MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter

Boolit Buddy

Pewter

I picked up 7 3/4 lbs of Pewter today off Ebay. Sometimes I wonder if I'mmelting down stuff worth more than the tin>>> Anyone have an opinion??

Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Longwood
    So far in my searches, I have found one piece that weighed a little over a pound for $3 and about 20 pieces that were priced much closer to $100.

Boolit Buddy
    Longwood, I bought three pitchers, a couple of candle sticks a vase, and a small bowl off Flebay for $10.50 and the shipping was about the same. Guess I lucked out. Total weight was 7 3/4 lbs. after I cast it all into little ingots.. I was really cranked...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Wildman , you did luck out. Most of that stuff is really thin and candlesticks are weighted with only a little pewter in the skin.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

smelting pewter with a conscious ... yes i have mulled it , some pieces have hysterical value ( ok ok historical if you must ) sometimes that value isnt easy to figure and more often than not harder to get , i have a small collection that i'll smelt only in desperation and hope i find more before i need too !! as you note from your Ebay purchases unless an item is really hot there's not alot of demand , wizards, dragons and the like i have no qualms melting and unless a really choice piece i wont even research it , belt buckles almost always say "limited edition # XXXX of XXXX" [shrugz] i would indeed feel awful if i realized i just smelted paul revere's last tankard or the like however , even some mangled stuff could be worth more than readily apparent , i suppose the line we draw will always be our own ...
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Hey Jack, My wife has a collection of Wilton Pewter. It is not pure pewter but a alloy of seven metals that is forged in Pa. It is very expensive with a plate selling for over $60. If you ever come across any of it, sell it as it is way too hard to smelt and is worth more to the collectors.The pure type of pewter is very easy to bend and my problem is when I find it, I don't know if it is valuable and like you posted, I may melt the wrong thing.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Wilton doesn't sell petwer at all. Their stuff is a proprietary blend of metals and not of any value to a boolit caster.

The stuff I buy from the local Goodwill is beat up trash, so I don't much worry about it being valuable.

For the OP, if you bought it from eBay, it wasn't worth more or there would have been someone to outbid you.

Boolit Grand Master

I cast large slugs of all I find. Makes it easy to add small known amounts to the mix.

I just buy tin or solder then I KNOW what it is. Pewter stuff is all over the place in composition.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    I just buy tin or solder then I KNOW what it is. Pewter stuff is all over the place in composition.
    I'm pleased that you are so prosperous!

I'll keep looking for cheap pewter when I can find it. I KNOW it is all close enough to add to boolit alloy as pure tin.

Boolit Master

The only WILTON stuff around here looks way too much like cast aluminium.
    It is very easy to tell it from pewter.
    Jack

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

pewter

I am very aware of what Wilton sells and has. I have a few thousand dollars of it in my kitchen cabinets. I was posting to inform Jack who is a friend that many people call it pewter and to stay away from it.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    If I'm sure it's pewter I don't ingotize it, just cut it up in pieces
    to add to the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I'm pleased that you are so prosperous!

I'll keep looking for cheap pewter when I can find it. I KNOW it is all close enough to add to boolit alloy as pure tin.
    Traded 50lbs of WW for 10lbs solder. The WW were free so that makes it cheaper than buying pewter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Traded 50lbs of WW for 10lbs solder. The WW were free so that makes it cheaper than buying pewter.

I love to banter!

You traded WW worth $50 American for 10 pounds of what mix solder? 50/50, 63/37? Did it come on the reel or with certs? If not, how do you really know it is what it was represented to be?

OK I'll play.

63/37

Traded with a member

Boolit Grand Master

$5 a pound for 63% tin makes my $3 or less a pound 80% or better tin seem like a pretty sweet deal.

But at least a trade with a member gives you reasonable assurance that it actually is what you paid for.

Boolit Master
    Tin at $5.00 per pound is still cheap.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Tin at $5.00 per pound is still cheap.
    Well, since it was only 63% tin, the per pound price was more like $7.93. And I doubt that 50 pounds of lead got to the solder trader for free, so better add on another $1.59 a pound for the flat rate box.

Now, you can still say that $9.52 a pound is better than commodity prices for virgin tin and you'd be right.

But $3.75 a pound for tin from scrounged pewter beats that price with a stick.

You use that funny math.

Free WW plus $10 shipping got me almost 12lb of solder. That is about 7 lb tin with 4lb lead. And I didn't spend any gas money looking for it. Thats closer to $1.50/lb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast