RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger No 1 in 303 British?

Ruger No 1 in 303 British?

Has anyone got one of these? What is you overall impression?

Does it measure up in this caliber? Are they accurate?

I've never owned a single shot Ruger before. They sound like a great cast rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I have seen some reports that the bore is oversize so acuracy with factory amo would not be up to scratch,I hope this is only a rumor as I would like to get one

Boolit Buddy
    I have one. My bore measures .303 with a measurement of .313 land to land.

A good review here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...in-303-British

Hopefully you have access to the review without having to sign into the site.

Boolit Buddy

The latest issue of Handloader Mag has an article by John Barness about this rifle in 303 British.
    Centex Bill

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=grullaguy;1326112]I have one. My bore measures .303 with a measurement of .313 land to land.

A good review here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...in-303-British

Hopefully you have access to the review without having to sign into the site.[/QUOTE .314 to .316 is the measurments I have read about ,if this is true I wonder what Ruger was thinking ,good for custom cast loads but not pratical for the standard shooter or reloader

I read the article in handloader magazine. The tested rifle had a tighter chamber and barrel than most military rifles. Shot some sub MOA groups too (J words).

If no one has experience with the caliber/rifle combo, what about the No 1 as a hunting rifle in general?

Boolit Buddy
    No 1s have been used to shoot everything from gophers to elephants since the rifle was developed. The rifles can sometimes be finicky due to the two piece stock. Some rifles shoot great right out of the box while others need work done to their fore ends for top accuracy.

They are all beautiful rifles styled after the single shots used in Africa in the very early days. That is why the .303 caliber in that rifle has so much nostalgia for many in the Commonwealth.

Boolit Master
    .314 to .316 is the measurments I have read about ,if this is true I wonder what Ruger was thinking ,good for custom cast loads but not pratical for the standard shooter or reloader

Its ridiculous to build a semi custom single shot in .303 and give it the same loose tolerance bores as milsurp .303 rifles.
    getting a Lee Enfield to shoot well is more often than not finding a bullet that will bump up enough to fill out the oversized milspec bores.
    Theres no lack of .311-312 matchgrade bullets out there, but even a .312 boat tail bullet in a .316 bore is a waste of time.

Personally I wouldn't invest this sort of money in a rifle thats going to require a lot of load development and still might never shoot accurately with more than a handful of flat base bullet types.

They could very easily have found a supplier of .311 barrel blanks, its not rocket surgery after all.

This one is BLOODY accurate!!
    it hasn't shot any cast yet however, just jacketed bullets.
    Kepplinger trigger, half round/octagon Shilen barrel with express sights, custom sling swivel, wood from Treebone Carving with ebony grip cap.
    All work done by Bill Leeper, including the lever modification.
    David
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice,is it a 303

Quote Originally Posted by herbert buckland View Post
    Very nice,is it a 303
    YUP!
    It was actually built when we were talking about how it would be nice to have Ruger build on at the factory, an the 24 hour campfire and Canadian Gun Nutz
    As it turned out, Clay Smiley of Prophet river Firearms is a big Ruger dealer in Canada, and contacted them about doing a limited run of 250.
    The rest is history!

David

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    I read the article in handloader magazine. The tested rifle had a tighter chamber and barrel than most military rifles. Shot some sub MOA groups too (J words).

If no one has experience with the caliber/rifle combo, what about the No 1 as a hunting rifle in general?
    I have LOTS of experience with both the No.1 as a hunting rifle, and the 303 Brit cartridge .
    Both are great , the Ruger is a fantastic fire arm, and as far as the .303 goes, more moose have likely been killed with it in Canada than the 30/30!
    It's a great , mild recoiling cartridge for ranges out to 250.
    David

I hear Leeper does very good work

He comes recommended by many.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David todd View Post
    I have LOTS of experience with both the No.1 as a hunting rifle, and the 303 Brit cartridge .
    Both are great , the Ruger is a fantastic fire arm, and as far as the .303 goes, more moose have likely been killed with it in Canada than the 30/30!
    It's a great , mild recoiling cartridge for ranges out to 250.
    David
    Yes I too like the No 1 and the 303 cartridge,it is just that I do not want to buy a rifle that has a grosly oversized bore,am trying to get feed back from people who have bought one,so fare the feed back has been all bad in Australia were I live,wondering weather we got a bad batch or is this the norm,I have giver up beliving gun magizine reports on rifles as of late they just seemeto be indistry spin

Do these rifles come supplied with rings and bases? I bought an M77 mk2 some years back and I have a vague recolection that the rings and bases were supplied with it.

On Heaven's Range

Enough speculation, already.

I bought my #1 in .303 British almost exactly a year ago. Medical events have prevented any serious work with it, BUT....

I had cast a bunch of NOE 316299 bullets, and after watching this thread for a while I was finally moved to do something.

The NOE bullets are .303" nose diameter, as cast. I tapped one of these into the muzzle of my Ruger and found it was HEAVILY engraved by the rifling,with engraving visible for half of the nose length.

I then dropped another bullet into the throat, and drove it in to engrave the full width of the first band. Measuring the diameter of that band, I found the LARGEST dimension to be .313".

Dare I say that these dimensions are just about perfect for a .303 British rifle?

Yes, the #1 comes with Ruger rings. Bases on #1 and M77 are integral, not separate.

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled programming....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Bruce,
    I'm glad to hear the dimentions in your Ruger are spot on. Apart from Herbert's post casting a little doubt, I haven't realy heard much not to like about these rifles.

I hope your health issues are more behind you than in front, and you get to put her the it's paces. Look foreward to hearing your results when you do.

Thanks to all for sharing.

Rob

Boolit Buddy
    The corect dementions for a .303 british is .303 for the bore and .311 groove diameter.Many military rifles were over size,but acuracy was not as good as it could be.I could proby live with one that had a .313 groove barrel but not over this,I really want one of these rifles but the rumores hav stoped me for now

It was about time that a modern single shot in 303 British was on the market. The Ruger #1 is a very classy rifle, very strong. Case life ought to be great, much better than the old Lee Enfield.

And you can shoot it in the rain!:

Owners of Enfield No 4 actioned rifles in any calibre are strongly advised
    not to use them in wet weather or without removing all traces of oil from
    action and chamber prior to shooting.
    British NRA Spring 2010 issue, page 11.

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/gen...RA&category=14

What? Arguably one of the best bolt action battle rifles ever designed, and it's got problems with rain?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast