MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your nice rides

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    bought mine new and between racing at the track and racing on the street it was about done for at 50000 miles. Straw that broke the camels back was when this young sailor had a few (lot) to many and was doing some drifting in a culdysack (spelling) and slamed into a curb about staight on and bent the frame. I made two attemps to straighten it and then just traded it in on a new short box stepside 75 chev that soon afterward had a 427 that i had for a few years shoehorned into it. Mine was a 4sp blue with a white stripe and a black bucket seat int. I used to laugh about that duster. I think in the 50k i owned it i put more clutches in it then all the other cars ive owned combined. Even had to rebuild the tranny at 30k. Way to much power shifting.

No Lloyd, I have the record for clutches and rear ends.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    If memory is correct I believe that the good running 340's usually did the 1/4 mi in the low 14's at around 90 mph. Nothing special by todays standards but back then the average muscle car like a GTO came off the factory floor and ran the same time. I remember the first time I came across one on the street as I had heard so much hype about how fast they were but it was no match for my warmed over 67 Fairlane 390 4 speed.
    The main thing is you like what you have and when it starts to get slow you can always shoe horn in a 440.
    True about the old muscle cars compared to today's standards 6bg6ga. Heck with the tires of the day very few even dipped into the 13's. But we sure looked good doing it! LOL

Be well

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    bought mine new and between racing at the track and racing on the street it was about done for at 50000 miles. Straw that broke the camels back was when this young sailor had a few (lot) to many and was doing some drifting in a culdysack (spelling) and slamed into a curb about staight on and bent the frame. I made two attemps to straighten it and then just traded it in on a new short box stepside 75 chev that soon afterward had a 427 that i had for a few years shoehorned into it. Mine was a 4sp blue with a white stripe and a black bucket seat int. I used to laugh about that duster. I think in the 50k i owned it i put more clutches in it then all the other cars ive owned combined. Even had to rebuild the tranny at 30k. Way to much power shifting.
    Ouch! And that was before "Drifting" was...well..."Drifting".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    If memory is correct I believe that the good running 340's usually did the 1/4 mi in the low 14's at around 90 mph. Nothing special by todays standards but back then the average muscle car like a GTO came off the factory floor and ran the same time. I remember the first time I came across one on the street as I had heard so much hype about how fast they were but it was no match for my warmed over 67 Fairlane 390 4 speed.
    The main thing is you like what you have and when it starts to get slow you can always shoe horn in a 440.
    A well tuned 340 duster (with the right gears) would turn a low 14 stock. Mine had a set of headers a 650 holley and an single plane manifold and on a cool night would run low 13s with cheaters. Best time ever was a 13.1 but i never repeated it. I kept that times slip for many years Decent but nothing to write home about but back then a 13 second car would kick but on 90 percent of the muscle cars roamin the streat. Most of the muscle cars we loved would get there @@@ handed to them by a v6 camero or mustang today. Then you look at the cameros, mustangs, challengers and vettes you can buy right from the showroom today that turn high 11s to low 12s on streat tires. Alot of the problmes back then was tires. Just look at the skinny bais ply tires that came on some of those cars. they couldnt hook up 200hp let alone 400. Watched a guy one night at the suffolk raceway driving a ls6 chevelle on streat tires. the guy wasnt an amature. He turned a 13.3 on streat tires. I dont recall what they were buy probably a 60 series of some sort. He bolted on a pair of slicks and ran 12.1. Even my 340 wouldnt hook up those bias ply 70s that came on it. It would blow them off in first and second.

Point of all of this is you hear all the time which was the quickest muscle car on the road back then. Usually answers are the ls6, hemi cudas, 440 sixpacks. gs455s ect but truth be told on the streat is a well tuned ands set up small block would run with any of them. In the case of the novas and dusters they were about a 1000 lbs lighter and one well tuned that would hook up would show tailights to alot of big block cars. Just hooking up a big block on the streat required a very rare talented driver. Probably the quickest real world streat car i ever actually ran against was a 365 hp 67 nova. I never saw him loose a streat race and his car was bone stock other then tires. But id bet a dime to a dollar that a new ss camero would dust him and a zl1 would absolutely anialate him.

Banned

my jeep and pickup. The jeeps a real powerhouse. that 4 cyl will set you back in the seat. At least as long as your climbing as steap grade or you get slamed in the back by a semi driver that gets impaitent with you on a grade 1/4 mile trap speed of about 70 cause thats as fast as it will go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg   006.jpg  
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-29-2014 at 05:44 PM.

A few months ago me and the wife decided it was time to buy a pickup. Found this older beauty! Love it!!

Boolit Master

My ride is a rusty, dented 1986 Mitsu Mighty Max.. It has a 'hemi', a 2.6. It was running when I got it, on 2 cylinders, but wouldn't move. I rebuilt the engine with the help of an old hot rodder, and the old thing moves right along. It's black, actually too small for my 6' frame, but has served me loyally. It is an honest truck, rated at 1500lb payload, and I only put about 1000 miles per year on it. I have a very comfortable '87 LeBaron for daily use. And it runs really well, also. mikey

Boolit Master
    Snagged this a couple of days ago. Mercedes SL500, 1998. Get this -- only 47K miles. All the do-dads work. The hardtop comes off and a soft top grows out of a compartment behind the seats. It still has a usable trunk behind the soft top compartment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email_1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	107772
    ph4570

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Snagged this a couple of days ago. Mercedes SL500, 1998. Get this -- only 47K miles. All the do-dads work. The hardtop comes off and a soft top grows out of a compartment behind the seats. It still has a usable trunk behind the soft top compartment.

Name:	email_1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	107772
    Nice, I have always liked the SLs, & have almost bought some, but the cost of parts always stopped me.

Get one of those come-along lifts for the hard top. Had one for my 57 Tbird hard top & it was still a pain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Nice, I have always liked the SLs, & have almost bought some, but the cost of parts always stopped me.

Get one of those come-along lifts for the hard top. Had one for my 57 Tbird hard top & it was still a pain.
    The 57 bird is a nice ride. My best friend's mother had one and it was pristine. Top on the SL is not heavy. Very easy for my wife and I to manage. Just need to be careful putting it back on to make sure the mounting hooks are aligned in the holes before lowering -- that's the kid's job. That said -- I do intend to make a lift for the garage to make it much easier.

Part prices are not bad at all. I ordered all coolant hoses, serpentine belt, engine air filters (2 required), 2 oil filters and the cabin air filter and the total was just over $100 from autohausaz. "Free" delivery for orders over $75. All parts were same as OEM.
    ph4570

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    The 57 bird is a nice ride. My best friend's mother had one and it was pristine. Top on the SL is not heavy. Very easy for my wife and I to manage. Just need to be careful putting it back on to make sure the mounting hooks are aligned in the holes before lowering -- that's the kid's job. That said -- I do intend to make a lift for the garage to make it much easier.

Part prices are not bad at all. I ordered all coolant hoses, serpentine belt, engine air filters (2 required), 2 oil filters and the cabin air filter and the total was just over $100 from autohausaz. "Free" delivery for orders over $75. All parts were same as OEM.
    If I can ever get my pics to load, I'll post some of my cars.

Back in the 70s or 80s, I was looking at a 280(?) & the radiator, it needed, was $800, tranys 3 or 4K, in "old" dollars. At least with my Vettes & Mustang, parts are easy & relatively "not expensive".

I do have a 69 Datsun 2000 Roadster & parts are expensive. Only a few of them made & fewer left.

I do get wood for a sharp 380 or 450 & I like the SLKs with hardtop convertible.

My wife likes Jag XJs & when I told her you can't rebuild the engines & a new one was 15k, she changed her mind.

Havn't told her about the Chevy kit to put a small block 350 in them. lol

Those 500s & the new (600?) are nice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Attachment 99688

I've spent over an hour trying to get the pictures to load. This isn't the one I wanted. I can't duplicate how I got it to load either.

Trying to get one to show the Mustang, one of my Vettes, a Datsun roadster, & 57 Tbird.

Let one of the youngsters figure it out.
    Well I posted them on post 290 but don't know if this will work. Still need to figure out how to download pics of my Collecters edition Vette.

Lets see if these pics show.

NOPE another couple hours wasted. If you want to see pics, look at #290

Banned

Some of my rides - trying again

Name:	IMG_4025.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	108173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	108174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thunderbird 031.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	108175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thunderbird 002.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	108176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4242.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	108177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4536 (3).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	108178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_4542 (4).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	108179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4565.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	108180

Finally got it. I also like to ride the pool with my fireteam. Tygar diving to me. The beach bunnies after riding the water rides.

You can see the Datsun roadster in the background of a couple pics. I'll get my other Vette somehow.
    Last edited by tygar; 06-18-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: what a pain loading these pics

Boolit Master
    That '57 bird is the bee's knees.
    ph4570

Boolit Mold
    That T-Bird it HOT!

We sold the hot rod 57 Chevy pickup that I'd posted earlier...just too much to maintain for an old duffer...but had to "fill the hole in the garage" so got us a "go get ice cream" car....nice modified Cutlass...not too quick but not too tame...just right...hope the link below works now...the "attachement" is dead and I can't delete it...

.Attachment 108732
    Last edited by opos; 06-25-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    We sold the hot rod 57 Chevy pickup that I'd posted earlier...just too much to maintain for an old duffer...but had to "fill the hole in the garage" so got us a "go get ice cream" car....nice modified Cutlass...not too quick but not too tame...just right.Attachment 108732
    Link does work for me.

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^^^^^ do you mean --- Does not ??

Link doesn't work for me, either.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

added a Jpeg link....the "attachment" is dead and I can't remove it...hope the link works
    Last edited by opos; 06-25-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast