Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Setting up for boolits in a new 9mm

Bill - I think you are right on not recommending LRN for 9. I had seating depth trouble with MBC in an XD. I personally like the TC but is SWC really 'better' for tight chambers & normal bbl? I don't think the Glocks have a tapered chamber but the XD line sure does (~ 0.010", base to mouth). I think I'm like KAS, going to let the case swage the base down leave the larger nose to fit the bore. Fortunately the Xtreme LRN I have give a nice 0.01 step on the front band, for chambering tests.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I recently tried a 356-120-TC for use is my 92f. Slugged the barrel came up .357 exactly. That 120 TC came up exactly .358 with Wheel weights and some added tin. (Makes em pretty).No sizing required. Water dropped for hardness, or air dropped both came up .358. Shot them at 4.0 gn Bullseye and was quite stout due to seating for lube groove at 1.090. Chrono at 1145 avg. I tried one 4.3 grn and the case shot off for the moon. Finished off 50 4.0 gn and ran a few jacketed to clean it up. When cleaning ground zero lead. Since then I backed it off to 3.8 gn and all is good and accurate.
    I knew things were gonna go my way when I returned a 50 dollar bill that was given to me instead of the 20 I was owed.

Boolit Grand Master

Good job on the B92F. Sounds like you took my shortcut to 9mms without much pain.
    A lot of folks insist on taking the "educational route". . . . . . .

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Pardon my ignorance. I've read about slugging a barrel many times in the past, but have never done it till now. But - I'm not sure which numbers are important.

I have a new Ruger SR9c. Only 27 rounds through it, so far. All jacketed.

I drove a lubed .358 SWC bullet from chamber to muzzle. The barrel has six lands and six grooves. If I'm mic'ing it correctly, the diameters are .3485" where the lands cut in and .3570" where the bullet conformed to the grooves. Is that a correct interpretation?

So, what size mould do I need to be using once I start casting for 9mm? Or rather, what should I be sizing my bullets to for this gun?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cpaspr View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. I've read about slugging a barrel many times in the past, but have never done it till now. But - I'm not sure which numbers are important.

I have a new Ruger SR9c. Only 27 rounds through it, so far. All jacketed.

I drove a lubed .358 SWC bullet from chamber to muzzle. The barrel has six lands and six grooves. If I'm mic'ing it correctly, the diameters are .3485" where the lands cut in and .3570" where the bullet conformed to the grooves. Is that a correct interpretation?

So, what size mould do I need to be using once I start casting for 9mm? Or rather, what should I be sizing my bullets to for this gun?
    Yes you have the idea and you will need a boolit that is .358 or slightly bigger.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Yes you have the idea and you will need a boolit that is .358 or slightly bigger.
    I think I may have a problem with being able to shoot lead bullets. I loaded a .358" unsized 9mm bullet into a case. It won't go all the way into the chamber. I'll double check that I have enough taper crimp on it, but my chamber may be under- to normal-sized while the barrel is a bit over sized.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cpaspr View Post
    I think I may have a problem with being able to shoot lead bullets. I loaded a .358" unsized 9mm bullet into a case. It won't go all the way into the chamber. I'll double check that I have enough taper crimp on it, but my chamber may be under- to normal-sized while the barrel is a bit over sized.
    Try one at 357 and see if that works. That would be the smallest you want to go.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    Oops. When loading the .358" bullet into the case I forgot to set the crimp. Once I put a proper taper crimp on it the dummy cartridge fit the chamber just fine.

Yay!

I'm going to load up a few and see how they shoot. May be a week or so, but I'll report back. The SR9c may not be relegated to jacketed only after all.

Boolit Bub
    .356 lee mould works great in my hi point carbine better than factory ammo. But will do this process for my pistols

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    5. Pull the boolit from the dummy round and make sure you have not sized it down
    during the seating process.
    i think is my issue

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mallen View Post
    i think is my issue
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	215517.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	117891

This might help.
    Lead bullets Matter

Boolit Buddy
    i pulled it out with pliers. not as scientific as a bullet puller

I bought a kinetic bullet puller years ago and must say it's a life saver in reloading. Allows you to "fix" rounds that didn't get powder, bullets set too deep, put expanding slugs on top of military issue [nobody else does that right??? ], etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Die bullet pullers look cheaper.

do they work better or easier?

Boolit Master

Frankfort Arsenal impact bullet puller is 14.99 at midway. RCBS Collet Bullet Puller is 18.79 on sale and you need a 12.00 collet of the correct size for each caliber.
    Lead bullets Matter

They make less mess but cost much more in the long run. Inertia style pullers also give you a chance to pound out some stress LOL! Like 62chevy, I also got mine at Midway years ago and it's still going strong. If you're careful in your reloading practices you don't have much need for one but it's a nice insurance policy in case you're not sure you powder in the case or you seat the bullet to deep.

Boolit Buddy
    sounds like a die puller is easier

Boolit Master

sounds like a die puller is easier
    It's a personal choice but the Kinetic puller does help release stress.
    Lead bullets Matter

Expansion Plug for 9mm

Here is a comparison of the Lee expansion plugs. The stock 9mm Lee plug is on the right. You can see that it is too short for the Lee TL356-124-2R and 356-120-TC boolits. The expansion plug is really not deep enough to allow a lead bullet to be seated without getting squeezed really hard by the brass. For jacketed and plated bullets, this is not a problem, the expander opens up the case mouth to start the bullet straight. The Lee 9mm plug is only 0.175" deep and 0.355" wide.
    The 38 S&W expander is 0.291" deep and tapers from 0.355" to 0.364 at the top.

If you load for 38/357 and you want to try expanding the 9mm case for cast bullets, the 38/357 expander has the same plug dimensions but as you can see, the plug body is too short to extend low enough to reach a 9mm case. You will need a dowel or extension tube to make up the difference.

The 38 S&W plugs are available from Titan Reloading (one of the sponsors of this site) and the part can be found here for $3.

Name:	PTX Plugs.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	136605

Here are some sample loaded dummy bullets at different seating depths used for feed tests.

Attachment 136606

You can see the expansion bulge from the bullets in the case. When the bullets were pulled, they still measured 0.356", the same size they were before seating.

The loaded bullets shoot good enough in my M&P Fullsize and Shield so long as I do my part. I'm still guilty of jerking the trigger every once in a while, but that's why I reload and cast, so I can practice to get better.

Name:	9_6g_RedDot_10yds.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	136608

Boolit Buddy
    good info, thanks. although what press is this for? the dillon square deal b uses a "pour through die". powder goes through the expansion die.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast