Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobil one lube and BW lube?

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    i use mobil 15-50synthetic oil mixed 3 to 1 with colman fuel for my patched round balls
    Why on Earth would you want to use white gas for a bullet lube

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Why on Earth would you want to use white gas for a bullet lube
    other than thinning the oil the coleman fuel does not have a use after you wet the patch material. the fuel evaporates. you are not putting the wet patch down the bore
    Last edited by wgr; 07-13-2011 at 07:31 PM.

The school of thought and the experience most guys have are to use non petroleum products in their lube. I've not heard of anyone using a synthetic motor oil either. Some have used transmission fluid as a substitute for sperm whale oil.
    Transmission fluid is most definitely a petroleum product. It is a hydraulic fluid, one that has been refined from crude oil, mixed with specific additives for the clutch plates and valve materials found in a transmission.

Synthetic oils are manufactured from petroleum stock and are very durable long chain molecules. Motor oils also have a witches brew of additives to increase their life and reduce friction in an engine. Modern motor oils are outstanding lubricants.

I do not understand why motor oils or synthetic oils would not work very well in a bullet lube. Maybe the additives have caused people issues?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by SlamFire1 View Post
    I do not understand why motor oils or synthetic oils would not work very well in a bullet lube. Maybe the additives have caused people issues?
    As in this thread, and the one about case separations with wet chambers, you find yourself not 'understanding' why things happen in a certain way ... when black powder is the propellant.

On THIS issue, when (most) petroleum products are present in the bore when the cartridge fires, the lube, bore conditioner, rust preventative (or whatever the petroleum was supposed to be doing) mixes with the fouling from the burning black powder and creates a hard, tight, difficult-to-remove type of residue that nobody wants to deal with.

Natural substances like animal fat, vegetable oils, and most synthetics don't cause that tar-like build-up.

In the future, when you find a subject of discussion that 'surprises you', or that you 'don't understand why' it occurrs ... look up at the forum title.
    If you are (again) in the Black Powder area, that will probably explain your confusion.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12