MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: imr 1185 help??

Boolit Mold

imr 1185 help??

Im having a very hard time finding load data for imr 1185 for my m1 garand 30-06 I have serched hi and low and have yielded nothing in my serches and reloading books. Ive got 8 pounds of the imr 1185 which was used in the millitary 30-06 loads and i know it was not really released to the public but there should be some load data some where. please help??
    karl

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I have no knowledge of 1185 from any manufacturing source or as a brand. Assuming DuPont as a designed source, and you KNOW it came from 30-06 loadings, I would play with it as a 3031 until proven otherwise. When playing games, use a strong actioned gun chambered for a small caliber, like a 223. Load 21 grains for starters. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 06-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    felix

Boolit Mold
    it was used in 1926-1938 when the millitary shifted to using a 172gr bullet in the 30-06 for the m1 garand it is a slow burning powder its just a bit on the esoteric because it was never really released to the public for reloading.

Boolit Master

From the good old days then.

Boolit Mold
    yes from the good old days. It burns good and no deteration at all and was kept well. if it was bad i would have dumped it and found something i know i have data for but its good powder which makes it all the more frustrating.

Boolit Master
    It was actually sold as a surplus powder by DCM back in the day. I am about to pull some corrosive-primed M1 and/or M2 Ball down; if I find it to be M1 then the powder will be 1185 and I'll post the charge weight I find here or PM you. If it is, and if I have a significant amount of it, I'll use the same charge weight with the same weight bullets.
    Ed <><
    PS Hatcher showed 50.0 in .30-06 with a 172-gr boattail M1/M72 bullet for about 2600 f/s.
    Last edited by Old School Big Bore; 01-05-2021 at 06:33 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    It was also used for loading APM2 during WW2, nominal charge 52 grains for 2700 fps.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    kgoodrich:

It is my belief that IMR 1185 became IMR 4895 after WW2. Your powder is getting quite old, my oldest is 1969 pulldown IMR 4895, but I digress..........

I think (remember this is JUST my opinion) that you can use IMR 4895 data for IMR1185, IF this is correct (that's the $64,000 question here). I have loaded as little as 37.5 grains 4895 in reduced 30-06 loads with 150 to 170 grain bullets, surely you could start off really low like this and work up.

Start low, work up, watch for pressure signs, you should be fine. Maybe, I think.................

Remember, the advice you get on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it!