Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: saeco #351 in 357/38 spl

saeco #351 in 357/38 spl

I'm looking for a heavy 35 cal bullet to shoot out of my 357's and 35 rem. Was wondering if saeco 351 seated to crimp groove in 357 case still be under max OAL to shoot out of gp100? After some recon, I went with rcbs 35-200-FNGC for 35 rem, but would like nice plain base bullet for lighter loads that would also work in 357/38spl.
    BTW this board is awesome, tone of info. Helped me get started with casting my own bullets.

Boolit Master

I also have the rcbs 200gr fn gc it is possibley the most accurate 35 cal cast bullet made .
    ive used it extensviley in a 357 mag single shot pistol , seated to the crimp grove it exceededs max length for use in a revolver. possibley even if you use 38 special cases.
    I also have several 180 gr bullet designes A SAECO # 354 gc / it is also avalible in plane base its the # 353 , i also have the SAECO #396- tc and a group buy 180 gr wfn gc all should work in a rervolver.
    another option is the rcbs 180 gr gc sil bullet but it has a gas ck , ive had great results useing several bullets designes without the gas checks installed up to 1,100 fps but every mould & gun is different
    if funds allow use the rcbs for the 35 rem and get another mould for the revolvers.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 07-01-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Noe copy of the 200 gr RCBS and when seated in 38sp brass it will work in my GP100. You have to use all of the crimp grove and crimp tight as it is almost flush with the end of the cylinder.
    I have not loaded any and tested yet but that will come.
    Dwight

Boolit Master
    Butter i am looking at a picture of the Saeco #351 and i would bet money that it will not fit the GP100 cylinder. It might work in a 38sp case but i would not bet on it.
    I feel safe in saying that out of the commerical molds avaliable you most likely will not find a 200 grainer that will work seated to the crimp grove.

Unfortunally BPR just closed their doors but Accurate Molds and my favorite LBT can cut you one that will fit. Some times there are group buys for 200 grainers but most of the time they are Keith type bullets with wide deep lube groves which make them so long that they eat up too much space in the case.

This is just me but if i were you and the funds were avaliable i would contact LBT and have Veral cut a FN 200 gr if that is the weight you want or 180gr PB mold and give him the Max COAL that your pistol will handle and that you want all the case capacity you can get.
    A 2 Cavity will cost you 125.00 plus 10.00 shipping but you will have what you want and at the same time get the easist to cast with mold i have ever used and a accurate bullet also.

Mp GP has .357 grove bore and the cylinders are right at .358. I tried .359 dia and things did not go well. The .358 shoots really good and i intend to try .3575 this weekend.

Hope this helps some.
    Dwight

Thanks for the help guys. My thoughts were the same on saeco 351, just figured I'll run it by someone on this board. I wish I could spend $135 on a custom mold right now. Girlfriend is begging me to go to Florida for a week, so the mold will have to wait till some time after that.
    Dwight how did you measure your ruger's bore? Mine is 5 grooves and I'm having a hard time getting accurate measurement. Also have problem with it leading right after the forcing cone if I push lee's 158 gr swc past 750fps. But if shot past 1200fps leading don’t start till about an inch after the forcing cone. In marlin they shoot a tad over 1100fps before I see lead in the bore. That’s with air cooled WW bullets. Haven’t tried water cooled to see if that might help.
    Last edited by ButterNutZ; 07-01-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    First i hope that you are using a Micrometer.If you are using calipers you could be off .001 easley and maybe more. But take the bullet and lightly adjust the mic. down and turn the bullet adjusting the mic.as you go.What you are trying to do is measure opposing cornors or edges of the groves finding the highest point..It really takes a light touch and a little pratice.To much preasure and the soft edges will flatten giving a false undersize reading.

I feel fairly sure that you will have a .357 grove dia and hopefully no restriction where the frame and barrel join. Mine came out spot on with no restriction. Knowing your grove dia is very useful information but with hand guns not a critical as throat dia.Take a slug that you have pushed thur. your barrel and see if it will fit in the chamber throats.If it will you have part of the battle won.Now slug the throats and size your bullet so that they will just slip through.

The above might also solve your leading problems if in fact it is leading.Some time what appears to be leading is nothing more than a little wash or residue which will push easely from the bore.

I doubt that going to wcww will help but you never know.
    What powder are you using and what kink of lube?

Hope this helps some.Maybe some of the other guys will chime in with more or better help.
    Dwight

Nope, not using a micrometer... had no idea caliper wouldn’t work, dang it. I'll check the throats and will size accordingly.
    Thanks for your help!!!!
    Edit, I'm using uniqe for powder and lee's alox.
    Last edited by ButterNutZ; 07-01-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Does anyone still cast the 180 grain Saeco #354 for .357 revolver?

Does anyone still cast the 180 grain Saeco #354 for revolver? I didn't see any recent posts. Have heavy bullets fallen out of favor?
    Also, any good sources for loading data for this bullet for revolver? A lot that I see is for .357 in a rifle.

Thanks,