Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lead Fumes let's settle this.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    What about lead in the primers? I forgot the chemical name but it contributes to the lead intake more than casting. Lead Phytate?
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Lead styphenate

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Do not chew on window sills of old buildings.
    Dang, that's one of my favorite pastimes too.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

I just bought a canister of Lead-Off wipes to use when I am casting. My dad is 73 and has been reloading for about 50 years. But, he just started casting serious amounts of boolits the past several years; about 40k per year.

He's been degrading mentally quite noticeably the past year or so. He uses no wipes or any preventive measures. I suspect it's the lead as his dad was sharp as a tack well into his 80's.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I just bought a canister of Lead-Off wipes to use when I am casting. My dad is 73 and has been reloading for about 50 years. But, he just started casting serious amounts of boolits the past several years; about 40k per year.

He's been degrading mentally quite noticeably the past year or so. He uses no wipes or any preventive measures. I suspect it's the lead as his dad was sharp as a tack well into his 80's.
    I'd strongly recommend a lead/blood test for your Dad, even though he's 73. If it is Lead, the poisoning can be slowed/stopped with corrective measures and medication/Vit C to flush his system.
    With that said, there are also other reasons a 73 yr old will suffer memory loss, even if your grandfather didn't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

JonB - my wife keeps telling me that, then asks where her glasses are - she doesn't cast.
    Whatever!

I've had lead levels checked twice in the last five years. I was told they were well within acceptable range.
    I cast indoors, outdoors, where ever depending on the weather. I ALWAYS smelt outdoors with a fan.
    Indoors I cast with a manicurist fan. I use it when juggling more than one mold and angle it so it sucks the away from me.
    Never have a fan blowing ON you no matter how hot it is, it's pushing fumes right at you, duh.

There ARE real health concerns when it comes to lead but I think many people are overly cautious even to an extreme. I won't condemn that behavior. When it comes to your health, can you REALLY be too safe?

One rule applies to casting....and your whole life; Don't be an idiot.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see any "controversy" about this and it's been discussed many, many times on many, many forums. At casting temperatures, lead does not vaporize. Any "toxic" emissions during casting is from fluxing materials (wax, sawdust, lube, etc.). Period...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Lead paint chips with a dash of salt.... Yum!
    Bet you can't eat just one!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned

do a search for lead poisoning on here and you can spend a couple days getting your answer. Topics been beat to death.

Banned
    As Lloyd has said the topic has been beaten to death. Believe whatever you wish. I personally will have proper venting in the garage when I fire up the casting machine.

Boolit Master
    So casting on a patio with a fan blowing the smoke or fumes away from you should be pretty good then?

I did a lead test and it was background level.

But it's the fumes from the pot what ever they are I don't want to be breathing in.

Anyone got an outdoor setup they like to share.

I ladle pour.

Boolit Master
    I have comented on this before but lead boils at a little over 3000 degrees and I do not think any of us are going to be casting at anywhere near that temperature. We are not going to get lead poisoning from casting. Be sure to wash your hands after handling lead though.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 01-28-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    If your lead levels are high I doubt if it would be from proper casting procedures inside or out! Check how you clean you brass ...a lot of primer dust in vibratory cleaning, You have a lot of primer dust from your depriming trays
    Handle a lot of boolits without washing you hands?
    & A few other factors! Casting will be low on your list!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Mold
    I love the smell of hot lead in the morning!
    Seriously, lead boils to vapor at 3191 deg F. There is no danger of lead vapor in casting or shooting. There is a real danger inhaling fumes from impurities in the melt.

Boolit Mold
    "Lead must vaporize before you can inhale the lead vapor. That happens at about 1200 degrees"
    Actually that is 3191 deg F.

Boolit Master
    Read post 17.

Boolit Master
    When smelting is the time to be careful. Wheelweights in particular. When a dog goes by a tire,he always cocks a leg up. Awful vapors!
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    "Cleanliness is next to godliness"......and being lead-free!

Wash your hands, for goodness sake!!!!!! Lead "fumes" are the least of your problems.

Boolit Master

I always thought if I ever had high lead contamination in my body, someone else with a Smith or a Colt would be responsible for putting it there!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

My take: lead fumes start about 3000 degrees. I don't think the Lee 20 lb pot goes quite that high.
    The fumes from all the other junk that is in lead ( - wrappers, butts, caps, etc. - particularly when smelting wheel weights) is what I concerned about.
    My blood gets tested every year at my annual physical. Never as much as a trace of lead in my blood.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast