Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Win 571 Powder (HS7)

Boolit Master

Win 571 Powder (HS7)

Due to the loss of a good friend to cancer, I have 'inherited' much powder. I have a nearly full 8# can of Win 571 which he used primarily for magnum 12 gauge loads. I would like to put it to use in my handgun shooting. I shoot many revolver calibers and a couple of autos as well.
    - 454,45c+P,45c,45acp,44m,44s,41m,40,357,38sp,32HR -

I understand it is the same powder as Hodgdons HS7. Would anyone care to share any favorite suggestions for use....

Thanks
    Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot Win. 571 in a 357 Mag. many yrs. ago.
    A very good powder for that particular application.

Ben

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the HS7/571 but I do know that HP38/WW231, H414?WW760 and H110/WW296 are all identical since Hodgon took over the Winchester powder operation. Hodgdon wont advertise it but if you call and ask, they will tell you.

Same powders, just different packaging.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Carolina, Hodgdon has acknowledged the equivalency. And those powders have always been the same powder. There is a sticky thread that mentions this.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are trying for THE hottest possible, but legal, safe .38 Super loads, this is THE powder
    to do it. My data is not available now, but if you are interested, PM me and I will find it in a
    couple of days. I developed the load and have fired about 70,000 rounds. Works real well
    and I eventually found the exact load as the max allowable load from Hodgdon in one of their
    older small load data books.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've run a bit of WW571 through some of my handguns, and don't have much use for it, because there are a lot better powders available.
    I think you've only two calibers that can use it to asdvantage... .41 Mag and .44 Mag.
    I've only got a .41Mag, and it is an M57 6", so I don't know what it will do in a .44.
    I've run up to 13.7gr with an RCBS SWC with a WW+2%, sized to .410, and lubed with RCBS Green, BAC, and Red Rooster. The cases were starting to stick about there, but the accuracy was dog-%#&*. The velocity was right around 1200fps, but the extreme-spread didn't impress me at all. Usually it was in the 90-120fps range.
    I used both CCI300 and CCI350 primers, and 300s were slightly better.
    When I sized the boolits to .413 and then hardened them to Lyman #2 or linotype the accuracy improved. The same lubes and primers apply.
    I also tried a Lee 240gr TL SWC lubrisized with Red Rooster and got up to 11gr of powder. The soft boolit didn't do well, but after I tried straight linotype, there was a SLIGHT improvement.
    I would not go buy it for this purpose, but since you have it, you might try it. It's performance-window seems to be near Herco's.
    It works better, in my mind, with a baby-Magnum load for the shotgun, but...
    Have fun,
    Gene

I have two favovrite loads that invlove HS-7. As mentioned above, it is great in .38 +P loads and one of my all-time favorite .38 +P loads is the Keith 154 grain HP loaded over 8.5 grains of HS-7. This load will generate 1050 fps from a 6" revolver and good accuracy.

Another of my all-time favorite HS-7 loads is found in the .45 Colt. According to the Hodgdon manual, 14.0 grains of HS-7 undeneath a 250 grain cast bullet in .45 Colt cases will generate 1000+ fps and do it at standard pressures. It is an excellent load.
    Glen

Boolit Master

I got you beat. I bought a 12 pounder in the 70's for my shotgun because it was a good deal. I only shot a couple of pounds. I am starting to load it in pistol shells but since I'm just starting I have no experience with it in pistols. I wish someone had a bunch of experience with it. I shoot 357 and 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    Bill, that is nice to know and thanks for the offer but the 38 Super is not one of my regular calibers. I may shoot one once in a while but not very regularly...

Does anyone use this stuff in the 45 acp with good results?

Thanks for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master

OMG I wish I was closer to you guys that have HS7 or 571 and don't load with it

As it is one of the very best 28 gau powders

Down to my last 5 or 6 lb

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I have very little left and wished it was still made; I've yet to find an equivalent. In my 454 Casull I use 15.5 grains behind a 300 grain LFN style PB design and it's been one of my most accurate loads running on the lower-mid grounds.

A bit of published info for the Casull; although it is jacketed info I used it as a starting point:
    http://www.freedomarms.com/loading.html

Boolit Master
    I have about six or seven pounds on hand and have been using it in the 9mm and 45 ACP. Meters nicely and I got it cheap years ago. I got the loads from an older Winchester handbook, didn't know it was the same as HS 7. Maybe I can use it in 357 and 44 mag, would help cut costs for new powder.

while i too originally got it for shotguns i ended up using the last few pounds in a 9 mm with 147 subsonic loads where it functioned fine , as stated any hs-7 data can be used for a good starting point
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Winchester 571 is one of the most accurate powders for heavy bullet loads in the 10mm Auto. I bought all Widener's had on hand when it was announced that it had been discontinued. I've still got about 8 pounds of it, and will hate to see my supply end.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    HS#7 is close enough to Blue Dot that you can use starting level loads to develop what you want or extrapolate from there. Here is Aliant's Guide.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

One thing people never seem to keep in mind is that shotgun powders are loaded in shotgun shells for shotgun pressure levels what ever those are in that particular situation.

That means powder compression from heavy lead with cases folded over the end and generally the hottest primers available.

So in addition to your lube hardness combo, you will need to meet the powders conditions for burn or it will be erratic.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used a lot of HS7/W571 in both shotshells and pistols, and would suggest you run it in the 15,000 psi plus range to clean it up a little. While a heavy shotshell powder, it barely runs at shotshell pressures, leaving a lot of residue. It was for 1.5 ounce loads in 12 gauge, for instance.

A little more speed and reasonable pressure cleans it up substantially. No reduced loads, in other words. It's more of a standard or higher power choice.

It seems to me that 6.0 grains of PowerPistol may be a compelling alternative to HS-7 for max power with a 154-158 grain LSWCHP. It's clean burning and meters well.