RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger No 1 in 303 British?

Keep us posted FF, we want to see a tight bore. small groups and a big grin.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    A bit of an update, I was speaking to my friend at the range on Sunday and he said that his 303 No1 (the one I mentioned earlier) delivers the first shot exactly where you aim it and the next one within an inch of that and the third shot starts to string (which he thinks may be bedding anyway). He doesn't cast, but found that the Hornady 174Gn RN the best performing bullet in his rifle. He is a deer stalker who hunts the timbered areas mostly and usually stalks within a hundred yards or less, so the rifle is plenty accurate for his needs and has accounted for a lot of game.

I have been slack and haven't got around to slugging mine or even reloading for it yet (silly old fart buying too many rifles at once, can't get to them all).

Watch this space, lol.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I slugged the bore today, maximum dimension of the slug was 0.313" I was not able to get other dimensions. It will be fine with cast, but may be iffy with jacketed. I can't imagine why Ruger turned out a hammer forged barrel over the desired 303/311 measurements.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    They made it the dimensions they did because it has to meet CIP/SAAMI spec...

Have a look for yourself... http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc...%20British.pdf

My bad, I thought that it was 0.303" / 0.311" so it should be ok.

Mine measures .303 by .313 as well. JW

I'd best be opening that Lee sizing die to 0.314".

Boolit Master
    I have a #1 in 303. So far I have not done much load developement with it. Just some fun plinking. Have been using a 235gr. cast plain base and so far it seems very good. Got the mould from a member. oversize 300 blackout mould. Need to put on a scope and see just how accurate it is.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

My mate is using a Lee Black Bart or whatever you call it mould. I must ask him what they drop at.

I have been liberating brass from factory loads (I had a big credit at a shop some years ago, my mate worked there and I walked in the day before they were going to close and my mate that worked there tipped me off. He said I'd get my money, but it would take months by the time the lawyers worked things out and he suggested that I take the credit in goods. I didn't fancy anything on the shelves and then the Remington Rep walked in. I ended up with a 7600 Police Patrol 308Win and 120 rounds each of Remington 308Win, 303Brit, 30-06, 300WM, 338WM). The 303Brits are just about gone and I loaded some 150Gn Privi Partisan bullets today. The cast boolits will be following shortly.

Well........, I was running the rifle range today and the Club Armourer (also a gun dealer catering to the members under our system) appeared on the scene. We were chatting and we were joined by th e other guy who has a No1 in 303. The Armourer mentioned that he had been trying to sell a 303Brit No1 which was part of the original order. The previous range captain, now deceased ordered and paid for it and died of a heart attack a week later. The rifle was forgotten until it turned up more tan a year later. I made an offer which was half of the new price (and only $100 below what he had been trying to sell it at for two years. So I am now the proud owner of two 303Brit No1s. One scoped and one with peep sights perhaps?

FF, I thought I had issues!

I've still not fired mine and I've had it for almost 2 years. I did check it and clean it today, I hope to shoot it soon (with cast)

A new England or Skinner peep sounds like the business on this fast pointing single shot.

Saved from myself. I have missed out on the second 303, a last minute bid came in, way higher than mine and I stepped down to make sure the widow got the most out of the sale. So back to the original 303, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    What? Arguably one of the best bolt action battle rifles ever designed, and it's got problems with rain?
    Fussy Target shooters I reckon. I carried a SMLE as a cadet and one two week camp it rained continually and we carried our rifles everywhere. We had a range shoot towards the end of the camp and with twenty or so teenagers blasting away, It looked like an outdoor sauna.

Our diggers didn't seem to have any problems in the jungles of New Guinea and the Brits didn't have much trouble in rainy old Europe. The weather for WW2 was pretty much the worst for the century.

I loaded up some PPU / Highland 150Gn soft points using AR2208 (Varget in the States) today and got terrible results at the range. I moved back to 50 yards and one of the loads I was working up went 1.5" for three shots, the rest were at least 2-3" back to the drawing board.

Boolit Master

My favorite powder for my No4mk1 loading is IMR4064. Last week I shot my long branch that I restored from a sporterized ugly to a fighting rifle again.

I have never had any military surplus .303, good or otherwise to try so mine have always been Winchester cases, IMR 4064 and sierra .311 150 grain pro hunters. An old policeman of Scottish descent nudged me in that direction with the pro hunter bullets. The long branch shot 2" with the iron sights at 100 yards.

Wish some more HXP surplus .303 would show up again. Last time it wAs available in the states no one would ship to NY.

Banned
    Yet another score by Ruger to sucker in the "I must have every one collector". These "black pads" have blah wood, poor wood finishing and are typical of Ruger standards since Bill passed.

The only way to salvage one is to buy a red pad with good wood, swap the wood and sell on the donor. Usually break even or a bit worse. That's how my 450-400 ended up with a red pad. (4th one down)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger No 1s.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	204532

Good thinking Eldon, I have a couple of red pads with excellent timber and am thinking of letting all of My No1s go apart from the 303Brit. I'll keep that in mind, it is yet to prove itself in the shooting department yet though. Off to the range tomorrow with it.

Banned
    If you want to sell any red pads, pls PM me.

I'm in Australia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast