RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you use 00 in a 20ga?

Boolit Buddy
    I used to pour out shot and put 00 buck from spray paint cans from the dump as a kid. I used the lead shot to buffer the buck. My father would only buy #6 birdshot field loads for me as a kid. I used these 20 gauge duplex loads for groundhog killing. The .22 I had back then was minute of barn accuracy at best.

These 4 or 5 00 buck shot and filled with #6 were devastating on a groundhog.

Boolit Master
    See pages 36 and 37 for the Voluntary Industry Standards for conventional small pellet buckshot:

http://saami.org/specifications_and_..._Shotshell.pdf

Boolit Master
    It won't damage your barrel, however I would reload what ever buckshot size stacks the best in your hull/wad. Some sizes may leave a lot of empty space, other sizes may pack in there nice and tight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    It's probably been asked before, but does anyone load 00 for 20ga? I can use either 2 3/4 or 3in loads. All the hulls I have now are 2 3/4. I was told by a lady at a local gun shop that you cant shoot 00 because it will rip off your barrel. Now is it just me, or does it sound like BS? I don't know, but if you have any recipes, Ill be more than happy to use them!!

Check this post for pellet per layer calculator:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lets-per-layer

Speaking for myself, Turbo your post was right on target, and awesome.

And stated exactly and precisely why.

In 40 years of hunting I have never seen 20 ga for sale with 00 buck. #3 was normal.

I do have some brass hulls (Magtech) loaded with #1's in 20, but have had no real push to go pattern them.

FYI the #1's are also my preferred load for 12 ga. They are a little lighter, which translates into lower recoil. More of a "Tactical" load. They pour 9 pellets of #1 in a wad in hull and you get 3 stacks of 3 with zero fiddling, stacking, or fussing. Being a little smaller there is more flexibility for different wads. I happen to like adding an overshot card punched out of milk jug plastic and a scoop of cornmeal for filler.

Neccessary probably not but it makes an awesome tight crimp that does not open up, does not leak or cause problems.

Every time I tried loading 00 I got bulges in the hull which made chambering in a pump debatable. So most of those got religated to feed the old single shot H&R. It doesn't mind. I'm not convinced that I could not dunk a 10 ga round in alum and shove it in there with a little grease and a solid shove. JK no I won't try it.

Boolit Master
    I bought a flat of some Euro trash factory 20 gauge buckshot loads that were #1 buck . They'd probably do in a pinch , but the two 20 gauge SxS's I was shooting buckshot in liked handloaded #2 and #3 more .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

#4 buck in my 20ga is pretty lethal on coyotes to 60 yards. I do have some 00 buck loaded but never needed to use them. I'd go right to a slug at that point I think.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Master

All the buckshot loads that I have seen for 20 gauge were commercial #4 which are lethal for deer,yotes and such.I loved my 3" 20 gauge.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12