Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: truck bed cover

Boolit Master

truck bed cover

I recently bought a Ford 150 PU. I don't want a cap over the bed, so I'm looking at the tonneau covers. There's different types - folding hard sections, soft rolling covers, retractable. I don't want to pay top dollar but I want one that will last (and made in the US).
    Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    If it's occasionally used, roll up. Used frequently, sectional. Constantly (ie basically a short SUV) hard cover.
    Your order doesn't seem tall - but it is. It's almost like asking for steak and crab legs - locally grown and wild caught, but on a budget.
    There are a vast number of covers available for an F-150 (what year?) but you get what you pay for. Starting at about a grand. I am currently on my 17th (18th??) F-150 and always buy a bed cover prior to selling them private treaty because I tend to destroy the bed in the 80ish thousand miles I put on them prior to upgrading. It seems like the sectional ones are more desirable for my last half dozen buyers. They have cost between $900 and $1200. Diamondback and Weathertek is what I have been using.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

truck bed cover

Hard roll up.

I like my rev industries one. Forget how much it was. But I believe it’s a USA company.

I use it multiple times a day for a few years now. If it broke I would buy it again. Ive even taken a nap on it. Probably not its intended use but it’s strong enough. Probably wouldn’t try standing on it tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by johnsonian09; 05-13-2024 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    It's a 2020 truck. The last Ford truck I had was a 1976 F100 step side (shoulda hung on to that one). Basically, I want to keep camping equipment dry.

Boolit Grand Master

I purchased this one last year. https://www.leer.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=HF650M

I love it and for my needs it's the best I could find. I wanted lockable and waterproof.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-13-2024 at 10:36 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    You know - I had forgotten this in my first post. Go to a topper dealer or dealership with a trade in policy and ask. I got one for a ranch truck that way probably 15 years ago for $50.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Roll up soft cover, then that way if you have a toolbox in the bed you can get to it! I’m on my second one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a roll up soft cover. Starting to show its age, but 19 years in the Colorado sun will do that.

I made mine from plywood, in three sections, covered it in astroturf. I had to make ribs for the underside after grandson played on it.

If I had a full sized pickup id still want a lockable hard cover with the ability to move half of it out of the way. I built a diamondplate cover for my halfcab Tj’s bed. There is an aluminum box [as wide as the wheel wells and as deep] under the tonneau. When I close the tailgate I can use its lock to lock the bed up. Theres a piece of angle iron that overlaps the plate. Never understood convertibles, soft tops or soft tonneaus. Part of a vehicle’s requirement is to protect whatever you have in it. Why make it even easier for the thugs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0662.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	326560
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 05-13-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Factory hard cover from Ram factory. Locks, and stand on it if necessary. Called an Undercover? Good luck however you go.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Diamondback. I doubt there is a more secure cover on the market today. Installed one on my previous truck and was the first thing I did to my new truck
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master
    I'll probably only need the cover for camping, so a soft roll-up makes sense. But I'll probably change my mind.
    I've had two PUs - the '76 F100 and a 1998 Chevy S10. This is the biggest truck we've had. Now I see the appeal - they're great, with lots of potential (towing, carrying stuff, and just being cool to drive). My wife loves driving it.

I'm on my second folding hard cover from this company:

https://theaamgroup.com/manufacturers/view/extang

When it's time for the next truck will probably go back for #3.

98% waterproof.

With a locking tailgate, it makes it reasonably secure. I feel safe(r) stopping at a restaurant or store with firearms in the box.

And they are made in the US.

Boolit Master
    In 2001 I found the last aluminum Tacoma shell in all NH
    cost $100 a lot of money to a thrifty yankee.

I needed something to keep the snow out of the bed.
    And I have slept in the thing on an air mattress, thrifty camper.
    Beats sleeping in a tent in the rain.
    Still have it, was rugged enough to carry a viking war canoe on top
    canoe was longer than the Tacoma by seven feet, looked silly but it worked.
    They don't make cheap tops anymore...

need a replacement for the canvas on my 2 decade old Truxedo roll up + price is big consideration for this senior citizen - all advice welcome - thanks in advance -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I have a hard cover on my 2003 Ford Super Crew. It is nice and keeps the weather out. Fairly secure, even though I believe you could pop it open with a long screwdriver. Biggest downside is if you want to get something big or something like bulk mulch, you have to take the cover off. Not all that easy.

I have known people who have had the sectional hardcovers that basically fit within the frame of the bed and they can let moisture in in heavy rains. It is not a lot, but it does let some in.

Hope this helps.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I installed a Bak-Flip on my wife's long bed Colorado pickup. IIRC, they are made in Springfield, Mo. She loves it. She uses her pickup for transporting four kayaks, at a time. Flip-up panels also protect the rear window. Lock the tailgate and the top is pretty secure from theft.

http://www.baktonneau.com/

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a soft top from Truxedo? anyway it rolls up and has cross bars to support it
    my second one on my 150's
    love them
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I got one from AM-Autoparts through eBay 14 months ago. It's a tri-fold cover with an aluminum frame and it unlatches from inside the bed. If your tailgate is locked it provides at least some security. It does allow a little water in during heavy rains; more seepage than deluge. I normally transport large RC airplanes and carry them on a rolling platform so they're well away from any water that gets in. So far I've been very happy with it and at around $400 I thought it was reasonably priced for what I got. I have the 6-1/2' narrow bed so my choices were limited but this company had one that fit well. I did have to modify the hold down blocks on one end but that was specific to the medium length narrow bed. I ended up drilling the inside of the bed and bolting the latch blocks in instead of being able to utilize the clamp type installation. It was well packed and all of the vinyl surfaces were turned to the inside so even though the box was damaged in shipping it the vinyl was undamaged.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkr...%20ford%20f150
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris