RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester/Miroku 1886 Rebounding Hammer Fix Tutorial

if ... when you have the mainspring strut out clipping the offending spur off ... why not just use the cutoff wheel on the dremel to widen and deepen the half notch in the hammer to a safe notch that can NOT be overcome with a good hard trigger squeeze. then it is as safe as any lever in the world and like the many hundreds of thousands built before all this lawyer modified lever actions came into being fighting a litigious public.

impressed with that word huh ... just had the flu and not back in me right mind yet.

Boolit Master
    Good pictoral. Hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism.

You went to great detail on the tang screw, showing it goes all the way thru; picture included. I assume(!!!) this was for people that might not be real familiar with the Winchester. So, when you described or said, you might want to capture(?) the strut, why not say how? Some folks may not known what that little hole in the rear of the strut is for. Tell them to stick a pin in that hole.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

The picture shows a paper clip. That's all it takes.

Boolit Mold
    Anyone have a copy of the original 1892 hammer/trigger mods by SAA Jim? While the hammer strut cutting instructions are around the internet, another old form post (shooter.com) talks about modification to the two piece trigger/sear to fuse them into a single piece to get around the one lawyer added item and offer a less gritty trigger pull. The instructions are pretty vague and the thread participants are long gone. The same concept should apply to the 1886 and might still be around in another form. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    I used some of the info I got from an article on the Winchester/Miroku 1892 hammer and trigger mods by SAAJim (that also works for the modern Miroku '86's http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jimstags/win1892/index.htm and from other members on the www.leverguns.com board about modifying the rebounding hammer on the Winchester/Miroku 1886's. Also from the thread on Winchester/Miroku 1886 misfires http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic...55&whichpage=1 I have been getting misfires from light primer strikes and it was time to castrate the rebounding hammer and fix the terrible trigger pull. This fix does wonders for the action and makes it run much smoother. It is always easier for me to see pictures or watch something being done than just reading about it. This is why I have done this tutorial. Hopefully this will help some of you Miroku 86 owners out.

OK, hate to resurrect this thread again. But I do have a question.
    Once the rebounding hammer is fixed in the 1892, will the safety on the tang still work as designed too? Will you have to pull the hammer back just a tad to engage it or will it be like it was from the factory as far as the safety is concerned ?

Thanks, I want to remove the rebounding hammer but still like the safety since there will be no half cock. Don't want to spend the money on the Browning hammer and trigger.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

OK, answered my own question. I took my 1892 apart and removed the leg for the rebounding hammer (thanks for the write up) works great. But tang safety does still work, just works a little different. If the hammer is down on the firing pin and you place the safety on. It does go on safe but the hammer remains against the firing pin and can not be cocked. If on the half cock or full cock and the safety is placed in the safe position it will allow the hammer to fall but the hammer does not contact the firing pin. If you put the hammer in half cock with the safety left in the fire position and the trigger is pulled the rifle will fire from the half cock position.

I really like the rebound hammer done away with and that the safety still works. Just have to make sure that it is at least on half cock when it is placed in safe for the rifle to be safe and not able to fire.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    OK, answered my own question. I took my 1892 apart and removed the leg for the rebounding hammer (thanks for the write up) works great. But tang safety does still work, just works a little different. If the hammer is down on the firing pin and you place the safety on. It does go on safe but the hammer remains against the firing pin and can not be cocked. If on the half cock or full cock and the safety is placed in the safe position it will allow the hammer to fall but the hammer does not contact the firing pin. If you put the hammer in half cock with the safety left in the fire position and the trigger is pulled the rifle will fire from the half cock position.

I really like the rebound hammer done away with and that the safety still works. Just have to make sure that it is at least on half cock when it is placed in safe for the rifle to be safe and not able to fire.
    FWIW
    I have a Browning (Miruko) Model 71 from the original run they made late 1980's (?) They are different than what was shown in this thread - coil spring yes, rebound hammer strut no, half cock notch yes, --- the rebound feature was built into the bolt with a three piece firing pin and some other bits - mine suffered light strike = failure to fire and was altered.
    (just in case someone thinks - like I did - that this excellent tutorial applies to the 71 clone - it dont - to mine anyway)

indian joe,
    Thanks for the comment. So it maybe just the Winchester Miroku models this works on.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    indian joe,
    Thanks for the comment. So it maybe just the Winchester Miroku models this works on.
    You are probably right I think
    Miroku/Browning made a run of 1886's before the model 71 (that would be in the mid 1980's) - I have not seen the innards of one of those 1886's but its likely they are not the same as the new ones (Winchester branded) .
    I just bought a Chiappa 1886 and they are a copy of the original Winchester internally.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    You are probably right I think
    Miroku/Browning made a run of 1886's before the model 71 (that would be in the mid 1980's) - I have not seen the innards of one of those 1886's but its likely they are not the same as the new ones (Winchester branded) .
    I just bought a Chiappa 1886 and they are a copy of the original Winchester internally.

I have a Browning 1886 rifle and a saddle ring carbine. Never had any issues so I never took them apart. I have no idea how close to original they are. I picked up the saddle ring cheap due to some deep stock scratches. Just picked up a blank that I plan on using to replace them. When I do I will do a complete teardown. Hopefully this summer.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Simple fix:
    Sell it
    Buy a Browning

No way, The only problem I had with it was the rebounding hammer. It really was not a problem as of yet. Just wanted to head it off before it ever did cause a problem. One thing I will say is that the Browning and Winchesters are made better than the post 1964 Winchesters were.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    So I just finished doing the rebound delete, Not impressed.
    Does not really act any different, other than not bouncing back.
    Also took a coil out of the main spring, polished the sear and hammer, trigger is still #5.25
    So basically I gain nothing.
    There is two hours of my life I wish I wish I had back
    Failure is not an Option

Hylander,
    Sorry to hear that. Mine felt better to me but I really don't have anything to measure it with. I just wanted the rebounding hammer deleted to prevent light strikes, Which I had not had a problem with before I did the delete, just a preventive measure.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    Hylander,
    Sorry to hear that. Mine felt better to me but I really don't have anything to measure it with. I just wanted the rebounding hammer deleted to prevent light strikes, Which I had not had a problem with before I did the delete, just a preventive measure.
    Yep, I had no issues with it the way it was.
    I was just hoping the trigger pull would lighten up, however the delete made no difference at all.
    Also polished the hammer engagement, but that did nothing as well
    I did notice that the trigger return spring is very heavy though, however I have not found any fix for that yet.
    There are no replacement springs for this rifle that I can find.
    I doubt it but wonder if Browning would send me a factory replacement trigger spring and hammer strut, then I would try to modify.
    the originals
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

Hylander
    Did you check the tension on the trigger spring ? If you have a strong trigger spring cutting just the hammer spring coil will not help you much.

Hold the hammer back with your thumb and measure the trigger spring pull all by itself. Should be about 3 pounds all by itself if you are looking for a 3.5 # pull.
    We have at least 5 original 1892's and they all had at least a 5# trigger. Those are easily adjusted just by cleaning and loosening the screw that holds the trigger spring in contact with the trigger.

Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Hylander
    Did you check the tension on the trigger spring ? If you have a strong trigger spring cutting just the hammer spring coil will not help you much.

Hold the hammer back with your thumb and measure the trigger spring pull all by itself. Should be about 3 pounds all by itself if you are looking for a 3.5 # pull.
    We have at least 5 original 1892's and they all had at least a 5# trigger. Those are easily adjusted just by cleaning and loosening the screw that holds the trigger spring in contact with the trigger.

Mike in Peru
    Yes, trigger spring measures #3.
    However on the Miroku 92's the trigger spring is also the strut support that holds the hammer strut.
    No way to adjust aside from heat and bend the end that contacts the trigger.
    I did just the hammer strut, spring and strut support.
    I will try to modify the new strut support.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a pawn shop rescue 94 AE that is coming along nicely but suffers from occasional light strikes. Already disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the action. Overall the rifle doesn't look like it has been fired much. Anybody tried shortening the lower legs of the hammer strut on the 94? It is slightly different than the others as it has two rebound legs on the strut side by side.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    My 1886 has some slack in the bolt, I think the grooves in the receiver are worn. I was thinking of shimming it with some thin brass stock. Any thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    I know I saw this a few months ago when I got my Miroku 1886 and the pictures were clear. Now they are blurry with a photo bucket watermark over them. What does a fellow have to do to see them clearly again. I'd like to do this conversion but would like to have the pictures for a reference. I tried turning off my ad blocker but that didn't help. Any thoughts guys. Thanks.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast