Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Wow! big disparity between published H-110 loads

Boolit Master

Wow! big disparity between published H-110 loads

Wow! big disparity between mauals on H110 44 mag loads
    Lookin to load some hunting loads for the 44 mag, but looking to keep the 240 grain jacketed bullets (Hornady) to about 1300 or 1350 fps. (in deference to the arthritis in my 60 year old hands)

Pulled out an old box of Hornady 240 grain jacketed hollow point bullets, went to several manuals and looked for loads in that range. Looking at starting loads for H-110 as I have a quantity of it.

First went to Lyman 49th and found loads for H-110 as follows:
    23.5 grains H-110 at 1,196 fps (starting) and 24.5 grains H-110 at 1,233 fps (max)

O.K. a little surprised at recommended loads and velocities as H-110 is known as having a narrow range of usefullness at the higher range of velocity and a
    1,233 fps max surprised me.

Well, went to several other manuals and found something totally different.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Hornady forth edition listed:

starting load of 22.5 grains H-110 at 1,600 fps
    max load of 25.0 grains H-110 at 1,750 fps

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Hodgdon basic reloaders manual, 2003

Max load listed is 24.0 grains with a velocity of 1,522 fps (Nosler 240 grain) with a notation to reduce only 3% for starting
    load and no start load velocity listed.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Speer number 13

Start load of 22.0 grains at 1,362 fps
    Max load of 24.0 grains at 1451 fps

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

While I understand that different 240 grain jacketed bullets will produce slightly different results (along with barrel length and type tested) I was stunned by the range of recommended loads and listed velocities.

I always check several published sources before settling on a load to try and cannot ever remember seeing such a difference of opinion as to recommeded loads or the velocities such loads yield.

I guess for this one I will start with the lowest recommended load and drag out the chrono.

Anyone have experience loading H-110 with the 240 grain jacketed hollow point and what have your results been (measured velocities)
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    Why are you surprized. With the lot to lot variation in powder, primers, different cases, different primers.
    Lyman used a 4 inch vented test barrel not a revolver. Speer used a cci 350 mag primer and didn't Hodgdon use a win lp primer? I may be wrong on that though.
    Did all use the same brand of cases? \
    Did you check out the components each lab used?
    People get concerned over some mighty small things. Don't sweat it. just start somewhat low and work up just like anyone would. My self i would drop 24 gr and have at it. I know 24 gr in probably 98 to 99 percent of the guns will be safe.. Not saying it will be SAAMI compliant but very well may be. I've used as little as 22 gr with no untoward results and up to 25.
    2400 is more flexible. Sell the H110 and buy some 2400.
    Have fun and good luck.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    It is far better to know the maximum pressure rather than the maximum velocity. The best way, when a measuring transducer is not available, is to compare granule size before and after firing. H110 shows a distinct difference in size when the powder is correctly burned. When the balls are barely noticeably smaller, that shows when the pressure curve is just at the turning point of flattening out. H110 has a generous flat area indicating a good head room for its burning speed range. So, take advantage of that. If going to shoot in cold weather later, add another grain. You are very safe at that turning point should the weather turn much hotter. DO NOT use this technique with other powders. Instead, use a chrono. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 06-29-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    felix

240g xtp and 24.2 g of 296 and a wlp primer goes 1280-1310 fps from a 6 inch barrel

Boolit Master
    Max figures of 24.0, 24.0, 24.5, 25.0

Standard deviation of 0.415

No big deal really...

Banned

I shot the .44 for IHMSA for years and some 240 gr bullets like the Hornady 240 gr SIL bullet used 23.5 gr while the 240 XTP wanted 24 gr of 296 with a Fed 150 primer. I have no chrono figures for them.
    However I do for a 320 gr LBT.
    21.5 gr of 296 with a Fed 150 gives me 1316 fps from a 10-1/2" barrel.
    22.5 is 1386.1 fps.
    23 gr is 1421.5 fps.
    Remember that is a 320 gr boolit. 21.5 gr is the most accurate.
    H110 and 296 are the same powders except for a batch sent to WW or Hodgdon.
    What Lyman used for a 240 gr bullet velocity can't be explained but I assure you it is way over 1233 fps for 24.5 gr.
    24 is max at 1548 fps for jacketed (7" barrel.) but you can get away with a little more for some cast boolits. CAST CAN BE FASTER.

Boolit Master

I have found Hodgdon's data to be most accurate and Speer and Hornady to be most conservative. YMMV.

Load 23gr and shoot em.

Boolit Grand Master

HUGE variation in bbl lengths and chambers used to develop published data.

Some are 8" unvented some are 6" vented, some are actual revolver data, maybe
    4".

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

The actual range of recommended charges seems pretty narrow among all the sources you cite. The differences in velocity are more understandable as there are large variations among revolvers for groove diameter, forcing cone dimensions, and cyl gap. As well as throwing in various universal test barrels.

Does not seem to be a significant variation to me.

Boolit Master
    Well, loaded some of the pre-XTP Hornady 240 JHP behind 23.7 grains H-110 ('cause it dropped from my RCBS Lil Dandy #24 rotor at that weight).

Got an average (ten shots) of 1424 fps, which didn't seem too hard on the old hands.

Guess I'll call it good and load 100.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Next loading project to load some pb boolits (215 grain) in some 44 special brass for my custom Ruger flat-top built from a 357 mag some twenty five years ago....don't think I've loaded for and shot it in about ten years, time to get re-aquainted with it.

Vern

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Grand Master
    John Linebaugh actually says to use velocity as a gauge
    because velocity and pressure are constant
    each gun being different makes the velocity gauge
    more accurate at least in my eye and with H-110
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    If the gun is user defined accurate at that loading, then it is time to check the velocity's extreme spread. If close to zero, then the powder is appropriate for the primer, case, and boolit . Then various velocities can be checked with confidence between guns. Agree, the understanding must be based upon what you and John Linebaugh can visualize as a team. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    John Linebaugh actually says to use velocity as a gauge
    because velocity and pressure are constant
    each gun being different makes the velocity gauge
    more accurate at least in my eye and with H-110
    yes, White Eagle, that is what surprised me with the published data, not so much the listed powder charges, but the wide variation of reported velocities.

I was looking for a specific velocity range with the 240 grain Hornady (pre XTP) i had and with such a wide range of reported velocities, it was just a stab in the dark.

Yes, I know all about the differences in testing platforms at the companies that produce the data, but they shouldn't have produced that wide a range of reported velocities. (1,233 fps to 1,750 fps for max)

Anyway, I took my stab in the dark, and can live with the results.

Next time I load for this wheelgun, I think I will buy some 2400 powder and get down closer to 1350 fps.

I chose the powder, not based on the best choice for the intended purpose, but based on the quantity I had on hand....probably not the best criteria. I had about 14 pounds of H-110 and only about 1/2 lb. of 2400.

Time to attend a shooting club meeting again and find some members to go in with me on a big powder order, the more that buy, the less we each pay for shipping.
    Last edited by Olevern; 06-30-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    In my 4th edition Hornady manual the velocity spread is 1200 to 1450. 7.5 inch revolver.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    In my 4th edition Hornady manual the velocity spread is 1200 to 1450. 7.5 inch revolver.
    44mag#1,
    I am looking at the 4th edition Harnady manual on page 620 and read start load of H110 (22.5 gr.) at 1600 fps and max load (25.0 gr.) at 1750 fps.

Looked at it twice (today) , several times yesterday.

Are you looking at the 240 grain bullet?

BTW, checked the third edition and it lists the same data.

Boolit Master
    You might be better off to look on page 617 at the revolver section not the T/C section.
    You are shooting a revolver right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    You might be better off to look on page 617 at the revolver section not the T/C section.
    You are shooting a revolver right?
    You are right, 44 mag, I thumbed thru the data and found a page that was labeled "44 magnum pistol" and ASSUMED (yeah, I know) that it was the only data for 44 magnum pistol.

Yes, I used a 44 mag Ruger to test my loads, although I have a model 29 and a Contender in this caliber as well.

Obviously the revolver would produce less velocity with a cylinder gap and shorter barrel.

mystery solved.

Thanks for pointing out my error.

Vern