RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 250-3000

250-3000

I came across a Ruger mannlicher stocked 250 Savage today in my travels, and it came home with me. I sure haven't seen one for a while although I foolishly sold a Ruger Ultra Light in that caliber years ago when they were common. I have a pile of the Lyman 257420, and 257318 boolits cast sized at .259, and lubricated. Does anyone have some good loads, etc. to share? I will start with Unique, and the faster powders since I won't be able to do much hunting with this gun.

In Remebrance

I don't have and good scoop on great loads, but I'm really happy for you! Those little Rugers were sweeeeeeet!

Boolit Master
    I got groups under 2" with iron sights at 50 yards with my .250-3000 Savage Model 20 with the Ideal 257420 and 13 gr SR-4759. Velocity was around 1565 ft/sec.

Banned

ive got one myself but have never shot cast through it. I dont know what you paid for it but last i looked they were bringing just over a grand. I wouldnt sell mine for twice that though.

I paid $850 for mine in unfired condition, or very nearly unfired....... bluing is still untouched on bolt face. That may have been too much to pay, but I haven't seen a .250 Savage Ruger around here for a very long time. I do have a friend that has a matched pair of .250 Savage No. 1's.......... ah the good old days at Ruger! Midway doesn't have brass right now so I may have to break down, and buy a box of ammo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    I paid $850 for mine in unfired condition, or very nearly unfired....... bluing is still untouched on bolt face. That may have been too much to pay, but I haven't seen a .250 Savage Ruger around here for a very long time. I do have a friend that has a matched pair of .250 Savage No. 1's.......... ah the good old days at Ruger! Midway doesn't have brass right now so I may have to break down, and buy a box of ammo.
    No .22-250 brass kicking around................

Boolit Grand Master
    12.0 grains of Alliant 2400 under a 100 grain NEI bore-rider (RG-4 lookalike) has shot very well for me in a Savage 99 so chambered.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    No load advice, but an older friend of mine showed me his .250 Mannlicher stocked 77 awhile back. Said it was the finest antelope rifle ever made. A truck bed full of dead antelope would have backed him up on that.
    Wonderful little rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_from_ct View Post
    No .22-250 brass kicking around................
    Yes, that would work, but I think Midsouth has some brass. It is available, just not all the time.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am seeing things I want to try, and I will try the lighter boolits I have cast, and lubed too.

Boolit Master
    I have an A&B barrel for a Stevens 200 that I haven't gotten around to converting yet. I sure hope I get a break and have time to do it this summer so my oldest son can use it this fall for whitetails. Thanks for moving this project up a few notches!!

Doc

In Remebrance

I have an Ultra Light that loves the 100 gr Nosler Partition and H335 IIRC. My oldest son has taken several deer and a small bear with it. It's back in Dad's hands now. It shoots the Ballistic Tips to the same point of aim and IIRC the 85 gr Speer (?) within an inch of the sight setting.

The 250 is one of those rounds I think of as a Woodsmans round, like the 257, 7x57, 280, 300 Savage and 35 Rem. No glitz and glamor, just good solid performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I have an Ultra Light that loves the 100 gr Nosler Partition and H335 IIRC. My oldest son has taken several deer and a small bear with it. It's back in Dad's hands now. It shoots the Ballistic Tips to the same point of aim and IIRC the 85 gr Speer (?) within an inch of the sight setting.

The 250 is one of those rounds I think of as a Woodsmans round, like the 257, 7x57, 280, 300 Savage and 35 Rem. No glitz and glamor, just good solid performance.
    I agree! It is one of those efficient rounds hat just goes about doing it's job well. The most accurate bolt action sporter I've ever owned was a .250 Ruger 77 that would shoot in the .3's pretty consistantly with Sierra spitzers. Unfortunately, the gun had a really heavy, and really nice stock ( weighed almost 10#), and I got talked out of it. I made some good money on that gun, but never thought it was the smartest move I ever made. This mannlicher will be in my estate whether, or not it shoots well. I just like having it.

Boolit Buddy
    NH,a very good find,250 sav. is one of the classics.I had a 99 250 Akley improved loved the cart. but the rifle had a very short light barrel felt all wrong.Rebarreled it to 358 win. probibly should have stayed with 250 but 358 taint too shabby.Frank C.

Boolit Bub
    I neck up 22-250 brass in a f/l die.
    It works a treat, just make suren you lube the neck well.

Banned

you didnt pay to much. Ive seen like new ones go for 1200. I wouldnt sell mine for what you paid. Like i said mine has never had cast in it but as far as what it likes its allways prefered 115-120s. My other 250s all have slower twists and like 87s. best bullet in it was the old solid base 120 nos but you cant find them anymore.

A friend of mine had a .250 built on a '98 Mauser action years ago. It was awesome. It had a Timney trigger that was set to about 2# and would shoot great. I wish I could find who has it now.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Well, I did get 100 rounds of new brass for the .250 so things are starting to come together. It didn't come with scope rings so I'll have to paw through my goodie box to see if I might have a set. I've been busy working on some short trails in my woods so I haven't done much shooting lately.