Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: some of my 30-06,

Banned

some of my 30-06,

Well these are some of the 30-06 rounds i made yesterday, they are straight water dropped wheel weights i made about 4 months ago, so they should be plenty hard, they have alumn. gas checks over 16 grn of 2400. i hope they shoot good
    Last edited by Link23; 11-28-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Well they look good. Well done so far. If the boolit fits the bore then they should do fine.

Pics are sometimes deceiving, but is looks like you have a pretty stout crimp on those bullets. A crimp is not needed on 30-06 rounds, and might cause you some problems.

Water dropped WW bullets are way harder than needed with 16/2400. You would be better served with air cooled WW.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I suppose you posted the pic and post here for comments. If you are not happy with the results, the you have a couple of issues to look at.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    yeah these are my first ever rifle rounds ive made up, i put crimp on to take the flare off the mouth that is about it...(the brass has a perm crimp look because it has only had J@#$%# Boolits though them) my 06's bore is 3095 (its a columbian Mauser) and these are 311
    they should work fine ill take a picture of the target when i go shooting this friday to celebrate the end of finals week!!!!

i loaded up 5 Dummy rounds of these and they wont feed through my box mag on my 06 any idea why? they kinda shoot up and bind so i have to load them single shot?

Link23

Banned

"permanent crimp look"??? Are the mouths tapered? Aren't you using a flaring die?

+1 on what Chargar said.

I'm not familiar with Columbian Mausers, was the follower and box designed for a different caliber?

Gear

Banned
    The columbian Mausers were built for 8mm, but then rebarreled for 06, mine was done in 52 (what it says on the barrel) so they cut a little notch for the tips of the 06 round to fit in the mag well, ill take a picture here in a bit and show yall

Banned

I'm wondering if the follower is hitting the shoulder in the wrong place, pushing the cartridge up at the wrong angle when closing the bolt, causing it to bind.

Gear

Banned
    here are some pictures i just took.. see the cut out little thing at the barrel end of the receiver? and that is when it was rebarreled.....

OOPS how did that Dragonav get in there
    Last edited by Link23; 11-28-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I always crimp my rifle loads
    don't hurt anything
    I even have crimped some of my Hornady
    bullets in the appropriate crimp groove(cannalure)
    but try for yourself ....
    may be more consistent as far as neck tension
    may even aid in accuracy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    Gear,
    Is there anything i can do to stop this? maybe seat the boolit out a bit more or something?

Boolit Grand Master
    What boolit is it??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    the lee 309 185

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Link23 View Post
    Gear,
    Is there anything i can do to stop this? maybe seat the boolit out a bit more or something?
    Not sure. I'd have to play with it so see exactly what's going on. Maybe have a local gunsmith give it a quick check?

Gear

In Remembrance
    You might consider the Lee 160 gr boolit that has more a spire tip. it's also shorter, so your OAL will be less, and that may solve your magazine/feeding problems.

You'll be giving up 25 grains of weight in the event you're looking to hunt, but I hunted for years with a 160 grain jacketed projectile in 30-06 and the deer never seemed to complain. . .

Banned
    I took them shooting yesterday and they shot amazlingly! I was hitting point of aim at about 300 yards away the funny thing is, that if you put 2 boolits in the magizine well they would cycle fine and smooth but anymore than 3 and it binds up. They have some umph to them they went through a empty propane tank at about 50 yards!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Link23 View Post
    I took them shooting yesterday and they shot amazlingly! I was hitting point of aim at about 300 yards away the funny thing is, that if you put 2 boolits in the magizine well they would cycle fine and smooth but anymore than 3 and it binds up. They have some umph to them they went through a empty propane tank at about 50 yards!
    Link, you may just need a new magazine spring.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Link, you say two works- three no go. Feed ramps were just enough for Spitzer. A rounded nose boolit does not like a lot of these mauser ramps. More rounds means for spring force pressing upward probably not allowing nose to climb over feed ramp. Load a couple dummies and Black Sharpie up noses and see with stack if it hits sharp edge at bottom of feed ramp. Not a problem at all to tune up, most I do just to clean up. Diss weapon and come from bottom through mag well hole and polish with dremel or air tool and work on bottom edge and polish ramp face. YES - you can go to far, SLOW AND LOW man! Also mauser type extractors do not like single feed. You are forcing it to do something it was not designed to do. It is to ride up bolt face behind extractor lip. Keep doing so and run risk of breaking extractor. Gtek