Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Winnifred

Boolit Grand Master

Winnifred

This is a remington 700BDL, my brother in law saw her in a gun shop in northwest Arkansas and sent me a picture, they only wanted $375 for her. I fell in love and borrowed the money. I was thrilled to death to have a 300winmag but I usually cant afford nice firearms like this.

I got some ammo given to me and I ponied up the money for another twenty rounds. I went out to the short range and turned loose on the junk lying around out there. Amazing. The effect this rifle has is impressive. My 30-06 would break a 5" square rock into pieces, the 300winmag turns them into powder. Anyway, I ordered up an RCBS neck sizing die set and some guy in the powder isle recommended IMR 7828 as an excellent powder for this cartridge. I happen to like IMR powders so I got some. Out to the range I went with a bunch of them loaded with 79 grains of 7828 and 165gr sierra gameking bullets.
    Here is the very first target that I shot with this rifle.

I was dumbfounded, wonder-struck, thrilled to death! I left the range knowing that this rifle is now my best, I wont ever sell it. I'll shoot it till the barrel wears out, and then I'll screw on a new one. I dont know of another manufacturer that puts out this kind of quality.
    The first deer that I shot with it, taught me that this is too much for close range work. It was dusk, almost dark, and 'ol split-toe walked right out in front of me about thirty yards out. I put the cross hairs behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. All I remember about the shot is that my ears where ringing and I was blinded by the muzzle flash. (this rifle throws a 5ft flame at night.) As I tried to clear my eyes, I heard the deer running, then I heard an enormous crash! I trailed the deer for 30 yards and found him in front of a tree with both of his horns broken off. When we skinned him I discovered that if you shoot a deer 30 yards away with a lowly 165gr bullet, you can expect to find both lungs and part of the stomach turned into a strawberry milkshake the heart was split into three pieces. Definitely overkill for close range. However, in contrast, last year I shot a deer of about the same size from 300 yards away. The result was a very clean kill. It looked like it had been shot at thirty yards with an '06. Much better.
    Either way Winnifred put the 'ol meat on the 'ol table! Period.
    I am thinking of developing a low power load for this rifle. Possibly with cast boolits but I worry that copper and lead wont mix too well and it might be detrimental to that superb accuracy that I love so much.
    One thing is certain though, Winnifred is here for the long haul.
    Remington Rules!!!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think Remington loads what they call a reduced recoil round for that . I bet you could do something similar with your loading press and a load book . I am sure pulling the throtle of that back to aught six levels would not be hard at all . The only question then would be would it print where the high-test ammo goes at the ranges you want to shoot it . I guess you'll just have to spend more time at the range eh?

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

I guess you'll just have to spend more time at the range eh?
    Dang it! I guess you're right.
    Another good reason to scale back the loads is that Winnifred eats powder like an elephant. I only get 85 shots out of a pound of powder.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    "Old Remington rules"would probibly be more accurate.Mate your swatting flies with a flat shovel, throttle back for Bambi.Power of a 300 savage is about right for deer unless their in the next county.Your going to have to try cast,bet it will sling them just fine. Frank C.