MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TC Contender questions

Hey Guys....As you know I have been selling items here and still have alot of things to sale. I also have several guns that I will be selling as soon as everything else sells. Well I do have a 1979 contender with 7 barrels, two with scopes. And it appears that they have not been used. The other day I got it out and tryed to open it and couldn't. So I went to the net and found that if I took the trigger out I could get the barrel off. Well long story short I ended up losing the sear plunger but got the barrel off. So I called TC and ordered a new one. I am working on a deal with a member that wants the 44 mag. (mirror bore) super 14" barrel. So I was wondering went I sell this should I keep the rest of the barrels and sell as a package deal.
    When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    Shot fine, when I put powder in it!
    The Contenders are really accurate, you got some good groups.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I know why the primers looked a little different now!

I use a loading block partially filled with empty cases. When I put powder in a case it gets moved to the other end of the block. I still look in all the cases with a small flashlight. Cqn you tell I forgot to put powder in a case before?

Having been around truckers all my life and worked many off shifts I can say one needs to be careful loading especially if you are tired.

Glad you survived the no powder incident without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    Will the 12" need a two hole/screw foregrip, or the single like the 10"?
    12" factory barrels use the same forearm as 14". You'll need the two hole.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like you are loaded up on 222 barrels! Now you need to expand out into other calibers.
    The TCU cartridges are great, use 223 brass so fairly inexpensive. Then there is the 30-30, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Shawn having to pull 4 or 5 not bad. Having a wood rod or something is a good idea .I have to pull something like 3000 =9mm had some with no powder caused by a piece of foam from the powder bottle getting into the powder bar ??? Have you gotten the Sako back yet ?

Boolit Grand Master

Now you aqre getting in the groove! Even with that pitted bore it seems to be shooting pretty well.
    That last boolit looks pretty interesting. wonder if it will stabilize from the Contender?

I'm thinking about taking my 22 K-Hornet out this week. Have neglected it for over a year.

Have fun.

I can tell that you are having way too much fun with this !
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    go to Mike Bellem sight and down load the how to adjust your dies for loading the encore or contender he has a lot of great information on contenders. Contenders are a nasty habbit about like casting I have way more than I can shoot I have taken several elk and deer, speed goats and all kinds of varmits. I have been trying to cut back on mine thin out the herd but it is hard to do.

Kirb

Boolit Master
    if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck. Hope things turn out okay.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    That's the ropes, right there. I have been lucky (and sometimes not) on used barrels. I usually end up buying them at gun shows. Some are alright and some aren't clean enough to look at the rifling- probably a reason for that, huh?

Still, if I really need a brand new one, I look up edstc.com , he's someone I've met in person. The extra $ I have to 'buck up' to get a barrel is sometimes worth it. When you know you get what you paid for, it's good.
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, FL size your new brass. See how it shoots before doing too much. It might be a shooter after all. Sure looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet. One process I've had good luck with is fire-lapping troublesome barrels. I've turned more than one wayward drain pipe into a nail driver. Mostly it all depends on what you want and how it performs. Some guys want a pretty, deep blue show piece, and others want an "under the front seat of the truck" workhorse. Good luck.

Must have pushed the wrong button again. Was trying to add my thoughts to page 1 of the thread. Don't know how it ended up over here.
    Last edited by 725; 07-31-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Late to the forum...
    Don't worry about the 14"... it's fine... I have two in 30-30 (old scoped, newer with silhuette sights), one each in 7TCU, 45-70, and .223.
    The longer barrels do get a bit heavy when carrying, but with a strap they should be better.

Old barrels may make a difference for some calibers, but none that I have.
    Of course, my old .45 colt (only) barrel will shoot circles around current .45/.410 barrels.

Banned
    Hey guys I have a Question??? I purchased a 14 inch T/C Barrel on Gun broker chambered for 7 mm TCU but my TCU cartridges will not chamber. I have a Wilson case gauge and all my loaded cartridges are checked and are fine. This barrel just has a very tight chamber. There are no markings on the barrel, stamped near hinge pin in 7mmTcu , one one side of under lug hinge pin is a star, on other side is what I call a German Cross. Any idea who made the Barrel and does anyone recognize those markings???n Your help is appreciated. Thanks !!.