MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Interest in a 4-Cavity Brass Mihec Paper Patch Mold?

Boolit Master

Any Interest in a 4-Cavity Brass Mihec Paper Patch Mold?

The NRA developed two (2) paper patch molds and had Lyman make them; a 301618(160gr.) and a 301620(196-204gr). The NRA published the dimensions of these two(2) molds a number of times and they are available. Likewise, Lyman made them for awhile and then stopped. The NRA took the 160 gr. paper patch bullet to 3000+fps in a 300 Win.Mag with accuracy equal to or less than factory ammo.

Anyone interested in having Miha/Mihec Molds make some 4-cavity brass molds in these designs? Miha/Mihec Molds got back to me and stated his minimum purchase quantity of his brass molds is fifteen (15) for a new design.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master

Talking

It sounds like it would be a great mould. I would be interested in one with both bullets.

I would be in for one of them. Not sure which one yet tho.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I would be

Boolit Master
    I'm in.

Tony

Boolit Master
    I'm hopeful we can get the minimum fifteen (15) molds to order. For those who don't know, some of the NRA staff used these PP bullet designs in competitions up to a 1000 yds. So we know they work real well!

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Grand Master

I might be interested in this one.

What diameter is being proposed ~ 0.301" per the Lyman or could this be multi diameter?

My use would be for .303 British so I would want no less than 0.303" diameter.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Longbow,

They will be dimensioned as the NRA designed them. I've got to scan the two dimensioned drawings and post them here. Miha informed me that a solid 4-cavity mold would run about $95.

On the Smokeless Paper Patch Forum, I just posted my thoughts about a Cramer option. In ballistics, hollow pointing a match bullet gets the center of gravity (CG) rearward and further from the center of Pressure (CP). The distance between the CG & CP is the restoring moment arm and gives the hollow point stability and high accuracy. So I was thinking, what about a 1/16"ID hollow point with a set of different length 1/16"D pins. That way, if you were playing at 1000 yds, you could increase the depth of the hollow point to place the CG more rearward and increase the stability specifically for your load velocity. An option to think about that would make the mold very adaptable to specific loads at long range.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    I'll bite. I've wanted to try one of Mihec's moulds.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

Poop!

I have a mould that casts 0.301" now and while it works well in my .308 I have had poor results in my .303.

I am suspecting it is too far under bore size to ensure cutting of the paper. After knurling to 0.304" I got better results but still not great.

Oh well, I guess I will have to pass on this one.

A Mihec brass mould is an excellent choice! Anyone that hasn't used a Mihec mould is missing out. Mine cast beautifully and I am looking to get more.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 07-16-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling

Will his mold work with Lyman handles?
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using Lee 6 cavity handles on my Mihec moulds of 6 cavity and two 2 cavity.

I don't have Lyman handles to fit 4 cavity so can't say for sure but they should fit.

Boolit Master
    Pdawg,

I have Lee 6-cavity handles on my Mihec 4-cavity brass mold. I tried a set of Lyman 4-cavity handles on the Mihec mold and they were a sloppy fit, i.e. 0.030" to 0.050" slop. Though you could shim the Lyman handles , with washers, to fit the wider grooves in the Mihec mold, I think the Lee handles would be the better option.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    longbow, CJR:

Don't poop out just yet. Miha can make a .303" mould with a cherry designed for a .301" cavity by simply adjusting the orbit of the cherry. There have been and are several group buys here for M-P Moulds offered with a choice of as cast diameter: .432"/.434" or .452"/.454". I can't speak for Miha but he does this sort of thing all the time and it's free to ask.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Grand Master

If Miha can do it I may join the group buy.

If he uses a cherry and orbits it will leave a meplat but if the cherry is right on for 0.301" then the meplat for 0.303"+ will just be a few thou so won't bother me.

I don't think there is any other way of making these moulds. Mind you the Pointy Boolit buy is multi diameter and pointy for all so maybe two cherries were used ~ one for the nose and one for the lube grooves?

I can make my own push out moulds but Miha's moulds are so nice and I would like the shallow grooves as well. I cannot make grooves with a push out mould so have to "knurl" to get that.

Anyway, let's see what Miha says.

If I am in the group buy I wouldn't mind modeling and drafting the boolit.

I have one to finish up for Daytona69 but then I should have some time.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Longbow,

My game plan is to scan the NRA drawings and send them to Miha this weekend. If Miha needs more details, my son and I, both Engineers, can model the designs in SolidWorks and send the drawings to Miha. Let's see what I can get done this weekend on these two designs.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with 301618/301620. They may, or may not, already have a meplat. Perhaps someone can post a drawing or photo.

I'm also interested to know what alloy most of us would use with this mould. I'm thinking 25:1 lead/tin.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Grand Master

tonyjones:

There is a graphic of the 200 gr. 301620 here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=122071

They are pointed boolits but a small meplat wouldn't be a bad thing. In fact I thought Miha had to leave a small meplat the way he is making cavities. I may be wong there but I thought I had seen a post where he said he couldn't make pointed cavities.

In any case, CJR will be sorting that out so we will know what is and isn't possible shortly.

CJR:

I use Alibre for the same purpose. I have used Alibre 2D to trace a bitmap photo of an existing boolit then used that in 3D to generate a model. If you don't have a dimensional drawing it works pretty slick.

Anyway, if you have SolidWorks, you are good to go. Just thought I would offer in case the service was needed.

I will be interested in what Miha has to say.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I would also consider a mold with the .303 diameter.
    Last edited by daengmei; 07-17-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Moderator Emeritus
    Could be interested in this one, especially if there was a slightly fatter option say .306 -7" for the .303" barrels as well.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast