Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: swaging vs casting?

swaging vs casting?

i already cast boolits for all of my handguns, and the majority of my rifles. it seems to me, that swaging is a lot more expensive than casting. is there a payoff for the extra $? either in speed of production, or in the quality of the boolits. besides the dies, which seem to at least double of a mold, there is all that lead wire to buy. or is that something that you can make at home as well?
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Buddy
    I can make better bullets than I can buy. I only swage one caliber (.451) though because the dies are so expensive. The dies do the job being consistent and repeatable so the trick is consistent core weights. I have Corbins adjustable 4 cav core mold, and it is a royal pita to use and adjust, yet gives up cheap cores. The lead wire is more expensive and requires tooling to cut it which I never did buy.

Another alternative to lead wire and casting is to use shot for the core and weigh it by hand. This is the method I use and is easier done than said using a Lee dipper. Unless you're swaging a FMJ though, shot will not give you a nose so I cap it with a plastic ball or more often, a single 00 buckshot.

Bullets swaged this way are the cats meow and make me look very good at the range. I may have to stop using shot for cores because of the price for it now.

Boolit Master
    I too fought these questions. Some of the equipment is high dollar for sure.
    Jackets and lead wire also cost quite a bit.
    However if you use dies that will work in a standard heavy duty press, cast your cores, and make your own jackets from fired cases its not bad at all.
    FOR ME, Cast boolits cover a lot of my shooting , but some of my shooting requires jacketed bullets.
    I now with my reasonably priced BTsnipers dies can make .44 cal and soon .475 cal jacketed boolits for not much more than cast.
    The price of a few boxes of condums will cover the cost of a a set of CH4d or better yet BTsniper one step dies.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I jumped on board so I could make my own jacketed bullets for 450 bushmaster since available bullets are so pricey. As a side benefit I size them down and can use them for 45 ACP as well. I have a virtually unlimited supply of .40 brass at my disposal so it was a no brainer for me.

The best thing though is you can make exactly what your gun wants. It all in the die setup, core weight, and brass trim length.

Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    i already cast boolits for all of my handguns, and the majority of my rifles. it seems to me, that swaging is a lot more expensive than casting. If you cast already and have all your molds then yes swaging is expensive. is there a payoff for the extra $? either in speed of production, or in the quality of the boolits. besides the dies, which seem to at least double of a mold, there is all that lead wire to buy. you are a boolit caster you dont need lead wire. or is that something that you can make at home as well?
    My reason to swag is because I hate shooting cast boolits in my XD 40. I've still not got exactly what I want in swaging my own 40's but getting really close.
    I would love a to swag for my 460wby rifle but I've not got that far. Cast boolits in that gun work good but again I hate cleaning the magna ports after a shooting seasion. So I'm back to shooting jacketed bullets.

The problem with swaging is at what point will you recover your start up cost for caliber X. In the case with my 460wby I only shoot about 100 rounds a year now. BT will have a die set out soon (I think) but with the cost of the die set I can buy ALOT of years of bullets before I break even.

Is swagin bullets worth it YES, but like everything in our hobby you need to weigh all your options before you leap.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Bub
    Polygonal barrels.

I know that you "CAN" shoot lead through them......but I like the fact that I can shoot them in my HK's, Glock, etc.

No worries about voiding any warranty.

I started out with .224 in 1R from Corbin then later added a 6R point forming die. I later got some inexpensive sets in .358 and .431 with multiple nose punches. (cast is better in those cals) Then I ran across a mega Corbin in .458, 1R HP. Lead wire is pricy but I found some ajustable core molds for .22 and .45. Jackets are still expensive but the
    J4's make better .224's than what I can buy.

Boolit Master
    Yep. Polygon barrel (Kahr) and gas port (Ruger carbine).

And they're fun to show, most people think it's a round that didn't go off
    'til they look at it carefully.

Boolit Master

The real goofy part is sometimes I cast so I can swage????

If I have a bullet mould with the right weight I will use them to make cores and also swaged lead bullets . It is odd when you think about it however if you swage a already lubed bullet the lube rings stay there . So a box of 200 gr 40 cal. bullets I got for free ended up .452 for 45 ACP.

I do think the only advantage you will get with swaging is being able to put a jacket on it.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

i just came from the corbin site. it looks to me that i am glad i chose casting. i have a lot more time, than money (i am disabled, and on a fixed income). it looks interesting though. and there are a few things that still interest me, like the bullet groover and knurling tool. i would think that those would still work just fine with a cast lead bullet. i think for the amount of jacketed bullets that i shoot, it would just be better for me to buy bullets, rather than try to make my own. i would NEVER recoup the start up costs, even if i didn't shoot any cast bullets. i would simply have to shoot less, because of my budget. i think it is every bit as intersting as casting, and a lot more precise. but for me, in my situation, i made the right choice. thanks to all for the information, i hope you enjoy your hobby, as much as i do mine!
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Question

Hello, I have a question with the swaging, they suffer the weapon?.

A greeting

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Hello, I have a question with the swaging, they suffer the weapon?.

A greeting
    Francisco,

Welcome to the sight. I need to answer your private messages still. The google translator can make it challenging to understand.

I do not think shooting brass bullets is harmfull to your barrels. Many people are doing it and Montana Gold Bullets commercialy offers bullets with a brass jacket.

I believe the bullets we can swage from brass can be even better then the commercial bullets offered.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

It pleases me to know that I can use the pods to construct bullets of .40, he will train very much with them IPSC

A greeting and graces for the compression

In Remembrance

If I may:

" It pleases me to know that I can use the TOOLS to make bullets in .40 S&W. I'll use them to do a lot of competition training.

Thank you for your explanation"

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    It pleases me to know that I can use the pods to construct bullets of .40, he will train very much with them IPSC

A greeting and graces for the compression

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER