Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BFR vs. FA revolvers

And see the rear sight? That is sighted in. Needs a tall sight. The Ruger screw attached sights aren't much, if any, taller than the base of the Weigand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    And see the rear sight? That is sighted in. Needs a tall sight. The Ruger screw attached sights aren't much, if any, taller than the base of the Weigand.
    I can see why it needs to be very high. The short barrel must really come up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    I don't know if it's that simple. BFR screws their front sights on while the Ruger sights are soldered on.
    Only on some guns and most with a soldered base have a pinned in blade.
    I don't find any solder on these!
    Last edited by 44man; 08-17-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Boolit Master

Longer barrels would need taller front sights - boolit is in barrel longer during recoil. Doing the math shows that the same angle, extended further down a longer barrel, requires a longer leg on that side of the triangle - taller sight. Less velocity and more boolit weight makes for a taller sight needed. Lighter and faster shoots lower, slower and heavier shoots higher.

Anybody make a screw-on steel sight for BFRs? Seems like there would be a market for it, unless the weight of the steel would overload the mounting screw during recoil?

Boolit Master

Banded steel front sight!

Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    Longer barrels would need taller front sights - boolit is in barrel longer during recoil. Doing the math shows that the same angle, extended further down a longer barrel, requires a longer leg on that side of the triangle - taller sight. Less velocity and more boolit weight makes for a taller sight needed. Lighter and faster shoots lower, slower and heavier shoots higher.

Anybody make a screw-on steel sight for BFRs? Seems like there would be a market for it, unless the weight of the steel would overload the mounting screw during recoil?

Longer barrels need shorter sights. The boolit is in the barrel longer, therefore more muzzle rise, so a shorter sight is needed. Shorter barrel=less time for muzzle rise, so a taller sight is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Only on some guns and most with a soldered base have a pinned in blade.
    I don't find any solder on these!

Those are 4 Ruger sights from 10.5" Supers, Single Sixes, and maybe a MKII. Followed by 3 BFR sights.

The only pinned in blades Ruger offers are on their stainless revolvers.

For the record, I don't understand why they don't screw attach them all at Ruger. I guess the assembly line makes it easy to solder em on. Or at least easier than it is for me at home.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Longer barrels need shorter sights. The boolit is in the barrel longer, therefore more muzzle rise, so a shorter sight is needed. Shorter barrel=less time for muzzle rise, so a taller sight is needed.
    The more the muzzle rises, the taller sight you need, not shorter, so the barrel starts out lower when the sights are aligned.

Banned

Gun weight helps hold the barrel down so things tend to even out. The large calibers will really whip a short barrel up fast. Even though a boolit is in less time, it is hard to beat that rise.
    My 10-1/2" .44 has almost no rise to speak of. Shoot my loads from a shorter barrel and it whips so fast and high it twists my wrist.
    Gun weight must be considered for sight height.
    Even how the gun is held will change that. Those that like "roll" need higher sights.
    Shooting with one hand can need higher too.
    Ask me high high I overshot a deer with the .475 when he came on the wrong side and I shot at him with one hand. I think I needed a 2' front sight!

Boolit Mold
    I have owned an FA and have a BFR on order. I had my front sight fall off with the FA and when I contacted the company they said that they had had some problems with the soder and I come send it back to the company for repair--at my cost of shipping both ways and PAYING FOR THE WORK TO BE DONE. I got it done, sold it and have never, ever considered buying a FA again. At least (I understand) that Magnum Research stands behind their work. I have ordered a BFR in 454 from Cabelas. It is a 5.5" version for $950. What a deal...and I won't even have to worry about the front sight...

Boolit Buddy
    Holy necropost!
    Sorry to hear, love FA. Let us know on the bfr.im sure it will be great

Boolit Master
    The BFR should be a good gun. The front sight won't be soldered on, but held with a screw. That is a good thing as they are aluminum, and not the best in the world, the rear is pure Ruger, and of similar quality, also easily changed. The trigger will likely stink on either brand, but those are easy to fix too. The BFR grips are super cheesy, but some like them. Those too are easy to replace or make. Both shoot similarly in my experience. Enjoy your new toy
    Last edited by dubber123; 10-23-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Dear No Nothing SIRS: All you really need is a longer barrel, a Stock, a Lever, and MARLIN stamped JM on the side. Caliber .45-70 or .38-55 for fun. COWBOY model... What else is there. I Duck hunted all my life starting with the HOLY GRAIL - LEAD SHOT. I have started to "SEE THE LIGHT" with 3 Marlins, stamped "JM"..... forward all response's to "CLAYPOOL"......!

Boolit Master
    Although a .454 is very close to perfect....!

Train wreck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    Here ya go - sixshot has sold them in the past, as I purchased two. Just PM him on the attached forum and ask for the BFR sight.
    http://singleactions.proboards.com/t.../sixshot-sight

Banned

I have not been able to get here for a while, found it was my computer.
    But let me explain why I don't like the Bisley, mostly my huge archery knuckle that the trigger guard loves.
    Most important is I never get the same grip so if I shoot and put the gun down, I will be off the next time. The S&W 29's do the same with me. I also do not like the RH grips but the SRH just needs held firm.
    Shooting IHMSA I could center every steel, put the gun down for target setters and clean miss the next 5 shots. Turns out it was the grip. Of all the revolvers, the S&W was the worst.
    I have made the Bisley shoot on occasion but I have never matched groups. Now a SBH with wood panels will make me lose a few pints from my knuckle so I need Pachmeyer's on them.
    Now remember not all Bisley grips are the same either. Jack makes a style that might work for me.
    Shooting the Freedom .475 was so much better with the rubber grips they sold.

Banned

As for sights, I remove the front anyway if it is screwed on since some Grinch replaced them with a hairball so I need the Ultra Dots.
    Some barrels do not have enough thickness for a hole so they solder them on.

Boolit Mold
    I know this is an older thread, but I just purchased a BFR 44 mag after reading an article regarding the most recent options available from Magnum Research. Apparently, you may now order your BFR with the Bisley grip frame if you prefer. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-research-bfr/

Banner Sponsor

That is kind of a crazy looking Bisley grip. I'd like to try it on a 475 or 500 JRH.

One thing he didn't mention in his article is that the 45/410 BFR will also chamber 454s.
    It might have been nice to see a target with his 45Colt loads instead of the 410 splatter.
    I really like the looks of the new rear sight.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234