WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 30 shot target made in 1875 by Doc Pardee

30 shot target made in 1875 by Doc Pardee

Some years ago I received a reproduction of an 1875 Winchester catalog. On page 24 there was a picture of a target containing 30 shots made with the 1873 Winchester rifle by E.H. Pardee, MD, from San Francisco, California.

In part he wrote:
    “It affords me much pleasure to communicate to you the result of 30 consecutive shots at the distance of 110 yards, with one of the improved Winchester rifles (1873).

The firing was done without wiping, which proves the Winchester steady in her performance and gives assurance to the sportsman that if he only performs his part in manipulation of the piece, he need not fear the California jaguar, or grizzly bear.”
    (……or protecting buffalo hunters from Indians)

The group measures about 4” which at 100 yards would equate to a 3.6” group. I decided to see if that could be equaled in this era using the original 44-40 bullet. I did not get the chance / focus to do so until recently (too many other projects).

My first attempt in May, 2011, resulted in a group measuring about 5” or so, but encouraging was the fact that 25 rounds did group inside of 4”

For my second attempt in June, 2011, I decided to mount a 4X scope on the rifle since I wanted it to be a true test of the rifle / ammunition combination rather than a test of the rifle / ammunition / and my aging eyesight . In my earlier years I could shoot iron sights as well as a scope, but not anymore.....

Here's the target with the ammunition recipe and a tribute to Doc Pardee who started me down this path.... Thank you Doc.
    I drew the circle after the target was made.

I want to express my thanks to "Fairshake" who had ACCURATE MOLDS make a copy of the 427098 bullet design but with flat bottomed lube grooves like the original 44-40 factory lead bullets were and to specify that the mold drop bullets at .429" diameter which is a good fit for current 44-40 barrels. I used bullets from that ACCURATE MOLD for my testing.

Prior to the 1st 30 shot attempt, I did try Goex and Schuetzen powders with the 427098 to see if they would go the distance, but both "fouled out" in 15 rounds (hard ring of fouling from the muzzle back into the barrel a couple of inches) and the group(s) really opened up. Perhaps they would work ok in 20" and less barrels but they didn't in that extra 4" (24") on the Marlin Cowboy with the original 44-40 bullet.

As we all know, it is kind of neat to walk in the footsteps of the ones that have gone before us……..

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

ahhh another early riser....er maybe a late snoozer!!!

cool experiment and great target. thanks for sharing this and id for one like to see more of these come down the pike. i remember reading a muzzle loader bemoaning the fact that he observed another shooter putting his lips over the muzzle of his shooter and blowing down the barrel before loading another round...he knew as well the importance of keeping the fouling soft for the next load.

i foolishly didnt remember this lesson with my first experiments with the bp cartridge which gave me fits for the longest time till i finally took the advise and blew several lung-fulls down the bore of my hi-wall between shots...shazam...what a diff.

thanks again for the example of.......how it was back then.....and still can be today!

In Remembrance
    deleted ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.