Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Analysis of cast boolit weight variences

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like you have the hang of it. Bet some of the light ones were early in the pot, mould was a bit cooler.

I would say that for all but accuracy games you could loads them all and shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Thanks mike, very helpful

As you can see, you are experiencing a 7g variance with a 300 grain cast. The exact same ratio I was experiencing with my 500+ grain boolits.

That said, I'd still like to see how folks are holding .2g variances. I'm begining to wonder if their scales need calibration

As one of the other posters noted, it's all a mater of your expectations and what you want to obtain in your accuracy. Benchrest shooters will weigh primers to have ABSOLUTE consistancy. Bullets with even a .1g variance will be set aside. Brass is weighed and culled. But these folks NEED all ten boolits to go into one small hole at 200 yards. Nothing else matters.

My problem is, once I started shooting BR, and I have rifles that can literally hit a fly at 200 yds (I've done it a few times), and then I take out my hunting rifles or these cast boolit rifles, and I'm shooting 2" -4" at 200 yards, I'm slightly dissatisfied. So I drive myself nuts to wring the most accuracy I can out of the rifle.

To me, "The only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle"........If I just wanted to go to the range and make noise, I'd bring fire crackers. I'm not suggesting that folks that go to the range and just haul off and fire a few hundred rounds aren't having fun. I know they are. But I get huige enjoyment by going to the range with 20 extremely accuratly loaded rounds and sometimes taking an hour or more to shoot them, always looking for that super small group. This is what I shoot and reload for. Sure, there are times I take out my AR15 and a big ol bag of 223 reloads and head to the range "to make noise". Or take a few semi-auto handguns and just plink away. To each his own.

I'm having a BLAST with this cast boolit stuff........nuff said!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123