Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: 1/2 Lb Linotype and Monotype ingots ?

Boolit Master

1/2 Lb Linotype and Monotype ingots ?

A older guy from the club needed some wire ing done so he could sell his house
    So I did it for him and told him no charge , only took me a hour
    And a few $ in supplys

He insisted on giving me something
    So he ask me if I wanted his lead stash as payment, as he was moving into assisted living in less than a month

Of course

I was shocked
    About 1000 lb , maybe more in ingots
    Each pile was labled .....Range , Wheel Weights , Pure or Lyman #2

But he also had 4 5 gallon buckets to take
    1 3/4 buckets was Linotype in strips
    The other 2 buckets were labled Monotype and Linotype were each 2/3 full
    But it was all in about 1/2 lb ingots
    Each ingot was cast in a mold that had Monotype or Linotype
    In raised letters , sort of like a Lyman or Lee mold

My quick scratch test says they are hard and they ring

The ingots are about 2 1/4" x 1 3/8" x 1/2"
    Are these real Lino and Mono ingots ?

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    John,

I can't answer your question but that's one heck of a score. I hit the "mother lode" when I 1st started casting around 20 years or so. A fellow listed range lead for sale in the local newspaper for $50, if I remember correctly. I called and he said he thought it was about 200lbs. When I looked at the stash of 1lb ingots, I quickly handled him the $50 and started loading it in the car trunk. Buy the time it was all loaded the front wheels barely touched the ground and I had to pull out the air pump for the rear tires. Fortunately home was not far. It turned out to be around 800lbs of range lead. I still have a bunch of it.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the score of the century. My guess is that this guy was very well organized and therefore it is whatever it says. Congrats.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

I agree with bumpo. I doubt that he'd label any of it wrong. He sounds too precise to make a mistake like that. Enjoy it! Maybe you ought to visit him from time to time if you can. He'll likely get lonely and depressed where he is going.

Remember, he is "us" in the future. I expect some day that my family will give away all of my unused stash and equipment once I am gone! I hope the guy who gets it appreciates how well and accurately it is labeled!

Boolit Buddy
    Defcon-one make an excellent point. He IS us in the future. We all hope for what John came across, but this gentleman used to scrounge and trade as well. Visiting and hearing his stories of times gone by are worth as much as the lead.

Boolit Master

+1 for Defcon's comments. Great score, never forget him.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

What a score! Not only should you stop in and visit him, ask if he wants to ride out to the range for an hour or two. I'm sure he would enjoy it even if he just watched.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

That's a real nice reward for doing a good deed. Congratulations!

The ingots are not what a foundry would have delivered, but I would use them as marked.

Boolit Master
    It pays to be a decent Human being! Sometime, when you go into the next life things like that will toss you to the top of the list.