Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Plumbing wax ring

Boolit Bub

Plumbing wax ring

Does anyone know what kind of wax and/or grease goes into a toilet bowl wax ring? I once saw a bullet lube formula that called for equal parts of plumber's ring wax, beeswax, and paraffin. I've been using that formula since I ran out of Javelina and it works just as well for me. Generally I lube only the rearmost lube groove on my .30 cal. bullets but lately I'm having fun shooting a .43 Mauser and I pan-lube all three grooves on those bullets. Pete

years ago they used to be a beeswax composistion ..in this day and age of the "bottom dollar" they can be any cheap wax with whatever additives they deem necessary , i've read a few MSDS sheets on them and the ones i seen were several petroleum products , it's entirely possible that no two companies use the same formula and also entirely possible that they may not use the same ingredients twice ( especially in the same proportions ) ie; it may be rather hard to reduplicate the same lube again later , i've used some before ( works decent in pearl lube ) and perhaps will again but i bought extra of the same batch so it should turn out the same but after that i may have to re-tweak it all over again ( i use the pearl lube to lube huge grooved maxi balls and my buddy uses it for 44-40 with both smokeless and black )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Fryboy's msds suggestion sounds like the only likely way to find out about commercial products (though probably not proportions) unless you work in the factory.

I just bought a couple of rings and while the color was about right (but darker), the consistency and tack weren't much like the straight beeswax I've refined. Pure beeswax in my experience is much harder, and less tacky.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    any of the rings i have purchased in the last 10 years were far to sticky to be just bees wax
    they take sticky to a hole new level

they might make a good lube it would sure be soft and sticky , the question would be what would you add maybe a grease or a tallow just, Oil or tranny fluid would probably leave it to thin.

they are however cheap and plentiful , get a #3 they are much thicker , mix it with something and let us know how it goes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post

yes, wilco has found a great thread...

Boolit Buddy
    Haha, that's on the cheap, used toilet rings. Now if we could just find lead at that price.

Boolit Buddy
    Using used toilet rings would be a crappy idea...

Banned

Jim, who posted the thread Wilco linked, is one of our fine, niche experts here. I think he has once and for all settled this eternal question.

Gear