WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Tanner round ball moulds

Boolit Master

Jeff Tanner round ball moulds

Has anyone done any business with Jeff Tanner? He is an Englander who makes a real basic round ball mould. One cavity, no sprew cutter, aluminum blocks. Any diameter you ask for.

I think I need a 0.55" ball to use in my 58 cal (or 24 bore) smoothbore fusil.
    A .535 with a thick patch is too loose, use a .562 and .012" patch material and it almost takes a hammer to get one down, so .55 should be just about right.

Anyway, back to my question. Do you have any first hand knowledge of Jeff?

Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    One of the guys at work got a mold from him. It was a ball for a 4 bore blunderbus. I believe he said he sent his payment to an address in the states, to avoid money tranfer fees, and the mold was here with in a couple weeks.

In Remembrance
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I have bought several ball moulds from him,and they are really consistent,I mean even the 5 cavity .535" ball mould and the 6 cavity .395" ball mould.
    i highly recommend him!

I have one of his moulds and know others that have them.All the ones I have seen are brass. No sprue cutter on the single cavity ones I have seen. Nice thing is he will make you any size you want for the retail price of a Lee.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    I have bought several ball moulds from him,and they are really consistent,I mean even the 5 cavity .535" ball mould and the 6 cavity .395" ball mould.
    i highly recommend him!
    Do his multi-cavity molds have sprue cutters?
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Yes,his multicavity moulds DO have a sprue cutter.If you view his website the 5 cavity .535" ball mould he made for me is-or was pictured there.

Banned
    How do you get rid of the sprue? Side cutters would cut it off? Do you file or trim the sprue lump? These look like nice molds, I'd only need a single cavity.
    Thanks;
    joe brennan

I find there is only a 7 dollar difference between his single mould and a Lee 6 banger with the sprue cutter. I'll probably end up getting the lee mould .... Buy american thing you know ...
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Banned

jeff's brass ball moulds are Excellent, i've had Many in sizes from .310 to .595 and jeff's moulds are all i use for trad muzzleloaders.

nipping the sprue with cutters is no big deal, either, and the resulting balls will be quite accurate.

Thumbs up

What rfd said!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    Yes,his multicavity moulds DO have a sprue cutter.If you view his website the 5 cavity .535" ball mould he made for me is-or was pictured there.
    I don't see any multi cavity molds on the site now. Am I missing something?

Or just the obvious fact that this thread is 11 years old.....

Boolit Grand Master

I buy Jeff's molds when I need an odd size. I modified a side cutter to snip off the sprue.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have 2 of them ok brass. Had them for 5 years or so. They are now handing me a problem. Don't know why. They are sticking. I mean won't close w/o tapping on tgem and won't open w/o beating on the handles. I had no problem w them the time before last. I haven't droped them
    Cleand before I put them away. No lead pr anything stuck to them.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Banned

maybe they're not clean enuf? if you haven't already done so, try a brake cleaner scrub.

i always leave the mould full, allow to cool, wrap in press'n'seal kitchen food/container wrap. all moulds - brass, iron, aluminum - are then ready to go for the next casting session.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 59sharps View Post
    I have 2 of them ok brass. Had them for 5 years or so. They are now handing me a problem. Don't know why. They are sticking. I mean won't close w/o tapping on tgem and won't open w/o beating on the handles. I had no problem w them the time before last. I haven't droped them
    Cleand before I put them away. No lead pr anything stuck to them.
    I use some Bullplate Lube on the mold. Careful application with a Q tip. Keep it out of the cavity. I think synthetic chainsaw 2 cycle oil is the same thing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    maybe they're not clean enuf? if you haven't already done so, try a brake cleaner scrub.

i always leave the mould full, allow to cool, wrap in press'n'seal kitchen food/container wrap. all moulds - brass, iron, aluminum - are then ready to go for the next casting session.
    they should be. I did use brake cleaner on them before i put them away last year. they look clean no lead specks mating half looked and felt fine when i finished w them and put them together. I put the half's together and boxed them last fall. IDK just strange it was both moulds . No I did not mix half's
    thought of that. one is a 685 the other a 715. wrong halves will not mate at all i tryed
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Grand Master

Sure it isn't the mould handles that is the problem?
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remembrance
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I have 4 of his molds dating back over 15 years, no problems at all.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master
    Jeff Tanner's molds are top in my book. I called for some odd-ball balls and he was dead on with sizing. One of my favorites is a .702 ball that I use in a 12 ga. I managed to work up a real zinger for hunting and will never look back. The mold is different but very, very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast