RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 for the buck within $200.00 ?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    But for God's sake, dont shoot it!! The disappointment will tear you up. I have owned two Gold Cup's, one combat commander, and three government models. These were mixed series some 70's and some 80's. They all needed some heavy fitting to make function reliably, the commander would F-up no matter what I did. My 400 dollar used kimber will outshoot my gold cup 80 stainless and my Rock Island will feed every kind of cheap ammo you can feed it including straight wadcutters and primed empty cases with straight mouths. Sure, as an investment the Colt is the way to go. Short of that, I would get the Taurus or the Rock.
    Must be the luck of the draw. I have an Argentine 1911, and a Combat Commander. Both run flawlessly. The CC is my daily carry pistol.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Para for about $500.00 A good solid basic 1911. At least the one I got is. good shooter.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    My Dad use to say" Buy the best you can afford and cry only once"

Boolit Master
    Well it's evident that I presented this in a manner that few understood what I was saying, so I'll try again.

I did not mean a pistol for $200.00, I thought that would be "Logical" to most, sorry.

I meant within the highest prices give or take ($200.00) what is the Best with a good chance for resale value down the road and still be a top of the heap pistol ( Now/accuracy/reliability) regardless of its Company name. If this is still confusing please answer on any point .

I had a compact RIA 1911 for a while, and it was a good gun. I only sold it to get a 1911 with a 4" barrel. I just bought a Ruger 1911 full size gun, and it is in the lower price range, but way above your $200 hope as all decent 1911's , and most 1911 junk is. So far it has been a very good gun. Nice sights, shoots where it points, and makes holes close together on the target.

Groo here
    OK Ruger 1911 all USA

Sorry, like some others, I read your post too quickly, and drew the wrong conclusions.

Hey there, plus one on th Taurus PT1911. Mine cost right at $500, and I very please with her performance and reliability. I know that Taurus gets a bum rap at times, but my PT1911 has been a solid performer with little in the ways of hick-ups. For the price, I believe it to be a good value. My has shot various cast, hollows and ball ammo with out so much of a glitch.

Ruger did not have theirs out when I was looking. But even if they did, I would still have bought the PT1911, becuase I like blue over stainless and all steel over alloys and aluminum.

Lonerider

Banned

two best bang for the buck guns in my opinion are the tarurs and the sti spartan. Id take the spartan if for no other reason then it didnt say tarus on it anywhere!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Well it's evident that I presented this in a manner that few understood what I was saying, so I'll try again.

I did not mean a pistol for $200.00, I thought that would be "Logical" to most, sorry.

I meant within the highest prices give or take ($200.00) what is the Best with a good chance for resale value down the road and still be a top of the heap pistol ( Now/accuracy/reliability) regardless of its Company name. If this is still confusing please answer on any point .

The problem is that as you go up in price, you lose the number of guys willing to pay that much for something to be used. And for the guys that won't bat an eye, they would rather buy new.

Can you imagine paying $10,000.00 for a Wilson in 20 years?

So if you figure that everything takes a haircut at first and then climbs over the years, I would go with a mid range name. Something like Ruger or Kimber if it's all steel. Those companies aught to be survivors in the 1911 wars.

That may also be a key to .... value.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    The problem is that as you go up in price, you lose the number of guys willing to pay that much for something to be used. And for the guys that won't bat an eye, they would rather buy new.

Can you imagine paying $10,000.00 for a Wilson in 20 years?

So if you figure that everything takes a haircut at first and then climbs over the years, I would go with a mid range name. Something like Ruger or Kimber if it's all steel. Those companies aught to be survivors in the 1911 wars.

That may also be a key to .... value.

Thank Bass, I was starting to get nervious as to some of the answers. I just wish people would read all of ones posts before starting to "Blabber on and on", I,m not necessarily looking for used if I find a deal on a used model! , Thanks for the post clarification, Chageling.

Boolit Master
    This seems like a job for a Norinco, but you can't get those in america. (edit: ah well I saw the correction)

Though in all honesty just get springfield mil-spec. (edit: this still stands though)

Boolit Buddy
    Little trivia for you guys/gals . Which college did the president or past president of TAURUS graduate from??? I been out of the industry for a while but it was United States Navel Academy aka
    Annapolis,

Boolit Master
    I hope you don't think you mean a 1911 for $200 because unless you're thinking Airsoft, one doesn't exist. However, for around $500-$600 I would suggest either a Para Ordnance GI Expert or a new Remington 1911. I wouldn't take a Taurus 1911 because I have seen several have major parts failures, so I don't trust them, along with any other Taurus.
    This reminds me of a discussion (rather spirited) when I was working at a table at a gunshow with a friend and some guy came up and asked what kind of decent .38 revolver he could get for under $100. We laughed at him because we thought he was kidding and then he pulled out the $100. It seems he was new to guns, just got his permit and could not believe how much guns really cost. He thought that they were all made overseas or something and we were trying to rip him off. My friend even showed him a nice Model 10 for $250 used and he could not understand why the gun cost so much, to him it should have been so much less.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Once a thread gets to be thirty some posts long, it's usually a good idea to read the entire thread before responding to the O.P.

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Best I can do is a Norinco 1911A1 I bought for $280.00 in a Corpus Christi Texas pawn shop five years ago. I replaced the springs, added King Hardball sights and some mesquite grips. It is a top notch pistol.

I like it so much I bought another the next year for $320 and modified it the same way. Great pistols for very little money.

Bill Clinton put a stop on importing these, but there are still out there on the used market.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 09-09-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    I guess the title says it all ! I have always wanted a "Class Act .45" for home defense and just having some great fun with! It should also, be in a class that will increase in value over time since I will be leaving it to my son one day, hopefully a long time from now, LOL!

I know absolutely nothing about them, actually never even held one!

So about all I can say is what do the experts recommend ?
    There is getting to be so many companies out there making them that it is impossible for someone to make a choice without being extremely knowledgeable on 1911's and whats "Out There"!
    Honestly....dont spend a dime less than $450 on a new handgun.
    No offense to any who have, but Ive had my share of $150-300 handguns and just enough of them were less than desirable.

You'll have this thing the rest of your life. Its worth paying $500+ for it now. You wont regret it

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    My Dad use to say" Buy the best you can afford and cry only once"
    My dad and grandfather were the same.
    Put the effort/money in now and you wont regret it later.

Ive spent so much money on low end guns over the years. Not one of them are still around.
    Lots of wasted cash better spent on ONE quality gun.

Boolit Man
    Uh, Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Best I can do is a Norinco 1911A1 I bought for $280.00 in a Corpus Christi Texas pawn shop five years ago. I replaced the springs, added King Hardball sights and some mesquite grips. It is a top notch pistol.

I like it so much I bought another the next year for $320 and modified it the same way. Great pistols for very little money.

Bill Clinton put a stop on importing these, but there are still out there on the used market.
    This is going to kill you but we still get them up here. $349Cdn + tax out the door. The new "Police" models are very nice. I have the older style GI type models. I had two gunsmiths do their thing with a Commander and a full size. Joe Dlask out of Vancouver did the full size. I use it for IDPA. Accurate without outstanding steel in them. The Norinco copy of the SIG 226 is a pretty good deal as well for the same $349CDN ($342US). I have yet to have a failure of any kind.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast