Titan ReloadingADvertise hereInline FabricationLee Precision
Graf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Setting up for boolits in a new 9mm

Bill you maybe dealing with a very small base if info. If the majority of 9MM required a .357 or larger bullet accuracy with .355 jacketed would be atrocious. It isn`t. I would think .357 would be the largest anyone would have to go unless you are dealing with a WW11 or older gun from occupied Europe. I recently reduced my diameter to .356 in my guns and have found no difference in accuracy - CZ 75`s, M&P`s, STI and Tanfoglio.

Take Care

Bob
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]Je suis Charlie

Boolit Mold
    I had that problem with my Lee mold but never with my 124 RCBS.

Boolit Master
    So does anybody make a expander for the Dillon that will extend deeper into the case? The expander/powder funnel only extends a bit over 1/8" and when I seat my 120 gr cast bullets over the 1/2 the rounds get "lumpy" and won't go all the way into my chamber gauge.

Relevant to the topic, some repetition and some additional info (originally posted in the Cast Bullets Facebook group):

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    The main culprit with 9x19 mm is that the case swages the bullet.
    This has several causes and effects. 9mm has...
    1. Tight chambers.
    2. Large bores.
    3. Thick brass.
    4. Small bullet drops.
    5. Small expander dies.

The way to get 9mm to work is to use brass with thin walls. G.F.L (Fiocchi), Winchester and Geco are known for this. (CBC (Magtech) and S&B are known for thick walls) With thin brass, use an expander die that opens the case to .357. Usually this works with a Lyman M-die with a .38 S&W plug. The .357 Mag expanders usually don't reach down far enough and are too long to flare the case mouth, though they will expand just fine.

Take into account that many 9mm molds drop at .356. This will make the bullet useless for most 9mm work. You can powdercoat to gain 1-2 thousands.

Then we have the expanders. They are .353 in the base and .356 in the top. If you have a .357 bore that needs .358 bullets and put a .358 bullet in a case that has been expanded to .356, chances are likely that the brass will swage the bullet to .356, causing gas leaks.

Now say that you use a .357 expander. With most brass this will go fine when you put the empty case in a chamber gauge. However, when you seat a .358 bullet inside and crimp the case mouth, the brass will bulge right where the base of the bullet is. This will cause the cartridge to not chamber. Thus the need for thin brass.

If you like to use heavy bullets like 140-160gn for competition where there is power factor involved, you either need a very good brand of brass with thin walls that allows the longer bullet to be seated deep, or you need a chamber with a looooong throat that lets you have a long OAL.

Another thing to take into account is that 9mm is not a straight walled cartridge. It is tapered. The brass also gets thicker the lower to the base you get, so the inside is reverse tapered, thus getting narrower. This is why many, many, many 9mm bullet designs have a bevel base!
    Last edited by Whistler; 02-25-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    So does anybody make a expander for the Dillon that will extend deeper into the case? The expander/powder funnel only extends a bit over 1/8" and when I seat my 120 gr cast bullets over the 1/2 the rounds get "lumpy" and won't go all the way into my chamber gauge.
    Just one question while the cartridges won't chamber in your chamber gauge will they chamber in your gun? I have seen cases where cartridges would not chamber in a chamber gauge but worked fine in my guns.

Take care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 04-25-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]Je suis Charlie

Boolit Master

paul-h I know that post is pretty old, but for you and anyone else
    -adjust the Dillon powder measure body mount die downward to let the
    expander go deeper into the case. This is just a setup issue with your machine, that
    depth is fully adjustable. Should be expanding the case mouth about .005-.0010 flare,
    too, which is removed by the taper crimp at the last stage.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 04-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I go through a similar process, but was wondering if you think my chamber vs. loaded brass procedure is easier, at least for finding the largest usable loaded round diameter:

If you have a full pin gauge set; I insert increasing sizes of pin gauges into the chamber of the removed barrel until I find the narrowest diameter of the chamber, which is determined by the largest pin that will reach the chamber end. My P226 with a Storm Lake barrel for example will eat a .380- pin but not quite a .381- pin. My brass is .0092 thick at the mouth so:
    .380 -.0184 =.3616 is max bullet diameter with light TC. My bore measures .347 lands and .3550 at grooves, so I am good to go with a .356 to .3575 boolit. I use boolits sized to .357 which is nice because my S&W 66 can use that size too. No leading.

Jeff

Boolit Bub
    Nice post. I am a 9mm shooter and the post and follow ups are very useful.

Boolit Bub
    Perfect timing,thank you

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345