RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flex-hone for cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by glenkans View Post
    Can I use Kroil as a lube for cutting if I do it by hand. I have a drill press so should I put my T handle on chuck and turn by hand or what is the proper way?Thanks , Glen

Kroil would work, but cutting fluid would be cheaper. Heck I used 3 in 1 oil and it worked fine. Use the chuck from your drill press to hand turn the cutter(if you can remove it from the press) or a t-handle. Just be easy with the t-handle and dont put too much side to side pressure.

Here are some reads on how to do it

http://www.gunblast.com/Brownells_Reamer.htm

Page 4, Ruffbirds comments has good pics of the process

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...r=asc&start=45

Flexhones chamfer everything they touch. I used to use them for finishing two-stroke engine rebore jobs, for that very reason. But belling the mouths of your chambers is not what you want to do.
    Cognitive Dissident

has anyone ever tried to slot an aluminum or brass rod mid length, and expand it?

I read an article on a machinist site where the aluminum rod was turned to about .001 under the hole size, then slit a 1 inch slot from about 1/4 inch from one end towards the handle end.

then a the lap was embedded with grit, and run into the hole, and turned with a handdrill.
    then, a piece of paper was wedged into the slot, and run in again, aiming for the center of the slit area. that way, there would be as little rounding as can be.

Boolit Buddy
    Glen,

Parts are all laid out to take pictures of my honing setup, but I still need to do so and write it up. In the meantime, here is a link to the article that convinced me I could do this.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/59

You can do it too, as it sounds like you analyze and think things through. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

BeeMan

Boolit Mold

BeeMan great article

Beeman that's a great informative article showing that you can get some great results from a pretty affordable piece. Is that your article? Whether or not you did ,I feel I'm in the presence of some pretty good gray matter here. That's what's so great about the web. Anyway those blackhawks are hard to beat and they just keep following me home.Thinking about a mid-frame 45 convertible in stainless. What say you?I too would like a 4 5/8 barrel on mine and they're only offered in 5 1/2 at the moment. Don't know if I should get one of the mid length barrels or HOPE they'll be a catalog item with shorter barrel.Again, what say you?I know you don't know but you can probably guess better than I.. Best wishes ,Glen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by glenkans View Post
    After thinking about cylinder throats and whether or not to get a reamer , I think I' ll go ahead and spend the money and do it right . Got several other revolvers that probably could use some treatment. I know my sp101 is tight and I don't want to spend days grinding away. On the other hand 80.00 bucks would buy a lot of components.Learned long ago that there are things you can't fudge on so I'll call Brownells. This ruger Bhawk in 357 is one I've had since I was 17 and am now 58.Its pretty worn but I think it's the most beautiful revolver in the world.I wonder if there is something wrong with me for feeling this way. Any therapists in the house. Best wishes ,Glen
    Glen, the therapist in the house asks: "Where is the problem? I'd feel the same way, in fact, I do!" 'Course, then, I've known for years that I am weird!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Glen,

No that is not my article. I see and / or review enough process instructions at work, so the prospect of writing up a really good article of my own keeps getting deferred.

I used to read the forums there regularly a few years ago. This place has now become the standard for all things 'cast bullet.' However, there are still quite a few gems to be found elsewhere. That site has a number of good articles including this one and making custom m-dies stems.

If you can provide for your family, pay your bills, and a mid size Ruger SA in 45 Colt trips your trigger, then who am I am to say? It would probably not be prudent for me to handle the same, since I would like to try something smaller than the 7 1/2 inch full size Bisley.

Enjoy!

BeeMan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12