RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WI CCW Training Online

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar

WI CCW Training Online

If any WI resident can not remember where they put their hunter's education card, I found that it is faster to take the Maryland Firearms Safety course online then to get a replacement copy of your hunters ed card. The entire course took me about 25 minutes and this course will meet WI requirements for a concealed weapons permit.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Would be a real deal if Ne. would do something like this. Instead, we are required to take a 2 day training course (cost $200.00), which does include a couple of hours at the range. No consideration for military training, etc.etc.etc.
    More and more bureaucracy!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

Approximately half the states require some sort of training for CCW and the other
    half have nothing required. Zero difference in any of the measurables between
    the two groups.

I was on the committee that wrote the training requirements for KS, and made it
    a point to keep them reasonable. My two most common comebacks during days
    of discussion was "We aren't training Navy SEALs here." and "Anything that would
    make it hard for a normal 80 yr old woman to get a license is fundamentally
    wrong. "

I personally have paid out of my pocket for a fair bit of training, far beyond what
    the state requires. I am not strongly opposed to training, especially explaing the
    law to CCW carriers, and I have taught CCW classes, but there is no real evidence to
    suggest that people are dangerous in states without class requirements.

If WI only requires Hunter Safety, that is at the very bottom of the training requirements
    ladder. KS requires 8 hrs and a range qualification, some require 16 hrs plus range
    training and qualification ( separate items). MO requires 8 hrs and range testing for
    proof of ability with both a semiauto and revolver. Etc., etc.

Now only Illinois is without any CCW, although functionally Hawaii is technicall a CCW
    state but if my information is right, none are ever issued due to the police "just don't
    want to".

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Bill, WI training is modeled after Florida in which any firearms training is accepted for the permit requirement. There was interest in WI to have "Constitution Carry" were no permits/training would be required, but that one was argued away and the Florida model was used as a compromise. There has also been talk of creating two permit classes in WI with the second class requiring more training so that WI residents permits would be recognized in more states, but that will be down the road some.

I have the NRA basic pistol course under my belt already so the Maryland deal was just out of personal interest. It is ran by the Maryland State Police and you get a nifty little card to print out and add to your accolades.

I lost my card years ago but wanted it for use to meet requirements for some other states non resident licensing. I contacted the DNR and they sent me a new one in a couple of days. Their records go back a ways too. I got mine in 1968. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master
    my card fell apart years ago , they wouldn't sell me my hunting license without it one year , a call to the dnr an i had one in the mail the next week

i just wish they were more than a piece of card stock paper , but i laminated it and it has held up much better now

I will be interested in the details of the permitting process as they come out I will have the training exemption from the sounds of it, but they have said October or November before they have the system ready , my personal thought is if you require training people will do the minimum , if you don't a few people will get none at all while most will get more than would have been required.

it was important that they keep it simple , many of the supporters of this bill want nothing to do with a gun, but it will finally be legal for people to carry pepper spray with the permit when i called my state senator his secretary was very excited about the bill even though her boss wasn't , because she could carry a tazer , this is probably a good part of the reason that all 8 democrat women of the senate voted for this , while their male party members did not give it as much support.

Boolit Grand Master
    there is a age limit for having to have a H.S.certification
    any thought go to the fellas and gals that did not need H.S ?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by man.electric View Post
    If any WI resident can not remember where they put their hunter's education card, I found that it is faster to take the Maryland Firearms Safety course online then to get a replacement copy of your hunters ed card. The entire course took me about 25 minutes and this course will meet WI requirements for a concealed weapons permit. http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
    Online courses are a loaded gun and can have a positive or negative effect, depending on which end you're standing.

Virginia will recognize this particular course and a lot like it. That's good for the consumer, especially if it's free for the asking. Not so good for the instructors, though. Online courses are putting us out of business.

I stay in touch with about a half dozen or so instructors in a hundred mile radius. I swapped emails with one about a month or so back and he told me he hadn't had a request for a class since April or so.

I went by the Floyd County courthouse recently and stopped in the Clerk of Court's office to speak to Mr. Wendell (Wendell Peters, CoC). I asked him how he stood on my business cards and he told me he had not had any requests for information on local instructors. He did mention, though, that applications are on the rise. Seems everyone is discovering online courses.

So much for Floyd Gun School.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Online courses are a loaded gun and can have a positive or negative effect, depending on which end you're standing.

Virginia will recognize this particular course and a lot like it. That's good for the consumer, especially if it's free for the asking. Not so good for the instructors, though. Online courses are putting us out of business.

I stay in touch with about a half dozen or so instructors in a hundred mile radius. I swapped emails with one about a month or so back and he told me he hadn't had a request for a class since April or so.

I went by the Floyd County courthouse recently and stopped in the Clerk of Court's office to speak to Mr. Wendell (Wendell Peters, CoC). I asked him how he stood on my business cards and he told me he had not had any requests for information on local instructors. He did mention, though, that applications are on the rise. Seems everyone is discovering online courses.

So much for Floyd Gun School.
    as much as i think training especially training by a good instructor is great , if your not flush with cash and i don't know what your charging , and find you have a new unwanted admirer (stalker) or are now working nights and coming home at all hours
    all i am saying if it was my daughter who suddenly had a problem like that and not the time to wait for permits or the cash to take formal training from an instructor i would want to be able to hand her a 38 , take her to the range for an few hours and have her much more ready than she was without a government agency in the way. or for that matter even pepper spray , which women of this state have been carrying illegal for years my wife did over a decade ago after they failed to pass concealed carry then

I have told all my kids they will take hunters safety , if they ever touch a gun after that it is up to them. i have one daughter who says she has no interest , that until she sees her brothers target , and steps up to the line to out do him.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    there is a age limit for having to have a H.S.certification
    any thought go to the fellas and gals that did not need H.S ?
    hunters safety is one of many things that will fulfill the training requirement if say you took the Florida or Utah class , were in the armed services , or had a hunters safety from another state.

the age for hunter safety it was needed by any one born on or after Jan 1 1973 in order to purchase a hunting license, but that doesn't mean the majority of people under 38 have them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    as much as i think training especially training by a good instructor is great , if your not flush with cash and i don't know what your charging , and find you have a new unwanted admirer (stalker) or are now working nights and coming home at all hours.....
    Pete, I'm not following all of that, but with respect to my fees, I'm charging $25 less than any instructor within a hundred miles of me and the online courses are beating me by $10.
    Plus, people are discovering that they can take the online course in the comfort and privacy of their home with nothing more than a valid credit card. No class schedule to meet, no traveling to the class location, no live fire required and they can complete the course in a little over an hour instead of 8 hours.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Approximately half the states require some sort of training for CCW and the other
    half have nothing required. Zero difference in any of the measurables between
    the two groups.

I was on the committee that wrote the training requirements for KS, and made it
    a point to keep them reasonable. My two most common comebacks during days
    of discussion was "We aren't training Navy SEALs here." and "Anything that would
    make it hard for a normal 80 yr old woman to get a license is fundamentally
    wrong. "

I personally have paid out of my pocket for a fair bit of training, far beyond what
    the state requires. I am not strongly opposed to training, especially explaing the
    law to CCW carriers, and I have taught CCW classes, but there is no real evidence to
    suggest that people are dangerous in states without class requirements.

If WI only requires Hunter Safety, that is at the very bottom of the training requirements
    ladder. KS requires 8 hrs and a range qualification, some require 16 hrs plus range
    training and qualification ( separate items). MO requires 8 hrs and range testing for
    proof of ability with both a semiauto and revolver. Etc., etc.

Now only Illinois is without any CCW, although functionally Hawaii is technicall a CCW
    state but if my information is right, none are ever issued due to the police "just don't
    want to".

Bill
    IF we ever get CCW here you will probably need at least 40 hours class room training for a fee of about $1,000 and testing plus 1K rounds down range, plus a 1 million dollar insurance policy plus anything else to keep us from getting our god given rights.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Pete, I'm not following all of that, but with respect to my fees, I'm charging $25 less than any instructor within a hundred miles of me and the online courses are beating me by $10.
    Plus, people are discovering that they can take the online course in the comfort and privacy of their home with nothing more than a valid credit card. No class schedule to meet, no traveling to the class location, no live fire required and they can complete the course in a little over an hour instead of 8 hours.
    Jim I can respect that your charging a reasonable fee for the service you offer, it is my personal belief that while training is great and i take what i can , i have self educated my self an awful lot more than any class room even the good ones have taught me, i have also gotten training from friends and relatives along the way.

but it is also my personal belief that concealed carry is a god given right to self defense , and that governments should keep out of it , training models are one of 2 things typically A verifying you know the absolute minimum amount of information for a specific subject so that you can be better held accountable if you do something wrong or 2 a plan by someone to make a buck mandating something that specifically figures into what they can make money on almost a pay to play.

i get wanting people to have proper safety procedures and practices , but i don't get doing it in a way that causes accessibility issues

i supported constitutional carry because while i want everyone to have great training , we have not seen any major safety issues in other states that have constitutional carry. so lacking reasonable concern about public safety i prefer to promote accessibility. so as an example that if the single mom working 2 jobs and barely getting by needs to carry to ensure the safety of her and her kids in the neighborhood she is working hard to get out of , then so be it why tax her safety. why tax my safety or any ones.

i can tell you from the press release that one of the most liberal states senators in the state issues that she voted for concealed carry in it's passed form to give her constituents living in metro Milwaukee personal protection choices , the choices they wanted

why it "needed" to be a permitted system say our legislature was because of the gun free school zone laws both federal and state , the state law specified no guns within 1000 feet of the farthest edge of a school property , but these boundary are not marked police have to measure them when they want to charge someone , some cities had drawn maps to the nearest street in many parts of Milwaukee there are miles wear it is impossible to stay 1000 feet from a school

I should point out that Wisconsin has maintained legal open carry since she received statehood in 1848 , the restrictions were location based like schools court houses and such.

one of the contributing factors to passing concealed carry has been the revival of open carry , open carry still requires no permit . no training , and is still just as legal today and in 6 moths as it was last year or in 1848.
    during this revival of open carry there were no issues with public safety so if it is legal and always has been to carry openly with no permit why should things change when a jacket covers the holstered gun

The clear and concise details of WI's new access to our rights.

Banned

i gave the course in mich. It was a two day course for us. It about nessesitated you have have two instructors to give it right. We charged a 100 bucks and that included lunch both days and snacks and drinks. Plus the course books cost about 50 bucks per person. Average class was about 6 people. After one year of it we both decided that it just wasnt worth tieing up a weekend and making maybe a 100 bucks a piece and thats only if you got at least 6 people. If you factor in all of this, at least in MI you should thank your instructor as hes doing more of a favor for you then making money. We give maybe one or at the most two courses a year now and only when a group of people we actually know get together and ask us. We no just charge them for there books and there on there own for meals and snacks. We havent done one since about this time last year and as far as im conserned if another never comes up id be happy. Anohter thing we allways did for free is extra range instruction for people that had never handled guns or wanted more time shooting with an instructor. Heck wed have usually one or two out of a class that wanted extra time and wed spend a day with them at the range with our guns and even our ammo. So dont think all those instructors are out to take your money. In most cases your getting a real bargin.

Boolit Mold

Ccw wi

Just a few points.. also see http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6978

Provides that proof of training may also be met by submitting any of the following:
    �� Documentation that the applicant completed military, law enforcement, or security training that gave the applicant experience with firearms that is substantially equivalent to a course described above (determined by DOJ);
    �� Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the Armed Forces as demonstrated by an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions;
    �� A copy of a certificate of completion of military basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and certification;
    �� A copy of a current or expired concealed weapons license issued by another jurisdiction.
    �� Clarifies that DOJ may not require the firing of live ammunition to meet the training requirement.
    Specifies that proof of training may be met by providing a copy of a document that indicates that the applicant completed any of the following:
    �� A hunter education program recognized by the Department of Natural Resources;
    �� A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a firearms instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or who is certified by DOJ (includes NRA certified instructors);
    �� A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors (includes NRA);
    �� A firearms safety or training course that is available to the public and is offered by a law enforcement agency or, if the course is taught by an instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or by DOJ, by a technical college, a college or university, a private or public institution or organization, or a firearms training school;
    �� A firearms safety or training course that is offered to law enforcement officers or to owners
    Last edited by dalebernstein; 07-08-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks very much like Virginia's stipulations.

Quote Originally Posted by dalebernstein View Post
    I thought I posted the link last night, but I must have forgotten how to paste....

Boolit Master
    I think instructors are great , I myself am a volunteer instructor in shooting sports

Lloyd ,i only serve to make the argument that , mandatory instruction serves as , an issue to access
    that it doesn't statistically make the public any safer than a state not mandating class room training over X number of hours.

there have been businesses that provided training that were basically salivating at the idea that everyone would be required to take training of a high enough level that it would have to be done at a specific type of facility and bring them revenue , i think training is good but it shouldn't serve as a hurdle to access

it sounds like you were providing a real service , and in the end you came to the conclusion that for the small amount made you might as well just charge for the books and volunteer your time.

it may be hard enough for some one to scrape together 300 for a gun and 40-50 for a good holster 40 for shells 50 for a permit fee it doesn't mean they aren't worth the protection.

hunters safety here is that way , instructors are almost all volunteers , volunteers tend to be the people you couldn't afford to pay enough but are there because they want to be.

Boolit Mold

Wi ccw

I agree. Volunteers are the main line of instructors out there and they deserve grand thanks! The Maryland on line venue would seem to qualify for those of us here in WI. However, as most would agree, an actual live/face to face course is the way to go, and especially with consideration to CCW. Those of us who have had service training, can provide our DD214's, however I would still urge a refresher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast