WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 cavity mold ?

Boolit Bub

6 cavity mold ?

Do you ladle pour 6 cav molds? Any tricks I should know?I currently ladle cast 2 cav .358-158gr-tl-lswc's.But found a deal on a 6 cav .358-148gr-wc mold.I do not have a bottom pour pot.Or should I skip on the mold and buy a bottom pour pot?Thanks
    better to have a gun and not need than need it and not have it

Boolit Master

Casey Stengle, ex-manager of the NY Yankees was testifying before a Senate committee headed by Estes Kefauver, ex-candidate for Pres. He was asked if he thought MLB was a business, or was it a sport? The Old Perfessor said "Well, Senator, some of my friends say Yes, and some of my friends say No, and I agree with my friends!"

That's about as good as you are going to get, going down the ladle/BP thread.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    Have to check it out

Boolit Bub
    Got a link?

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old Ideal mold 7 cavities .360/158Gr it wont fit under my bottom pour, so I do it with a ladle, no special technique, just keep casting until you find what your mold likes, I would advise you to get a Lyman dipper, that would work well for what you want to do IMO.............................steg

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 358 six banger, and I do ladle the melt in. Works for me!
    billy boy

Boolit Grand Master

I discovered Lee 6cavity molds last year. In a very short period of time, I was feeling like Scrooge McDuck with boolits. I ladle cast all my boolits. I highly recommend you get on of the ladles that has the funnel in the bottom. If you accidentally scoop up some crud in the melt, it keeps it on top.
    All my experiance is with Lee aluminum 6 cavity molds. The lee molds like to be run hot and fast (again Scrooge McDuck) I started out with a melt temp that works well with my cast iron molds (640 degrees) , but I was getting bad boolits. "cant remember what the problem was" I decided to pump up the heat and when I got to about 680 degrees, that mold started running like a cheetah. I got the 45 RN and the 357 SWC, now I have 4 coffee cans level full with boolits for my guns. Almost makes you wish you could rent the molds, cause two weekends worth of casting will render you with more boolits than you are likely to shoot in 5 years.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    Goodsteel, I remember the times I've said that'll be enough for quite a while, and before you know it your firing up the pot to make more, they tend to go fast, no pun intended, LOL....................steg

Boolit Master

I just recently bought a Lee 6 ,for me it is cumbersome to work with.I am not sure I like it or not.Pile's up the boolits though.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

I ladle cast everything, including six banger .45 420gr boolits. On the big ones I will pour the first three, refill my ladle, and pour the second three. I can usually get all six smaller ones with one filling of my Lyman ladle. If you have concerns get a bigger ladle. Rotometals on the top of the screen sells big ones.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The solution is simple, get both of them! If money is a problem, buy the mold now and then buy a Lee 10 pounder later. The Lee pot runs about $50 or $60 and in my opinion works better than the Lyman 20 pounders.

guy
    The beatings will continue until moral improves and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that "they" are not out to get you.

while i am really not a fan of ladel pouring, i have tried it with both double and 6 banger molds. it can definitly be done, but i am sure you will have to make some kind of adjustments (lead temp) in order to keep the boolits coming out correctly, unless you have a very large ladel. and can scoop enough lead at one shot to fill all 6 cavities at one shot. or maybe cast with the mold on top of a hot plate. that idea just came to me, so i have not played with it. i have a lee 20-4 bottom pour pot, which i like very much. i would reccomend it to anyone. to me, it is the best thing since sliced bread. right now the only thing i ladel pour is ingots when i am smelting. i found a very large ladel at a yard sale someplace that works very well for that.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master
    I use a LEE MAGNUM MELTER pot and an elderly ladle from HENSLEY & GIBBS to do my casting with pistol boolits. The BIG 50 SHARPS moulds require either a LYMAN or RCBS to get proper fill-out. I'd investigate the ROWELL ladles or something similar that is shown in the ROTOMETALS catalog.

IMHO, a serious caster needs a 20 pound...or larger!...melting pot to cast pistol boolits in quantity. The MAGNUM MELTER at under $60 at GRAFS is ideal for me.

Differences of opinion is what makes political elections and horse races.

I use a bottom pour pot now, but I had only a ladle for the first few years that I cast. I ladled every mold that I had & that included Lee 6-cav. molds. The larger ones required 2 or even 3 dips to get all 6 cavities filled, but it did work & I got good boolits. A bottom pour pot is nice to have, but you don't need it. Getting a bottom pour pot is sort of like moving up from a hammer to a nail gun. They both can give you good results. The more expensive one is faster & easier.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

I recommend getting a ladle or even making up one that will do all 6 cavities in one pour. Makes life easier. Also have everything ready and close at hand. Once you get going good you won't want to slow down or loose your momentum. You'll go through lead real quick once you get going. You need plenty of heat.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guy's.I got a couple more???The molds I'm gonna buy are not "TL" molds.Can I tumble lube these boolits?Or do I have to pan lube to fill out the bands?

Hi JCools,

Yes mate, you can indeed tumble lube non TL designs, I have done it successfully with 9mm, .38/ .357. Using just Lee Alox cut with 40% mineral spirits, I give them two 'coats' of lube.

Search for Recluse's TL recipe 45-45-10, members here have found it to be outstanding.

Another TL method is to dip lube your boolits to the grease groove and stand them up on the bases.

Pan lube is an option, however, for pistol sized boolits you would be better served with a Lee push thru sizer.

Of course I am going to tell you to go and get a Star lube sizer, once you get one you will be a very happy man !!

Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JCools View Post
    Thanks guy's.I got a couple more???The molds I'm gonna buy are not "TL" molds.Can I tumble lube these boolits?Or do I have to pan lube to fill out the bands?
    Well based upon my limited experience with a boolit of non TL design and TL'ing, I can say that it works just fine. I ran some Lee .452 300gr RF GC's through my 454 to 1500fps using a pre lube before sizing in a Lee sizing die, and setting the checks, then a follow up after. The only leading I got was a couple of streaks during the initial 5 rounds. After than nothing for the next 25 or so.

My initial lube was with straight LLA the second was using the 45/45/10 mix.

Hope this helps.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Quote Originally Posted by JCools View Post
    Like the others said, it's works. I have noticed that a bullet with a Keith style lube groove (big & deep) isn't as accurate when loaded with a full-house magnum load and tumble lubed. I'm talking loosing 1/4-3/8 inch at 25 yards. This was in a 357 magnum with a max load of H110 and a 180 grain bullet weight.

I suspect the big empty groove combined with the big charge suffers from the empty and unsupported groove.

This doesn't happen with lighter charges, and may not happen with lighter bullets even with a magnum charge. I didn't test that.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    I use a bottom pour pot now, but I had only a ladle for the first few years that I cast. I ladled every mold that I had & that included Lee 6-cav. molds. The larger ones required 2 or even 3 dips to get all 6 cavities filled, but it did work & I got good boolits. A bottom pour pot is nice to have, but you don't need it. Getting a bottom pour pot is sort of like moving up from a hammer to a nail gun. They both can give you good results. The more expensive one is faster & easier.
    JCools:
    this is true. I now run the six banger with two ladle scoops full. Seems to work better for me. The 6 bangers also seem to need more heat, ie, the melt needs to be hotter. I had always heard that the 6'ers were for the more advanced, experienced casters. This also seems to be true, they seem to be a bit more crankier than the deuces!
    good luck
    Billy boy