RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (old) RCBS Rockchucker

Boolit Master

New (old) RCBS Rockchucker

I just recieved my first single stage press in the mail today. I gather it is more than 20 years old as the it had the original handle, not the ball one they pur ot today. That said, I have only ever had my Dillon 550B as a press so this single stage is all new to me. With my Dillon, I just buy conversion kits for each caliber, what do I need to buy for this press??

That said, I will using this press for my rifle brass prep, as in resizing depriming. After this I will TL the brass and finish loading the brass in my Dillon. Can I use my Dillon Resizing die in this RCBS? What do I use for a "conversion plate" on the base. I will be using this single stage for 223, 308, 30-06, and 30-30. At least for now... Is there anything I should know about using this press? If I can't use my Dillon dies, what should I purchase, as I have no idea what is a good set of dies out there for rifle. I have seen the two die and three die sets, but don't know which ones I should get. Is there any way to buy just the sizing dpriming die?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but these dies and presses are all very new to me. Thanks in advance!!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

The Rockchucker is a heavy duty compound press. It has an adapter bushing made from 1 1/2" hex bar screwed into the top. The press itself is threaded to accept 1 1/4-12 threaded dies, which allow "oversize" dies such as those used for .50 BMG to be used. The adapter bushing has 7/8-14 internal threads that permit standard dies to be used. Most people never remove the bushing. If this bushing is missing contact RCBS for a replacement. (Note: I make special extender bushings for the Rockchucker for special purposes but RCBS is cheaper for standard replacement bushings. You don't need what I sell for what you plan to do.)

I don't know if Dillon dies will fit, but if they have a standard 7/8-14 external thread on the die body they should work fine.

All my dies are RCBS and Lee and both work fine, although there are slight differences in what each die does at each step.

You can buy single dies such as sizer/decappers, check Midway or other vendors. I have purchased single dies, such as a 9mm carbide sizing die to replace the steel sizing die that came with my RCBS 9mm three die set, and also a roll crimp die to add to my .45 ACP die set to roll crimp .45 AR brass, from Midway.

Boolit Master
    I sold my last Dillon a while back but if memory serves me right the Dillon dies are to short to work in the RockChucker. By the time you screw the die into the press you have no room for a lock ring / nut on the die which you would or they will never stay adjusted.

Boolit Master
    You will also need shell holders for the diffrent size cases you intend to load for.They can be bought as a set or singles from Midway and other places. They are what you are refering to as conversion plate and they slip into the top of the ram.
    If bought single the same one can be used for the 308 and 30-06 Shell holder no. Lee #2
    The 223 is #4 and the 30-30 is #3 if you order seperate.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Master

This is a HUGE help. I guess I will be looking for some new dies.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I think RCBS sells extended shellholders. Never used them but they might let you use your Dillon dies in your 'chucker. The calibers you load for are pretty common. Just sharing a thought...

Boolit Master

Ill look into that. It sure would would save me having to buy all new dies. I have to buy the shell holders any how.

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

My BIL has a 'chucker, I have an old RCBS Jr. The toggle link on the 'chucker makes full length resizing of rifle brass real easy. For pistol stuff I find my Jr works fine and takes less work as the overall mechanism is a little lighter.

I think for what you plan to use it for you will like it once you use it. For sure you'll never break it! It's like an anvil with moving parts.

Boolit Master

I might try flea bay for shell holders. RCBS gets a pretty good buck for them. I've bought a few there, used. If the Dillon dies are too short, just get some RCBS or Redding dies. Then again, the extended shell holders could be considerably cheaper if you can still use the Dillon dies. You'll enjoy the RC. I do keep mine lubricated. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Good purchase. The Rockchucker is the single stage that others are judged by.

If you un-screw that top bushing they might be a two digit number stamped under it. If so, that's the year it was made. If not then it's too new for the stamping.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned
    The Rockchucker came out in 1967 and should have the year stamped on the top, most likely covered by the bushing. You will need an 1-1/2 " wrench to remove it.
    RCBS started stamping years in 1966.

Ken

Boolit Master

Not to hijack this thread but I want to ask a question. I know the standard RCBS bushing has a rather thin flange on the top, less than 1/4" thick. Do you suppose a bushing with a slightly thicker flange that was cross drilled for a 10-24 set screw to lock the die in place would allow the use of Dillon or other short dies? Wouldn't need a lock ring that way. Anybody see a use for something like this?

Banned
    I suppose it would work. Some early presses used a set screw to lock the bushing in place.
    I am not certain how many would want to use Dillon dies in a RC. That is going to be your call.
    I know there is something else but my tired brain just ran dry. Bed time.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Rock Chucker has taken all dies I ever fed it but I don't own any Dillon.

There was banter a decade ago about Lee dies being too short for some presses but I have
    not had a issue with them whatsoever.

On my Dillon 450, and 650, all dies work on it for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Rock Chucker has taken all dies I ever fed it but I don't own any Dillon.

There was banter a decade ago about Lee dies being too short for some presses but I have
    not had a issue with them whatsoever.

On my Dillon 450, and 650, all dies work on it for me.
    I used a set of 223 dies from lee I had lying around and processed some brass. Worked quite well. Will look into the shell holder today. I'll check the date on the top as well. It has definitely got some years on it. What do you keep these oiled with. I use motor oil on my Dillon.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but I want to ask a question. I know the standard RCBS bushing has a rather thin flange on the top, less than 1/4" thick. Do you suppose a bushing with a slightly thicker flange that was cross drilled for a 10-24 set screw to lock the die in place would allow the use of Dillon or other short dies? Wouldn't need a lock ring that way. Anybody see a use for something like this?
    I thought about doing the same thing to Dillon 550 toolheads where I ran out of threads on the die.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

A lee shellholder kit may be a less expensive alternative.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee dies come with shellholders and are pretty affordable, too boot.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    Dillon dies, other than Square Deal dies, are the same as any standard reloading dies, they are not any different than RCBS, Hornady,C H, Lyman, etc. other than the threaded portion is usually longer on Dillon.
    They will work any where the others will.
    I have 3 Rockchuckers and use all the brands with out any problems, along with any brand shell holder (except Dillon).
    I also have 4 Dillon presses (1 Square Deal) and use dies from all the other brands on them also, all mixed together.

Boolit Master

You can use the Dillon dies. You can install the lockring on the underside if there aren't enough threads on the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast