Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Rockchucker

Boolit Master

RCBS Rockchucker

Was a given an RCBS Rockchucker by my younger brother today. he got it from a job site he worked on. The guy he was doing the job for gave it to him. I'm gonna try the ATF/Acetone/Thinner mix to free it up. It looks to be in good shape aside from the rust.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    EMC45,
    You have a fun project, there, and when it's completed, you'll love the press.

My only Rock Chucker complaint is that it is not designed for left-hand use.

Kroil!

Then the derust electrolysis method.

Get it freed and I bet RCBS would send you a new ram and handle, pins too.

I would love to find one in that condition for a project!

Boolit Master

Nearly got it freed. Got the handle unscrewed, the link arms freed and swinging, both botttom pins driven out, rusted in shellholder (#3) out, Handle block (I think that's what it's called) off and cleaned up. The ram won't move!!! I will send it to RCBS when I get it freed though and see if they'll send a new one. Also will need a new threaded die bushing.
    Last edited by EMC45; 07-08-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Jesum' crow man what was the job, dredging the bottom of a lake? Post some pictures when you've brought that thing back from the dead.
    I say RCBS should use you and your press for advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Nearly got it freed. Got the handle unscrewed, the link arms freed and swinging, both botttom pins driven out, rusted in shellholder (#3) out, Handle block (I think that's what it's called) off and cleaned up. The ram won't move!!! I will send it to RCBS when I get it freed though and see if they'll send a new one. Also will need a new threaded die bushing.
    If they don"t. I'll give ya $25 bucks for it!

Boolit Master

I'll second cheese's advice on the electrolysis idea.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I hate to see quality tools treated like that.

Were they using it for a boat anchor?

I think I'd sand blast the entire unit. The guy that let it get in that shape ought to be horse whooped.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master

Once freed, Vinegar and Salt Water will de-rust the parts- just keep them fully submerged. It will leave a pitted finish behind, and need immediate rinse and some kind of rust proofing.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Just called RCBS and a new Ram/shellholder clip and die bushing are on there way. What a GREAT COMPANY!!!!!

I agree

Just called RCBS and a new Ram/shellholder clip and die bushing are on there way. What a GREAT COMPANY!!!!!
    Had my Rockchucker and lube-a-matic in storage. Went back and found that there had been a standing water leak for years. The bottom half of both were badly rusted.
    Contacted RCBS with a list of replacement parts. Greatest customer service I've seen in years!
    In the process of making them "brand new" again.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    --Thomas Jefferson

naval jelly. works like a charm.
    I'd love to see it restored keep us posted now
    The light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash

Boolit Master
    I once had an RCBS sizer die that got been dripped on in during several months of storage so it was rusted beyond saving when I finally got to it but the decapper stem was fine as was the seater. I called Customer Service and asked to buy just the size die body; NOPE! The very nice lady said she could sell me a full new set (at full 'suggested retail') but she couldn't sell me a die body nor replace it as a warrantee item. I thinked her for the kind purchase offer and said good-bye, then bought a new Lee delux die set with their excellant collet neck sizer locally at much less cost!

Only to say RCBS isn't quite as great all the time as they are some of the time. ??

Boolit Master

Parts came from RCBS, but ram still won't budge. May put a little heat to it today.

Boolit Buddy
    Parts came from RCBS, but ram still won't budge. May put a little heat to it today.
    Be real care full trying to remove that Ram. It looks pretty Frozen to me. You don't want to Break or crack the casting.
    I suggest you soak the unit in some Diesel for a few days if you haven't already. I have had pretty good luck with this.
    I once restored a press that came out of a house fire, it was rusted and frozen from sitting in the wet ashes for a couple weeks. At the time I worked in a Aluminum Die Casting Shop and we had a heated "Oakite" ( Sodium Hydroxide ) tank. I hung that press in the tank for a couple days and was able to put it in a Hyd. Press and very carefully push the ram DOWN and out with out ruining the bore. Don't forget to remove the spring clip that holds the shell holder !!
    If you have to push the ram out, I suggest that you carefully polish or clean the exposed Ram area before pushing it thru the bore. You don't want to end up with a scored or damaged bore if you can help it....
    Another Suggestion: Melt some parafin or wax around the ram and heat it until it drips out the other side.... Good Luck !! PJ
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Hey EMC,
    I got one in almost the exact same condition. Buff rust off the exposed ram and do the diesel or atf lube for a couple of days on the casting to ram area. Been using mine for over 5 years now with really good results.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jack View Post
    Another Suggestion: Melt some parafin or wax around the ram and heat it until it drips out the other side.... Good Luck !! PJ
    I've seen something similar with frozen headbolts. They were on a Ford Flathead. It really worked well.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    I would warm it up good, and soak it down in Kroil, let it hold the temp for a half hour or so, then let it cool down. Repeat several times and it should break free. The expansion and contraction will draw the oil into the pores and every crevice of the press.

We use Kroil on stuff that is WAY more corroded and has been locked for years and it works better than anything I have ever used. Just go look at anything close to or around a cooling tower, to see how bad corrosion can get on exposed metal. The can says will creep into 1 millionth of an inch and I have no doubts about it.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast