RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Targets

Hadn't occurred to me to use cheap paper plates. I made a plywood template, and I cut up every cardboard box that comes my way into 12 x 14 rectangles. Three of these clamped to my target frame in a stack will accept and retain pushpins, so I now just scribble a target with a marker on 8 1/2 x 11 printer paper and pin it to the cardboard. The cardboards last for 5-6 range sessions.

But I like the paper plate idea. Stiffer, so the wind won't flap it around if one of the pins comes loose.

Just was at the range this morning, and saw three 8" diameter shoot-n-see targets on a frame, which somebody left behind. Not a single hole in any of them. Wish I could afford that!
    Cognitive Dissident

Longwood
    I have used the paper plates since back in the 70's. I saw the way most people do them and decided I had a better way. I use a can of Zylon (because it dries faster) but I usually do the bottoms of the plates because they stay on the backer better when there is a cross wind.
    I sit the cap on the plates then paint around them so I have a white bullseye. The reason for that is because I want to see the center hits more than the ones in the outer ring. I find that holes in white bulls show up better.

Boolit Master

I don't know if they still sell them, but Sinclair International has/had stamps for 100/200 yard Benchrest targets. I've had my 100 yard stamp and the stamp pad over 20 years and it's still as good as new. I just add a little ink to the stamp pad occasionally. I use file cards as target paper for easy storage of the actual target and the data for future reference, but any type printable material would work fine. For pistol targets I use the stamp on paper plates and color in the square with a black magic marker.

Moderator Emeritus

Last time I was at the local Print shop.
    He had reams of 8.5" x 11" pink colored card stock.
    250 in a ream, for $2.00 a ream on closeout.

when I had a full time job, I'd always save copier paper, or Print sized paper.
    that was blank on one side...I always had more than I could shoot up.
    the job ended in 2003...I still have some of that paper...
    a word of warning, besure to shread any with trade secrets,
    it's not worth lossing a job over, if it can be traced back to you.

I use a black Ink pad "re-inker" to make a circle.
    they look like a underarm deoderant roller...and last for ever.
    the one I have must be 15 years old and still half full of ink.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I like to use NECCO wafers you can still get them at some candy stores. They are about an inch across and break like tiny clay Pigeons, and are a lot cheaper. It also gives the possums and coons something to eat at night.

http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolates...co-wafers.html
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master

Cool

Thanks for the idea Ben. Now another trip to the dollar store.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

Shooting Necco wafers. Boy, does that bring back memories. My father and I would line up 10 Neccos at 100 yds. We would alternate shooting at them with our, then new, 222s.
    Reactive tagets are always fun.
    I like going up in the mountains and shooting Shasta Fir cones. They literally explode, with small pieces fluttering down.
    Always with a safe background, or course.....dale

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I use a black Ink pad "re-inker" to make a circle.
    they look like a underarm deoderant roller...and last for ever.
    the one I have must be 15 years old and still half full of ink.
    #1 - That's what can be described as an "Elegant" suggestion!

Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master
    A a plain white 3x5 card at 100 yards cuts into 4 equil parts nicely with a scope. Also on ebone you can find cheep generic stick on target spots.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Also on ebone you can find cheep generic stick on target spots.
    I like those dots! But get mine from the stationary section of the local Dollar Store. Secretaries apparently use them to color code file folders. I get 500 1" dots for ...you guess it...a dollar! The yellow and chartreuse are virtually useless, but the blue, orange and green packs make very decent aiming points when trying to use up and get your money worth out of a B-27 silhouette target at the indoor range.

Check them out.....

Boolit Master
    During the sixties I used Necco wafers extensively for plinking targets. I also used a lot of Animal Crackers. What ever the birds and varmnts didn't get disappeared during the first decent rain. Now that I have no offspring devouring my targets I believe that I will start using them again. Wahhhhh!!!!! A damn skunk just sprayed something outside my window! My most favorite target!!! Neil

Boolit Master
    I have been swathing hay this week and have run two porcupines through the swather. For those folk that don't know what a swather is, it cuts the hay and then runs it through a set of rollers that crimps it to promote more even drying before it is baled. Running these varmints thru a swather is very bad, particularily if you don't see them. I picked them up with a pitchform and deposited them along a fence line. If these should get baled up and a cow eats the quills it is very bad news. Porcupines are my second favorite target after skunks. Porkies seem rather hard to put down. My first experience with one was at night. I was trying to hold back an enraged Golden Retriever with one hand and shoot a revolver with the other. After emptying a 32 S&W Long into him my wife passed me my S&W Kit Gun and I emptied it into him. It would have been a simple matter if I hadn't had to hold that stupid dog back. When I moved I gave the dog to my daughter. She gave him to her brother in law. I later heard that he decided to kill a cat and jumped from tha back of a pickup moving about 65 mph. I was told that he rfecieved almost 200 stitchs for that escapade,. I would have shot him instead of taking him to the Vet.
    For overall enjoyment though you just can't beat the Prairie dog villages that abound in this area. That is the main reason that I moved here when I retired. I won't even mention that we have perhaps the finest White Tail, Mulie, Antelope and Definetly the finest pheasant hunting in North America. I believe that the New England and Hettinger area of North Dakota has North Americas finest pheasant hunting. Every bit as good as South Dakota during the forties and fifties and better than SW Iowa during the seventies and eighties. Better shut my mouth before the locals lynch me. Neil

There's a whole lot of 2" X 2" sticky "diamonds" to be had in a roll of duct tape, not to mention all the different colors that are available now I've been sticking them on paper plates for decades. Works great for me.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Bub

porcupine targets

Quote Originally Posted by NoDakJak View Post
    I have been swathing hay this week and have run two porcupines through the swather. For those folk that don't know what a swather is, it cuts the hay and then runs it through a set of rollers that crimps it to promote more even drying before it is baled. Running these varmints thru a swather is very bad, particularily if you don't see them. I picked them up with a pitchform and deposited them along a fence line. If these should get baled up and a cow eats the quills it is very bad news. Porcupines are my second favorite target after skunks. Porkies seem rather hard to put down. My first experience with one was at night. I was trying to hold back an enraged Golden Retriever with one hand and shoot a revolver with the other. After emptying a 32 S&W Long into him my wife passed me my S&W Kit Gun and I emptied it into him. It would have been a simple matter if I hadn't had to hold that stupid dog back. When I moved I gave the dog to my daughter. She gave him to her brother in law. I later heard that he decided to kill a cat and jumped from tha back of a pickup moving about 65 mph. I was told that he rfecieved almost 200 stitchs for that escapade,. I would have shot him instead of taking him to the Vet.
    For overall enjoyment though you just can't beat the Prairie dog villages that abound in this area. That is the main reason that I moved here when I retired. I won't even mention that we have perhaps the finest White Tail, Mulie, Antelope and Definetly the finest pheasant hunting in North America. I believe that the New England and Hettinger area of North Dakota has North Americas finest pheasant hunting. Every bit as good as South Dakota during the forties and fifties and better than SW Iowa during the seventies and eighties. Better shut my mouth before the locals lynch me. Neil
    Porcupines and corn heads don't play well together. I always carried a shotgun with pheasant loads on the combine, that worked well on the critters.

Boolit Master
    If you belong to a club with a skeet or trap range pick up the misses and sort into solid ones for reuse as clay targets and cracked for pistol and rifle targets. Cracked ones can be readily detected by laying the clay bottom side up loosely in your hand and tapping the edge with a screwdriver. If it "clunks" there's a hairline crack in it somewhere. I have a good stash of paper targets of all kinds that others have left behind, some with very few or no holes in them. Sometimes they even leave pasters behind. Right now the "shoot n see" targets are popular. A lot of people seem to stick the target on a piece of paper, shoot holes in it, then throw the pasters in the trash with the backing.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Targetz.com Great place to print targets. They have them gridded off in 1 inch and 1/2 inch squares so gettin your scope right on the money is really easy..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Like you I use paper plates for cowboy revolvers but haven't seen 'em painted before. I use a lot of playing cards, 52-54 targets in a pack, each card is good for about 5 hits. Cards are pretty cheap.

Boolit Master
    http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx...ck_FAQ_Targets

For you guys that like printing out tons of targets

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Products...Marker(Sharpie Catalog) For you guys that like to draw your own
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master

I used to do a news letter and have 100's of old news letters with blank backs I staple them to cardboard and either use a marker to make a X or a dot or a sticker for aiming point. Major cost is just keeping them around for years to use them up! They are mostly 11.5 X 9 inches but I can put up more for larger area I also have some real estate signs that they can be stapled to.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I had no idea targets printed were such a big deal. I guess I'm fortunate to know someone with a print shop.

pretty ingenious solutions though.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 07-12-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast