Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: hunting with 300 savage

Banned

hunting with 300 savage

I am going to start to work up a load for deer hunting using a Remington 722 in 300 Savage. I have a lee 170 gr flat point mold and would like to use 4895. What charge and speed should I shoot for?

Thanks Kurt

Boolit Grand Master

Start with 26 gr and use a 1/2 - 3/4 gr dacron filler. Work up in 1/2 gr increments until accuracy goes south to where it's no longer useable for hunting. I suggest testing at 100 yards to find a "load" and then test at the maximum range you will use it at (200 yards is generally my maximum for like cartridges).

Larry Gibson

Banned
    My intent is to keep shots at 150 or less. I prefer under 100 yards.

Kurt

Banned

Kurt, that's a sweet gun and a really neat, under-rated caliber. I think you're on the right track with the powder and boolit, just go by the book and do a careful workup to find the "sweet spot" with accuracy. Once you get it shooting straight, try the load out in as many weather conditions as you can to make sure you're not on the edge of a situation where a big change in temperature can throw things way off.

You're new here, so forgive me for asking, but do you need any tips on how to load cast boolits as opposed to jacketed, or do you have that part sorted out?

Gear

Banned
    I have been loading cast in pistols for a while. The rifle loads are new to me. I have been reading here for a while, so I have picked up a lot from just reading threads. The boolits are seated to just start into the rifling, I flare the case with a 35 rem expander just enough to seat with out shaving any lead off. The lube is 45/45/10, and it has worked very good in all of the pistol loads for me. Thanks for the help. Kurt

In Remebrance

IMO anything in the 1900fps to 2200 fps area is about perfect for cast and deer. You should be able to do that with the 300 pretty easy. Just remember to be really aware of boolit alignment with that short neck.

In Remembrance

Nice little rifle and a proven cartridge. I tend to use a Lyman #311466 with 3031 in my 722. Your load should do the trick, just work up to the point where accuracy goes South and you`ve got it.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

One of the great ctgs ever developed! Good for anything in the line of big game in the lower 48 within logical range limitations. In a 99 Sav. it is a classic! I agree with Larry G's recommendations.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master
    one of the better suited rifle/cast combo's.... imo
    I had and its a long emphasis on had a Savage model 99 in 300 Savage a truly wonderful gun and cartridge
    I had a group of 3 deer come by me long ago while I was deer hunting
    killed all three as fast as I could chamber another round
    still looking for another gun like it
    you are in with a good crowd
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    What charge and speed should I shoot for?
    One thing I will say about the 300 Savage cartridge. Regardless of boolit weights. It does require some extra tweaking to get the best it can offer. But if I were in your situation 244H&H. I would start my search at or near 2200fps. Than roll it up some to meet its sweet spot 1/2 gr. at a time. Once your close. Increase or reduce 1/4 gr. or less at a time till your at its pinnacle. Might take a couple trips to the range but you'll get there. Hope my info helps.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 31141 and 44 grains of old H 4831 makes a deer killing machine out of my 99. Velocity is 2083 fps and a filler is not required.