WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Cast in early Glock 22

Boolit Buddy

Cast in early Glock 22

I know this has been beat to death. And I know most cast for there Glock pistols, but I want to put this out there a little different, as in Glock pistol specific.
    This being, an early model Glock model 22.
    In this gun you have the polygonal barrel as with all Glocks, which increases pressure in the barrel design. And can increase the potential for leading. Which would greatly increase the pressure of the already high pressure 40 S&W round,
    In the early Glocks you have the defect of firing out of Battery, so minimal leading or bullet lube build up could cause, an out of battery firing,
    The early Glock 22 unsupported barrel issue seems to be greater than the newer versions.
    In my Glock 22 Mid range loaded brass needs to be run threw the Redding G-RX die, which in turn work hardens the base of the brass making it likely to fail in this area.
    It just seems to me shooting lead in the early Glocks 22 would not be worth the risk.
    I know this will cause a controversy but, I am talking about only the early model Glock 22 in 40S&W.

Boolit Master
    Would it be any different than an early model Glock 23?

prs

Go onto the Dillon website and buy an aftermarket barrel for $99... Problem solved! They are drop-in and shoot great.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    All I can tell you is my LRN shoot just fine through my 21SF. Apples to oranges though as the 40S&W has a much higher pressure.

Boolit Buddy
    The reason I posted this, on many sights as well as this one, I have read guys argue that shooting lead in Glock factory barrels was nothing more than a urban legend.
    But with all Internet rumors, I believe there may be some truth to this one.
    And I believe the 1st generation Glock 22 may be the reason for the no lead in Glock factory barrels.
    But then this too is an opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    The reason I posted this, on many sights as well as this one, I have read guys argue that shooting lead in Glock factory barrels was nothing more than a urban legend.
    But with all Internet rumors, I believe there may be some truth to this one.
    And I believe the 1st generation Glock 22 may be the reason for the no lead in Glock factory barrels.
    But then this too is an opinion.
    I know this is an old thread, but this weekend several hundred rounds of 9 and 40 were run down two factory glock barrels (17 and 22) this weekend. Both were brand new gen 4's. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy.

My theory is, as long as you're doing everything right (SIZE, lube, crimp, pressure), there should be no prob.

Accuracy was great too!
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.