WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: rcbs powder thrower

Boolit Mold

rcbs powder thrower

my insert inside the powder tube that guides the powder into the shell casing gets stuck sometimes on my pro 7 press,this causes some of the grains of powder to fall out onto the shell plate. i ve polished the aluminum adapter with fine Emory cloth and fine steel wool. even cleaned the inside of the tube with a bore brush and solvent and then ran a clean cloth thru it. it work for a couple hundred rounds and then it happens again any tricks of the trade to prevent this .i can see no nicks or rough edges on the adapter the powder is imr 4198

I have two Uniflow measures set up on Ammomaster presses. I'm using the 7mm to 45 size insert in both and have never had any issues with them sticking. My powder tubes are both clear plastic. The inserts are metal. I would think if theres a problem it would be with the plastic powder tubes. Try honing that out with some fine emery paper around a wooden dowel. I think easy does it would be the key words here.

Sounds like the powder is the issue (being stick form). Stick powder has the tendency to "bridge" sometimes, especially going through the tapered funnel like the floating adapter.

I have really good luck with my three Pro7/ProJectors using ball powder like Ramshot TAC, Winchester 231, AA2230, HP38, and the like.

Sounds like you have taken care of any burrs that may have kept it hung up at times by the polish job you did.

After cleaning and a very thorough drying with clean tissues/cotton rags, I would give the inner drop tube and floating adapter a fine dusting of dry graphite.

I like to keep mine very dry. Once you get some powder going through it, the resdual powder residue will give it a coating simlar to the graphite and will provide lubricity.

Is the floating bushing right side up? (There is an up and down on these. Install with the fine outer ring to the top.)

Just be very careful not drop the brass floating adapters on a hard floor. They will ding easily onn the crucial delicate edge and will then hang up and stick inside the tube. Don't ask me how I know this!
    Last edited by cheese1566; 07-18-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    I most definetly agree with cheese1566. It is also possible that it may be due to a buildup of static electricity on the plastic parts. Simply apply a small amount of Joy dishwashing soap to the inside of the plastic tube with a Q-Tip and let it dry before using. This works like a miracle.
    If you have a powder measure that has powder granules clinging to the inside of the tube you can also do the same or possibly even better is to throughly rub the inside of the tube with sheets of the clothes drier sheets that your wife uses to both soften and keep the clothes from ckinging to each other. Neil