MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pewter will ruin my pot?

Boolit Bub

pewter will ruin my pot?

I'm new to all this and I searched and couldn't find anything. In the Lee directions with my pot it says that pewter can NOT be melted in the pot. I called to verify and was told it would corrode the lining of the pot even in the small amounts we're using. Seems crazy to me since a lot of people use pewter as tin.

Pewter will corrode the lininig??? Never heard of that. I know some solders are acid core and have the potential...
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Pewter is a malleable metal alloy, traditionally 85–99% tin, with the remainder consisting of copper, antimony, bismuth and sometimes, less commonly today, lead. Silver is also sometimes used. Copper and antimony act as hardeners while lead is common in the lower grades of pewter, which have a bluish tint. It has a low melting point, around 170–230 °C (338–446 °F), depending on the exact mixture of metals. A typical European casting alloy contains 94% tin, 1% copper, and 5% antimony. A European pewter sheet would contain 92% tin, 2% copper, and 6% antimony. Asian pewter, produced mostly in Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand, contains a higher percentage of tin, usually 97.5% tin, 1% copper, and 1.5% antimony.

How that can cause the lining to corrode beats me, personally I'd go ahead and do it and not worry about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The reason you could not find anything is because.................

..............that is insane! The components of pewter will NOT corrode/rust the Lee pot. Acid core solder as mentioned above WILL!!!!!

I melt lead, tin, pewter, bismuth, antimony alloys, etc all the time and none are detrimental to the Lee melting pots.

Too much information CAN be dangerous!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Pewter is mostly tin with a little lead and sometimes pure tin. Most everyone here has melted it in our pots so I wonder if they are referring to something else. I have also melted pure tin from other sources many times. I wouldn't worry about it. Many people wind up with aluminum that they think is pewter but it won't melt unless a lot hotter so I can't imagine this is what they are talking about.

Boolit Grand Master

I have melted and cast into ingots over 280 pounds of pewter in 2013 and I am here to tell you the information in the Lee directions is false.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Bub
    thanks everyone. You all confArmed what I believed. It's a shame that Lee doesn't understand that. Below is a copy of the text from the email that they sent me. I emailed their support dept. to see if I got a different answer.

Pewter even in small doses, is corrosive and will dissolve the liner of the melting pot.

Thanks,

Andy

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027

Banned

As much as I love Lee Precision, I don't get that response.

personally i prefer not to smelt anything in my casting pot as that's why i have a smelting pot , smelting in my casting pot is a good way to introduce various contaminants to it ( known or unknown ) i've found that "ol drippy" drips alot less this way
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Perma-Banned

If there is still any confusion, send it all to me so that you are not tempted to try it. I'll see to it that it is disposed of safely.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    personally i prefer not to smelt anything in my casting pot as that's why i have a smelting pot , smelting in my casting pot is a good way to introduce various contaminants to it ( known or unknown ) i've found that "ol drippy" drips alot less this way
    $20 for a hot plate and $6 for a stainless steel 6 inch pot from salvation army would leave your Lee casting pot for nice clean ingots your casting into bullets.

Boolit Master

That is just bizarre
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    $20 for a hot plate and $6 for a stainless steel 6 inch pot from salvation army would leave your Lee casting pot for nice clean ingots your casting into bullets.
    While good advice in general, turning pewter into ingots is not quite the same as melting scrap WW or plumbing drains. Pewter is pretty clean stuff to start with.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I've always mixed my pewter in my lee. Its still going and no rust or rott. Its much cleaner than my clean lead ingots really !

Mike

Boolit Master
    An absolutely preposterous supposition.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Bull Turdies
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

Yah, ANDY told me that Bullplate lube would damage your molds too.

Boolit Grand Master

Gosh, I guess I should run home to check all my pots that have been working for years with no issues......

Anyone care to send me their defective pewter. I'll be a nice guy and pay shipping

Banned

By the way. Andy watches this board. So whatever you post about how crazy his comments are, and how the QC is non-existent, he will read it.

Boolit Master

There is an old account of a guy who's wife asked him to cut a ham in half so she could bake it. He told her that was not necessary. She replied;" That's how my mother always did it" He suggested they ask her mother why it was necessary.
    The answer, because I didn't have a roaster big enough for a whole ham.
    Perhaps this could be cleared up if LEE Precision informed us in detail of the source of this recommendation. They are the manufacturer, they make the recommendation. What would be helpful is to know why they believe this. Pewter melts at 450, lead alloys much higher. Tin is not especially reactive with iron to my knowledge.

How about it Andy?
    Last edited by William Yanda; 01-26-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast