Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tent stove

Boolit Master

tent stove

We've been camping with our Teton Sierra canvas tent in the White Mts of NH. Great tent. 16' diameter, 9' center height. Sets up in a half hour (weighs 80 lbs). Waterproof, windproof, easy to heat with a Buddy propane heater (it's been in the low 40s, high 30s some nights).
    We're thinking about a tent woodstove for colder weather. Easy enough to add a stove jack to vent it.
    These stoves weigh between 15 and 25 lbs. But, which one? I want one made in the US.
    Any suggestions?
    I've been heating my house with wood since 1984 so we know woodstoves.

One night, car alarms were going off around the Dolly Copp Campground. Either bad guys or bears - it was a bear.
    Made me rethink my .38 handgun. It's now .357 or .45.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For something convenient, I like these.

https://www.rileystovecompany.com/

I don't know if they are still available, but they used to have gravity feed pellet stoves. I used one for years, until old age chased me out of tent camping.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

For several years I've noticed that Sportsman's Guide sells a line of outdoor woodstoves for tents. They appear to be made of sheet steel. I have no experience with them, so no recommendations other than that you might check them out.

When in the Army in the '60s I encountered a sort-of universal stove they had for tents and awful concrete block barracks at Grafenwhor that would burn wood, coal, or oil. Later I saw some being sold as surplus and they were pricy for the times at about $200 each. I don't know if any of them are still around.

One of my few neighbors was using firewood when I moved here about 6 years ago. The very next year he bought a large pellet stove, which served him well for 2 years. It had an electric fan, as most do, to force the warm air out into the room and an electric auger to feed the pellets into the firebox. The electricity went out for a couple of days and he got pretty chilly, so he bought a "Big Buddy" propane heater and was feeding it with the 7 gal. propane tanks.

Of course, the electricity came back on, but the next winter the pellet stove's motor burned out and there was about a 3 month wait for a replacement from.....yeah,-- China. So Big Buddy went back into action for 3 or 4 months, and he said he was getting about 5 days per 7 gal. tank, but the house was warm enough. His wife headed out for warmer climes, to return in June.

Now he's got one of the gravity feed pellet stoves, and uses a portable fan set behind it to push the warm air. I have yet to see it. This coming winter will be the test.

I'll stick with the firewood as long as I'm able. I've been around it most of my life, and think the heat from a wood fire is hard to beat. The only persistent problem I have with it is that the stove pipe from the stove out through the wall into the outside chimney plugs up about every 2 1/2 - 3 months. This involves digging a path through the snow to the outside chimney, taking out a plug, and running an electric drill with a flexible rod that has an end on it resembling a weed whacker to clear the soot out of the pipe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006128.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	317564

I've got about one month to 6 weeks to get this split, stacked, and tarped before serious winter gets here.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007403.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	317563

There's a similar pile waiting behind the house!

Name:	IM007431.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	317565

DG

Don’t be afraid of the collapsible galvanized tent stoves they work very well easy to setup and put out enough BTU’s to run you out. Put about 1” of sand or dirt on the bottom before starting a fire , I’ve had mine more than 20 years and I don’t leave home without it.

Boolit Master
    The Riley stoves look pretty good as far as price, size and construction. I'll have to check them out further. There's quite a few on Amazon but they all seem to be made in China. The collapsible stoves might be a good option, due to the limited space we have in the car.
    I've checked out pellet stoves for my house, but I'll also stick to the wood for as long as I'm able.

We have 2 of these, the medium in a 12x14 tent and the larger one in a 14x16 sleeping text. Both outfitter tents. We use them in the late fall for elk hunting and they will keep the tents comfortable.

We've been using them for 10 days each year since 2005 and they are still in good shape.

https://www.davistent.com/product/wo...ng-camp-stove/
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Some company up north, maybe Minnesota? Makes a small titanium wood stove. I bought one and used it many times. Works fantastic. Would highly recommend it if you can find out the maker.
    Very light, rust proof, and virtually impossible to burn through it.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy

You might also look at cylinderstoves.com
    I have a 16X20 canvas wall tent. We used it last year on a late season elk hunt in Utah.
    Stayed plenty warm and didn't go through a whole bunch of wood.
    With the right adapter I believe you can also burn lump coal.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

I will highly recommend the Riley Stoves too.

Moderator Emeritus

Back in the early 70's my family ran a trap line for 4 weeks that was just outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area(think it is inside the park now...). We camped in a double wall wall tent with pine boughs stuffed between the walls and under the floor. Used a small cast iron wood stove that kept it toasty even at -40f! Had a vestibule where all outdoor gear was hung to dry overnight(and not pick up moisture form 7 people breathing!). I had a back corner that I piled more pine against then buried in snow to the roof line. My brothers and sisters didn't want it, to cold in a corner... it was the warmest spot in the tent with all the extra trapped air acting as insulation!

If you can do a double wall tent winter camping it is a LOT warmer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    We've been camping with our Teton Sierra canvas tent in the White Mts of NH. Great tent. 16' diameter, 9' center height. Sets up in a half hour (weighs 80 lbs). Waterproof, windproof, easy to heat with a Buddy propane heater (it's been in the low 40s, high 30s some nights).
    We're thinking about a tent woodstove for colder weather. Easy enough to add a stove jack to vent it.
    These stoves weigh between 15 and 25 lbs. But, which one? I want one made in the US.
    Any suggestions?
    I've been heating my house with wood since 1984 so we know woodstoves.

One night, car alarms were going off around the Dolly Copp Campground. Either bad guys or bears - it was a bear.
    Made me rethink my .38 handgun. It's now .357 or .45.
    There is a tent and anuning maker in alaska that sells an insulated tent used by trappers, home steader's, emergency shelters, idaroud race, they clame it can be heated with a votive candle ? If I were looking for a new heater or tent I would be looking at the alaskin insulated tent ?? JIMHO

Boolit Master

My brother has roughly the same size tent and he bought a stove from some company in Idaho. Can't remember the name, but it worked great on our elk hunt down to 12 degrees.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sounds like a job for an old fashioned "Sibley Stove" ' but I doubt anyone makes them now?

Boolit Buddy
    Propane stoves need to be vented, father and daughter died of CO in a tent heated by a not so "Buddy Heater" a couple of years ago.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master

I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Another vote for Davis Tent Co. out of Denver Co. my 12x14 tent with a med stove stays as warm as my home here in Texas, very easy to use I think my stove is a 04 model still like new, I did paint it with hi temp paint when I first used it. it also has a water heater on the side great time saver in the morning before leaving on the hunt.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Viam supervadet vadens.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Back in the early 70's my family ran a trap line for 4 weeks that was just outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area(think it is inside the park now...). We camped in a double wall wall tent with pine boughs stuffed between the walls and under the floor. Used a small cast iron wood stove that kept it toasty even at -40f! Had a vestibule where all outdoor gear was hung to dry overnight(and not pick up moisture form 7 people breathing!). I had a back corner that I piled more pine against then buried in snow to the roof line. My brothers and sisters didn't want it, to cold in a corner... it was the warmest spot in the tent with all the extra trapped air acting as insulation!

If you can do a double wall tent winter camping it is a LOT warmer!
    That sounds like a piece of heaven. Going to our northwoods but debating on whether to primitive camp or just motel it for the 8 days of our season. I'd choose camp every time, but anywhere you go in our hunting grounds, a road is within a few miles in any direction. Tough to actually camp far enough away from either our grounds, or someone else's.
    -Paul

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    That sounds like a piece of heaven. Going to our northwoods but debating on whether to primitive camp or just motel it for the 8 days of our season. I'd choose camp every time, but anywhere you go in our hunting grounds, a road is within a few miles in any direction. Tough to actually camp far enough away from either our grounds, or someone else's.
    It was how Christmas happened. Money from furs was used to buy presets and food. Dad was usually laid off end of Nov thru Feb from his job as an electrician(until his boss decided to start doing remodels...new house construction tended to stop). We were pulled out of class for 4 weeks but took classwork with and had to turn it all in when School started again in January. I usually went thru it before we even left so had 4 weeks of trapping, hunting, ice fishing and having fun despite the cold!

Boolit Master

My brother's set up...

Name:	v2_Qn975SkmSEDzyBsjyfg.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	318199

Name:	ugLBxAbhR3GbhOgVn1_S5Q.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	318200
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast