine particle dust into the air where it never was before. Use wet towels and mops. What’s even more ominous is a vacuum used in the casting room then drug around the entire house with lead in it’s dust bag. Any particles fine enough to be absorbed pass right through a dust bag.

Afish4570 how many times per week do you heat up your coffee in a glazed mug using a microwave oven?

Boolit Mold

lowering heavy metals levels in the body.

Donate blood. As your body makes new blood your lead levels will drop.

Boolit Master
    I honestly believe my lead numbers are coming from my tumbler. I've since moved it outside and keep it in a large plastic storage box.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I honestly believe my lead numbers are coming from my tumbler. I've since moved it outside and keep it in a large plastic storage box.
    Tumbling bullets or cases. Dust from primers has lead in it I'm told.

Bullet collators can expose you to lead dust also.

Take high doses of vitamin C.

What was your number??

I've had mild-moderate lead poisoning for 3 years now. The highest I was ever tested was 60 µg/dL 6 months ago - which is fairly high! I never showed any symptoms. I started using Chlorella Pyreniodosa about a year ago and my lead level has now declined to about 30!

Some people say not to worry about it and just cast upwind. Well...... I did... and still got lead poisoning! Some people say that lead doesn't give hazardous vapors before its boiling point. Well... that's wrong - got lead poisoning anyway!

Now I cast with a mask containing carbon filters driven by batteries which blow fresh air in my face constantly. Some people will without a doubt laugh and say it's not necessary. I say it depends on the amount of boolits you cast. If you cast a few hundred a week, fine.... you can do without. But I cast 50.000+ each year so for my the mask is well worth it!
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Eat foods high in turmeric. It's a good chelating agent.
    Yellow mustard and curries are great sources.

Boolit Master
    I've needed to watch my lead levels since I was a teenager, initially due to lead body work in classic cars. Over time I've learned that the most significant shooting related exposure is the indoor range, followed by the dust from your tumbler. Lead Styphnate in the primers is the cause. The most common solution is to stop shooting indoors completely, and to wash your brass in soapy water prior to tumbling. With basic precautions, casting plays a pretty insignificant role.

Also, try using only clear glass with a paper towel over in the microwave. It's not just lead from Chicom pottery that's a risk there. There's also the flex agents from various plastic ware to be concerned about.
    BD
    Last edited by BD; 06-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by afish4570 View Post
    What are my options.... Any one else had this.....I don't see any search method on this forum. I go for another test in two months. afish4570
    What were the numbers?
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Take high doses of vitamin C.
    That is correct, one of the few things that help bond to the lead and will slowly reduce the levels. Find the timed release stuff or it'll just pee out quickly.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd seriously look for other lead sources. Levels as high as 60 come from serious intake.
    Are you sure you wash every time before touching your face, eating, or smoking?
    Add some Mineral Spirits to your tumbler to avoid the dust. Put used dryer sheets in the tumbler to absorb lots of the lead dust. Use fans in windows or doors, to create positive dust removal from your area. Don't allow dust to remain where you (and others) can contact, at a later time.
    All these are just good health habits that should already be in place.
    I'm 70 and have cast since the early "60s. My lead levels have never been over 4, which the Dr says is perfectly normal for the area. I do eat fruit and take a daily Vit C, or I could just be lucky, but luck isn't my strong suit.
    I'll bet you have another source besides casting.

Banned

It has to be another source. Maybe the water too.
    Be careful or you will need to change your name to "Metal Man" Lead in your butt, gold in your teeth and silver in your hair!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afish4570 View Post
    I don't see any search method on this forum.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Casting upwind is the wrong thing to do - that'll guarantee getting vapours and dust in your face! Use a side wind. The wind on your back causes a vortex to swirl up in front of you. Ever past wind with a strong wind to your back? Not that I'd know 'bout it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

Smile Don't know the exact # and will get a copy of the report

Quote Originally Posted by Tech2 View Post
    Eat foods high in turmeric. It's a good chelating agent.
    Yellow mustard and curries are great sources.
    Thanks for the suggestions..... I will not microwave my coffee to warm it up anymore. I have been taking 500 mg. of Vit. C daily for years as well as Calc. , Zinc & magnesium too. I was the fired cases in soap and water before tumbling and add 2" pieces of dryer sheets cut to the tumbling media. The cases are not decapped until after polishing. I thought I was following pretty good prevention by washing often and before eating etc.Will keep you posted. In two months the Dr. wants another blood test. I have a tick borne illness babesiosis microti which is like malaria (not as common as Lyme & Ehrlicliosis which is like syphylis ) so I don't think I can donate blood. I will ask my Dr. though. afish4570

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast