Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 580 into a 9X19 pumpkin gun

Boolit Master

Remington 580 into a 9X19 pumpkin gun (pictures added)

finally found a $50 remington 580 and have most of the conversion done. still some fitting work to do. might get a screw on can for this...

remington 580, 581, and 582 are bolt action 22 LR rifles that have a 2 piece bolt and 6 locking lugs on the rear section. lots of people have converted them to various centerfire cartridges, and my own testing indicates that they will handle a 9X19 nicely. the hard part is finished, so i thought i'd splain how it's done...

the barrel on this gun is retained by 2 cross pins. drifting them out, turning a 9X19 chambered blank to correct dims, sweating it and cross-pinning it in place seems to be the beginning of the work. it ain't. knowing where to set the barrel requires that you modify the bolt, first.

modifying the bolt is a piece of cake. the front section is seperated from the rear section by drifting a cross pin that joins them. the extractor spring clip is carefully lifted off, and the extractors and firing pin can be removed for copying with modification.

the firing pin is a 1mm thick flat leaf steel contoured type. scratching it's outline on a worn out sawzall bi-metal blade and adding a dog leg to allow for the point of the firing pin to strike about 3/32 of an inch lower is simple enuf. shaping is done with a fine bench grinder while holding the blank with a vice grip. the slot milled at 12 o'clock for the firing pin is deepened at the bolt face with a hacksaw or a narrow cut-off wheel. though an ideal centerfire firing pin is about .070", the 1mm (.037") pin stopped piercing primers when i got it shaped and rounded and set for .055" projection.

the double extractors have to be trimmed to allow over-riding a 9mm rim while inside the receiver body. they are also 1mm flat stock, so if you screw them up you can cut new ones from another sawzall blade. shaping the interior of hook to optimise the groove allows you to retain as much stock as possible. you need it.

setting the barrel in the receiver is a bit tricky. the rear of barrel is a reduced diameter shank, and will not sit as far back as the 22 LR barrel does due to the way a 9X19 fits in the standard chamber, exposing the entire groove and rim area. this fit also negates the milled slots seen in the 22 LR barrel for the forward point of extractors. best fit is obtained by WAG turning the blanks reduced tenon and try fitting with the bolt. perfect headspace is acheived when the extractors of the bolt slip over a case that is already chambered as the bolt is driven home. since we are trippling the muzzle energy of this critter, i added a plumber's solder sweat to the cross-pinning for safety.

the plastic bullet/bolt guide found screwed to the bottom of the 580 single shot receiver will not be in the 581 (tube magazine) or 582 (box magazine) receivers. in any case, we are throwing it away and adding a new bolt guide to keep the front of bolt in correct rotation that will incorporate a new ejector (previously in the plastic bullet guide). a magwell housing is made from 16 gauge sheet metal and fitted for 9 largo magazines (spanish destroyer type) that have recently appeared very cheaply at gunshows. for a moment we considered using a beretta 92 magazine for capacity and commonality, but decided the extra length of the largo magazine would allow for super heavy weights at just subsonic speed. some 200 grain lead round nose .358 castings that have been on the shelf for 2 decades just might find their way thru a .355 swaging die...and yeild a "power factor" of 200 at 1000 fps (equal to a 45 ACP).

so i need to find a suitable buttplate, and get a 1" scope ring set that will clamp to the grooved receiver. i know it goes bang repeatedly. i just wonder if i can keep it under 2" at 100 yards...maybe an evil looking steel skeletonized folding stock or some such...

pix below
    Last edited by justashooter; 12-31-2015 at 09:19 PM.

How about some pictures>?

Boolit Master

Helping a friend turn one into a 17HMR. We threaded the action and screwed the barrel in. Very simple operation with a lathe.
    I have one that will be made into a 32 S&W when I get the time.

Boolit Grand Master

????????????

What sort of bolt lockup does this have? Most of the .22 LR bolt guns that I have seen
    are nowhere near strong enough for a 9mm, typically using just the bolt handle to lock
    the bolt. Does this design have some actual bolt lugs? The thrust on a 9mm would
    be far higher than a .22 LR and if you are counting on the bolt handle, I'd sure want
    to be somewhere far away the first time you fire it.

I know nothing about this design, so maybe these are just in the "dumb question"
    catagory, and maybe this is an action that is much stronger than I am thinking of.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Yep, this action is very strong. Basically it's a mini 788, though with two rows of locking lugs instead of three. (IIRC)

I have one I am threading and fitting up a fast twist 22 barrel to. First it's going to be a test bed for my reloaded 22LR ammo with heavy weight cast bullets. I'm going to chamber it with a 22 centerfire throater and see what happens. Then after I am bored with that it's going to get a new bolt front end and be chambered for a somewhat shortened 5.7X28 FN round. I don't feel real good about full pressure 5.7 ammo in it, so I'll shorten it by .050" or so and have a wildcat that can't shoot factory ammo. Should make a dandy 4 to 5 lb. prairie dog gun. (Originally I was going to make it a 25 NAA, but found out those use 25 acp bullets and not .257" rifle bullets and I don't want to get a custom reamer made.)

As for the bolt nose, I had never heard anybody doing it like Justashooter describes, though I don't see why it wouldn't work. I just make a new front half of the bolt with a regular centerfire firing pin and a little sako extractor, and plunger ejector. I use the hole in the bottom that the factory loading tray fit in for a bolt guide to keep it from rotating.

Boolit Master

I have one of the 582's that I seriously considered converting to .25 ACP. I thought that with a cast boolit it be quite the little performer out of a 24 inch rifle barrel. Figured that I could probably get the rounds to feed through the mag without to much work. Never did it though.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post
    How about some pictures>?
    http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4900

someone else is being busy

Boolit Master
    I've got one in .32 long, and it's a great gun. I'm working on getting another to convert to my wildcat cartridge, the .22/.32 long.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    some pics:

the stock is cut down to scale the 16.5" barrel, which gives 1260 fps with wolf 115 factory. looking forward to trying some 147 grain and some 158 grain SWC resized from .358 to .356 over unique or blue dot. the longer magazine should allow. may end up throating long to get up to 195 grain casting weight if i don't top out sub-sonic by 158.

will finish the barrel and action in a satin black and put a 1" scope on it before i'm done. the stock has been stripped and refinished in dark walnut stain and a satin clearcoat.

accuracy testing puts 7 shots factory ammo into an inch and half at 35 yards without trying very hard. the trigger is one of the worst i will admit to owning, and seems un-adjustable. this was a "low dollar first kid's gun" in the 60's, so what more should i expect?

the 9X19 is the longest cartridge you can stuff into one of these and get a repeater. the action is just too short to go any longer in cartridge length. less than a C note in so far, i'm not complaining...

odd features: a magazine well made from 16 gauge sheet that is welded to the receiver bottom, the centerfire firing pin on left in last photo, an 80 year old single stack magazine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8125.jpg   IMG_8126.jpg   IMG_8127.jpg  
    Last edited by justashooter; 07-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    re their comments regarding extractors; they can be made, like the firing pin, from sawzall bi-metal blades.

Boolit Buddy
    Wonder if one of these action could handle a 7.62x25?
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dominicfortune00 View Post
    Now that would be the cats meow!
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dominicfortune00 View Post
    i am at about 400 foot pounds, and would see the 7.62 at about 500. action strength not an issue for you, but feeding might be an issue if you go magazine fed. the action length and bolt travel is the limiting factor. the bottleneck should feed easy even in a short stroke.

compare the OAL of a 9mm largo with the tokarev round for your answer. if the tokarev is no longer than a largo i think you can get magazine feed if things are finagled in just right. if i can find a cheap enfield barrel and another donor gun i will make one up with a T-33 magazine.

Boolit Master
    Action length is the real issue, about 2 minutes with a milling machine can yield an extra 3/16" of bolt travel, maybe more.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

You guys are completely insane..... I love it...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My 580 is a .32 ACP

Attachment 221521Attachment 221522

John Taylor did for me a Remington 722 in 7.62x25

Attachment 221523
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    ????????????

What sort of bolt lockup does this have? Most of the .22 LR bolt guns that I have seen
    are nowhere near strong enough for a 9mm, typically using just the bolt handle to lock
    the bolt. Does this design have some actual bolt lugs? The thrust on a 9mm would
    be far higher than a .22 LR and if you are counting on the bolt handle, I'd sure want
    to be somewhere far away the first time you fire it.

I know nothing about this design, so maybe these are just in the "dumb question"
    catagory, and maybe this is an action that is much stronger than I am thinking of.

Bill
    I have a 541 and it uses the same pattern bolt. It is like a mini 788 with two rows of lugs instead of three, just as Nobade pointed out.

Not only are the actions far stronger than they need to be for .22 rimfire, they are also extraordinarily accurate. I'm surprised Remington was able to sell those guns as long as they did, they must have been expensive to produce. In addition to the excellent action, Remington also equipped those rifles with outstanding barrels. As .22's they are very accurate.

That 580 inspires me Outpost. Is the bolt head made from scratch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That 580 inspires me Outpost. Is the bolt head made from scratch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yes. it was, the .32 ACP by Andy Evans.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I still shoot my 32 caliber 581 a fair bit, and it's a wonderful gun for small game hunting. I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for a project grade (and price) 580 for a build. I have another 581, but it does so well as a .22 I haven't had the heart to chop it up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast