Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: lubing molds

lubing molds

How often should you lube molds to prevent casts from sticking to the molds and what is the best lube to use?

Boolit Master

BullPlate from the Bullshop, they're Vendor Sponsors here.

So no need to lube the cavity?

Boolit Grand Master

NEVER lube the cavity. No soot or spray is needed or helps. Lee is wrong on this one.

Bullplate lube on alignment features, top of mold blocks and bottom of sprue
    plate. VERY, VERY sparingly.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

bhn22
    lubing the cavity would cause poor fillout. The moving parts need lubrication, though.

Good enough... thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    You will only lube the cavities once. You will then learn how to clean a mould really well. The lesson won't need repeating.
    I lube the sprue plate and locating pins when they seem to need it. It is a feel thing.

No mention of Kroil oil here?
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    No mention of Kroil oil here?
    Kroil it seems is a personal choice.

My personal choice is that with the exception of very, very little Bull Plate on the sprue hinge & alignment pins NO oil of any kind will get within 10 feet of one of my molds.

If a mold isn't dropping bullets its because there is a problem. Kroil or smoking a mold does nothing to correct the problem, these are only methods of attempting to cover up a problem.

I don't go to great lengths to clean my molds so that the first thing I do with them is put oil back in the cavities or get them filthy & plug up the vent lines with soot. If there is a problem I find the problem & correct it, not cover it up.

If others personal choice is to put oil in their cavities that's their choice. Not for me thanks.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I've been using a dry graphite film spray lube on my sprue plates and top of the moulds to reduce lead smears for twenty five years. I had a casting business for over twenty years and cast and sold several million boolits.

The last can I got from Napa was pure ****. They changed the formulation. While I was at AutoZone buying some EVAPO-RUST, I asked the clerk if they had any dry film graphite spray. Nope, but we got this other stuff and showed me a can of Liquid Wrench dry spray lubricant. So I said "what the heck" and bought a can.

I used it on an H&G #275 09-125-SWCBB six cavity mould and a Saeco #929 38S-145-SWCBB and cast 2,600 of the 9s and a bit over 1,400 of the Supers. The stuff worked fantastic and I had no lead build up or smears on the sprue plate or top of the mould. Much better than the graphite spray.

At $5.49 + tax, it's half the price of the Napa graphite spray and I intend to buy a couple more cans just to have them on hand.
    Last edited by casterofboolits; 06-25-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Dry spray lube.... sounds cheaper than the bullplate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by loader View Post
    That may be, but that one small bottle of Bull Plate will last more than a lifetime.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Bullplate works so darn well. And it is cheap. If it was 20 dollars a bottle I might worry it but the cost is minimal.

As for not seeing Kroil mentioned maybe that is because many of us want out cavities clean. We know that works so why mess with it.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by loader View Post
    Dry graphite aerosol works for 'spatter proofing' the outside of a mould, but Bullplate works (for that) just as well. Additionally, Bullplate is suitable for actual lubrication of pivots and alignment pins. The spray graphite is not really adaptable to those applications.

And, finally, considering the need for two coats and the waste from overspray, you will use ten cans of graphite before emptying your bottle of Bullplate.

I've been using Bullplate for a year. Before that, I had always used the aerosol graphite.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

NEVER lube the cavity. No soot or spray is needed or helps. Lee is wrong on this one.
    for the most part, this is absoloutly true. however i have had to smoke a few molds to get them through their "break in" period. once broken in, you will NEVER, EVER want anything except lead in the caviry.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master

I don't lube my molds as a standard but I have used Kroil in my mold to try it out. Works good on some finicky molds where everything else failed. I compare the use of Kroil to seasoning on cast iron. Works very well. An added bonus is that is helps to prevent rust in your more humid climates. I don't have that issue, as it is plenty dry here.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin