Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Propane tank adaptor

Boolit Bub

Propane tank adaptor

I have a propane tank here that has a quick coupler on the valve. Very similar to a quick coupler you would see on an air line in a shop, only bigger. How can I use this tank on a turkey fryer that uses the newer screw on tank? Only reason I ask is because the propane tank is full and I would just like to use it up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samdweezel05 View Post
    I have a propane tank here that has a quick coupler on the valve. Very similar to a quick coupler you would see on an air line in a shop, only bigger. How can I use this tank on a turkey fryer that uses the newer screw on tank? Only reason I ask is because the propane tank is full and I would just like to use it up.
    Male or female? The hose should have 3/8 pipe thread and could be adaptable.

Got any pics?

Boolit Bub
    I can sure as heck get pics. The fitting on the tank is female.

Quote Originally Posted by samdweezel05 View Post
    I can sure as heck get pics. The fitting on the tank is female.
    Looks like Jims idea will do it. But let me see the pics....

Boolit Buddy
    A propane tank with that type of adapter was normally sold with the Holland Grill. It takes a special adapter to fill it at a fill station. Normally they won't have it. Go to a full service gas company like AmeriGas or Suburan and ask. Otherwise swap in out at a clyinder exchange cage and get rid of it. Mike

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Adk Mike View Post
    A propane tank with that type of adapter was normally sold with the Holland Grill. It takes a special adapter to fill it at a fill station. Normally they won't have it. Go to a full service gas company like AmeriGas or Suburan and ask. Otherwise swap in out at a clyinder exchange cage and get rid of it. Mike
    I am a little north of Plattsburgh. Where are you at? I am going to exchange the tank to make it very easy.

Boolit Grand Master

My travel trailer had a connection on it to hook up the propane grill that hung on the outside of the trailer.

Weber gas grills had them to several years ago. When I worked at the hardware store, we sold the grills and stocked adapters, both ways, so that people could use other propane tanks -or that quick coupler tank, with other grills and burners.

Check out a well stocked hardware store or RV supplier. Mom and pop stores will usually ne happy to order something for you if it is in the master catalog.

Boolit Master

While setting up to smelt this year ! and hooking up the propane tank to the turkey fryer there weas no igntion at the burner ! i unscrewed the hose from the burner and there was no gas, the new style coupling was bad so ! i also tried it on another tank, seemes it wasent pressing in on the ck valve on the tank valve. i switched the bad outside style hose coupling with the old style male hose coupling. works good now .

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

tank

Do as was posted and go to the RV dealers in your area. I would also check the date on your tank. If it is due to expire then I would not spend any funds on it as your propane dealers will not fill a out dated bottle. At least that is what happens here in Louisiana. A good Propane service center could either change out your fittings or transfer your gas into a more updated tank. All the new tanks have a float system that only allows a 80% fill. If your tank is the one that is designed for RV's and is in good condition then maybe they will work out a swap with some money added of course.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    IF you plan to swap out the tank, be sure to check the expiration date on the tank you will be getting, I did this once on a Sunday in sort of an emergency, party going on and gas runs out. when I went to get that tank refilled it was two years out of date, and the one I swapped was brand new. I don't know how they get away with this but they do.......................steg

Boolit Buddy
    The Q-D valve is Type 2; the Acme-threaded valve is Type 1. Both work fine, the Acme-threaded valve is more common and has the added advantage of still having female POL threads inside so older hoses and/or regulators can be used.

Tank exchange has its benefits, even though you probably won't get as much propane as you expect—read the fine print. That cylinder that holds 20 lb may only be filled with 14-15 lb in an exchange situation…you're paying for the service, not the propane. I prefer the handle style on cylinders from Manchester since I have to carry them up the hill from where I park and it's more comfortable to grasp, so all my 20-pounders from other companies have been swapped for ones from Manchester. Then I have them refilled at a "real" propane dealer and just pay for the actual gallons that it takes to fill 'em.

You also might get grief if you have an old cylinder that doesn't have an OPD valve (overfill-prevention device), but they aren't mandatory for cylinders used for industrial heating. I have a little 5-lb Manchester cylinder that has the old POL valve, and I haven't had any problems getting it filled—it's part of my portable flame cutting rig and goes to the propane dealer with its regulator, torch, and 20-cf oxygen tank.

Propane: The funny fuel.

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"